Checking parcel on delivery??

dieselgeezer
dieselgeezer Posts: 231
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
So your new bike/frame/wheels/parts arrive by Parcel Force/TNT/Yodel/whoever & the seller says you must check the contents before signing or you are responsible for damage. So the van driver is more than happy to stand around for 20 minutes while you get into the box & start scrutineering. In the real world that doesn't happen. So what do you do if the contents are damaged. Anyone been caught or have experience of this?
-- "I am but a spoke in the wheel of life" -- Ghandi

Comments

• norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    So your new bike/frame/wheels/parts arrive by Parcel Force/TNT/Yodel/whoever & the seller says you must check the contents before signing or you are responsible for damage. So the van driver is more than happy to stand around for 20 minutes while you get into the box & start scrutineering. In the real world that doesn't happen. So what do you do if the contents are damaged. Anyone been caught or have experience of this?

If any packaging arrives damaged then I would sign as damaged and photograph it before you open it, just so you can show the box was damaged on arrival should anything inside be broken.

You don't actually have to though, the contract is between the sender and the courier, and if it arrives damaged it has nothing to do with you. It's up to the sender to claim from the courier.

I'm a postie btw, and wouldn't even entertain a customer opening a parcel before they sign for it. They can either take it or refuse it.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    sign it "not checked" if you are bothered, but the sender isn't going to have a get out by saying oh you signed for it. the signature is to verify receipt not the condition.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • I ordered a bike from Wiggle for my daughter's birthday - I signed for it without checking the contents (contrary to what it said on the box). Left it unopened in the garage, then the day before her birthday I went to build it. Found out it had been damaged in transit (I think the box had been transported pointing upwards as there was damage to the back mudguard). Took photos, notified Wiggle, and they were great. No issues whatsoever - full refund. However I did have to make a panicked dash to Halfords to make sure there was a present ready for the birthday ... which was a bit of a shame as I really wanted to get the Bobbin.
  • mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    Re the posties comment above.
    As a customer, if a parcel arrives damaged I refuse to accept it unless I can check it. Only happened once, by Royal Mail, the postie didn't like it. There and then I rang the sorting office and he was firmly put in his place. Couldn't see why he had a problem. The packaging was part opened and by checking I covered both his arse and mine.
    If its a courier this is regarded as normal.