Is it normal to think that....................

letap73
letap73 Posts: 1,608
edited October 2014 in Road general
A bike that could be bought for £4500 is a bargain and a really tempting buy even though you have too many bikes and no real reason to buy it. :(

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yeah, but no, but.......
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    It's probably as normal as showing off your wealth in various other ways.
  • letap73
    phreak wrote:

Except who does it really impress?

A Ferrari might impress some shallow young lady to go out with you, but a top end pinarello/colnago/etc is more likely to make people think you a k#ob especially if you wearing your top end ASSOS shorts with it Kuku penthouse. :(
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    No idea, but I suspect few luxury purchases are made for their utilitarian value.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    letap73 wrote:
    phreak wrote:

Except who does it really impress?

A Ferrari might impress some shallow young lady to go out with you, but a top end pinarello/colnago/etc is more likely to make people think you a k#ob especially if you wearing your top end ASSOS shorts with it Kuku penthouse. :(

Exactly, it's just a bike to everyone else. When you are into something it's just nice to own quality stuff (and human nature to want to own it) regardless of what anyone thinks or cares, because to 99% of the people you see when out on it it's no different to a £50 BSO.

'I want it' is a completely valid reason for buying something. :)
  • nothing wrong buying what you want when you want even if you dont need it. Can always sell it if you dont use it etc!
  • Didn't Oscar Wilde say, " A fool knows the price of everything and the value of nothing." Just buy it!
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    letap73 wrote:
    A bike that could be bought for £4500 is a bargain and a really tempting buy even though you have too many bikes and no real reason to buy it. :(

When you say "could be bought" are you saying you can buy it, whatever, or that it was more, say 6k, or even 9k?
  • letap73
    DaveP1 wrote:
    letap73 wrote:

When you say "could be bought" are you saying you can buy it, whatever, or that it was more, say 6k, or even 9k?

It was more like a £10000 bike :lol:

However, a purchase like that should be bought because its something you really want and not because it happens to be a "bargain".
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    if it is worth £10,000 then buy two, sell one for £9,000 and keep the other, then it is free.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    khisanth wrote:
    nothing wrong buying what you want when you want even if you dont need it. Can always sell it if you dont use it etc!
    Well that's very debatable!
    I would be inclined to think there is something wrong with it.
    The real question is why do you want it?
    To me, there's something quite shallow, unsatisfying and kinda dirty feeling about the ultra consumerist approach of buying on "want" without need or even a certainty you'll get any use or enjoyment out of it. Better off giving your money away than using it quite that flippantly.
  • crikey
    crikey Posts: 362
    Remember too that there is a very blurred and slender line between 'the best kit for the job' and 'all the gear, no idea'...
  • Ai_1 wrote:
    khisanth wrote:
    nothing wrong buying what you want when you want even if you dont need it. Can always sell it if you dont use it etc!
    To me, there's something quite shallow, unsatisfying and kinda dirty feeling about the ultra consumerist approach of buying on "want" without need or even a certainty you'll get any use or enjoyment out of it. Better off giving your money away than using it quite that flippantly.

I'm getting a stiff neck looking up to the moral high ground.
  • Ai_1 wrote:
    khisanth wrote:

Thanks for the moral lesson about where I choose to spend my money after covering costs for the family, friends and life. I'll definitely take notice.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    You guys are absolutely entitled to spend your money as you see fit. Just as I'm entitled to give my opinion....which was solicited by the way.
  • johnny25
    johnny25 Posts: 344
    If you want the bike, buy it. Whether you 'need' it is a completely different matter.

I'd go as far to say most of don't need bikes costing more than a couple of thousand pounds.

On the flip side, I recently bought an expensive bike because I wanted it. I don't need the bike but, like the majority of us on this site, I work bloody hard so saved my money as I 'wanted' a bike different from the masses. The price reflected that.