google fit

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,052
edited November 2014 in Commuting chat
For you android types google have released an app called google fit, it's a but like all the vendor specific fit apps but silent, I installed it yesterday and sure enough it's been tracking my riding and walking perfectly even the walk from the station bike lockers to the platform.

Mmmm more stats.
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Cool, I'll check this out later.

Do you find it has much effect on battery life?
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Lefthook
    Lefthook Posts: 124
    ITB, how did it track your cycling? Thought it only automatically tracked steps at the moment and you had to manually add other activities until other apps sync in to it, like strava.
  • CitizenLee
    Playstore link if anyone needs it...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ps.fitness

Just sending it to my Nexus 5 now :D
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I've been using "Moves" for a few months.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... s&hl=en_GB

Logs all your movement and can tell the difference between walking, running and cycling through a combination of accelerometer and GPS I think. Its pretty good, almost no effect on battery life either. Google Fit uses the same method I reckon. Google Fit will allow you to incorporate data from sources like Strava and Withings. Should be pretty cool.
  • itboffin
    Lefthook wrote:
    ITB, how did it track your cycling? Thought it only automatically tracked steps at the moment and you had to manually add other activities until other apps sync in to it, like strava.

no idea it just does and no hasnt touched that battery, i really hope they link it up with maps and the location service
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Lefthook
    Weird, downloaded it this morning before commute but it did not register my ride in. Has picked up my steps though, so clearly linking with the sensors in my HTC One (M8) to some degree. If anyone has the same phone and it registers a ride be interested to know.
  • CitizenLee
    Sucks I have to enable Location History but I guess it needs it (I generally run my phone in stealth mode).

Anyone figure out how to get it to talk to Strava?
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Sucks I have to enable Location History but I guess it needs it (I generally run my phone in stealth mode).

Anyone figure out how to get it to talk to Strava?

From the developers/product managers...
    [28/10/14] Hi everyone - thanks for your interest! The Strava-Fit integration is not live yet, but will be in the coming weeks. Thank you!

and
    [29/10/14] It's not out yet - we're rolling it out to our beta users today, and to all users next week!

But can someone explain to me the benefits of sharing one's strava data with Google? I can see a benefit for sedentary types, who might be looking for a convenient way of assessing their activity levels for general fitness/weight management reasons, but what's in it for the sort of people that cycle regularly and are keen enough to already be signed up to Strava?
  • CitizenLee
    Thanks Vermin.

Reason is just curiosity to see if/how it works and to geek out on some more stats really.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • Lefthook
    Well hopefully it might work as a hub for different apps. ie it takes your weight measurement from your withings scale, and then auto update your weight in strava and other linked apps.

Also lets you have a central app to look at all info.
  • itboffin
    Nice! Map support now there with good private zones.

I'm liking this more and more
  • vermin
    LOL. Upon arrival at the office this morning I was congratulated for exceeding my daily goal by 1 hour. :lol:
  • Seems pretty good to me, literally forgot I'd installed it yesterday until I got my congratulatory alert after a quick walk after lunch.

Cycling times are fairly accurate despite not touching the app. So far so good
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I know I'm sullying the thread, but I'm a bit tempted by the Microsoft Band. Seems it integrates happily with MS/iOS/Android, and with GPS and HRM along with other sensors. Mmmmm, stats
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • When I first read about it i thought the app was already there with all these interactions with other apps. The write up sounded like google fit was going to be the one stop hub for the data recorded by all the other tracking/health apps you use. Sounds like thge full functionality is still being developed by the other app developers. one thing to get the google fit out there another thing getting it to work as publicised designed.

The other thing is down to Google generally tracking you. Googling leads to your search data being recorded and used. Your websites visited are used to sell ads. What is the impact of having all the potential health measures being collated by this Google app and will it lead to this information being used/sold by Google? Just like facebook owns the rights to what you put on it does Google "own" your health infomatics? Tin hat is a little cockeyed but is it justified????

I only ask because I know people who have dealt with some big technology players in health related research. Intel, microsoft, etc. are all spending absolute stacks of cash on medical/health infomatics research. Health is considered the area where there is going to be the biggest growth. Bio-medical sensors for genetics, reproduction, health monitoring (for leisure, sport and medical use). Google won't be giving us this free app without getting something worthwhile back to them. Information is power and money afterall.

I can see how HRM monitoring via apps could help medical diagnosis and treatment. I know enough people who have had one of those heart rate monitors that you have to wear for 24 hours or a week (including in bed). They are then plugged into the hospital hardware to download the data. This is all now possible through the phone with the 24 hour potential for monitoring it live. This is a good use but purely commercial use? I wonder how this will develop.

BTW I plan to get the app at the weekend so all my wondering won;t stop me getting it. Its a new cool toy/app I wants it!! PS anyone know if the LG G2 has ANT+ compatibility? Is there a ANT without the +??? I wonder what my phone could connect to in the way of HRM, cadence, etc.
  • CitizenLee
    I uninstalled it as I really wasn't comfortable with Location History being enabled. I also came to the conclusion I really don't care about how many steps I do, and have Strava to take care of the cycling.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • notsoblue
    If you're interested to find out what Google knows about your location history, this site is worth a visit:
    https://maps.google.co.uk/locationhistory/b/0
  • CitizenLee
    notsoblue wrote:
    If you're interested to find out what Google knows about your location history, this site is worth a visit:

Every time I get a new Android device (a lot as I'm a geek :)) or flash a new ROM it's one of the first things I disable.

Not to be a tin foil hatter, but Google already knows far too much about everyone who uses their services.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • notsoblue
    CitizenLee wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

Every time I get a new Android device (a lot as I'm a geek :)) or flash a new ROM it's one of the first things I disable.

Not to be a tin foil hatter, but Google already knows far too much about everyone who uses their services.

I think anyone interested enough to single you out and with the ability to hack your data out of google, would be able to track your whereabouts just as easily by tracking your phone through the mobile network...
  • vermin
    I suppose this is nieve but if, hypothetically, one were super fit and did lots of exercise and ate healthily and never did anything one shouldn't do or went anywhere one shouldn't go, etc, wouldn't being constantly tracked and therefore having a complete record of one's movements and habits be a beneficial thing?
  • vermin wrote:
    I suppose this is nieve but if, hypothetically, one were super fit and did lots of exercise and ate healthily and never did anything one shouldn't do or went anywhere one shouldn't go, etc, wouldn't being constantly tracked and therefore having a complete record of one's movements and habits be a beneficial thing?

It would not solve the problem of them serving you relevant ads
  • itboffin
    So not concerned about what the mobile provider knows?

Last time I visited Scotland yard the soca boys were very enlightening, besides if you don't know you can't complain eh?!

Who knew you could tell not only location and evaluation ;-)
  • vermin
    Spell it out
  • itboffin
    Cross my sticky palms with beer vouchers first
  • CitizenLee
    notsoblue wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

I think anyone interested enough to single you out and with the ability to hack your data out of google, would be able to track your whereabouts just as easily by tracking your phone through the mobile network...

It's more the principle really, and the lack of control we have over our own information and personal data once in the hands of Google and their partners. I have no fear of hackers :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • It's really hit and miss, downloaded it Tuesday didn't register by cycle into work but did on the way home. Fine yesterday, again didn't register my commute in. Do I need to active it or something? Seems to record all the walking.
    Moda Prima 2013
    Giant Defy Advanced 1 2014
    Rose Pro DX Cross-3000 'MB' - STOLEN
    Langster SF 2015
  • vermin
    itboffin wrote:
    Cross my sticky palms with beer vouchers first

Unmarked. I'll see you in the Ship and Mitre, Liverpool, tonight.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    CitizenLee wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

It's more the principle really, and the lack of control we have over our own information and personal data once in the hands of Google and their partners. I have no fear of hackers :)
    The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • itboffin
    It now integrates with strava just in time for the app to stop working for bike activities, super
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    itboffin wrote:
    It now integrates with strava just in time for the app to stop working for bike activities, super

Does it link to an app to monitor your beer intake?