Permanently wet helmet straps

markiegrim
markiegrim Posts: 136
edited November 2014 in Road beginners
Bit of a wierd one this

Have had my helmet a year. For the last few months the straps never dry out, even if I dont use it for a couple of weeks! Guess it must be sweat. Pretty yuck now when putting it on

Accept I should probably be washing it..but no bad smell...and still doesnt solve the "permanently wet" thing

Any thoughts/experiences?

Comments

• fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    Reckon someone's peeing on your helmet, just for laughs.
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    It's ectoplasm, your helmet is possessed.
  • olake92
    olake92 Posts: 182
    I find that's just the feel of sweaty straps. Give it a wash with detergent/soap, dry it out and see how it feels!
    I'm on Twitter! Follow @olake92 for updates on my racing, my team's performance and some generic tweets.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If you've never washed them there's a good chance they now contain quite a lot of salt. Which at this time of year means they'll be acting hygroscopically and sucking moisture from the air, so if they feel damp they probably are. Give them as good a wash as you can, and then make sure they are completely dry before wearing again.

The label on my Garmin HRM strap appears to suggest washing every 5 or 7 uses (can't remember exactly which). I'm sure if that became saturated with salt it would adversely affect it's performance.
  • keef66 wrote:
    If you've never washed them there's a good chance they now contain quite a lot of salt. Which at this time of year means they'll be acting hygroscopically and sucking moisture from the air, so if they feel damp they probably are. Give them as good a wash as you can, and then make sure they are completely dry before wearing again.

The label on my Garmin HRM strap appears to suggest washing every 5 or 7 uses (can't remember exactly which). I'm sure if that became saturated with salt it would adversely affect it's performance.

Cheers for that. Based on dim recollections of school chemistry, I thought it might be something like that. Have washed and will see how it goes
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Do you dry the straps/pads when you get back from a sweaty/rainy ride, or just leave them fully wet?

I blot mine with kitchen towel and then put somewhere warm (i.e. not cold garage with the bike).
    If I know i am using the next day I might put in the bottom of airing cupboard. Basically same thing I do with shoes.
  • Philby
    Philby Posts: 328
    I often wear a buff under my helmet which reduces the amount of sweat getting onto the straps - when I don't I can see the salt crystallise on the straps.
  • Buy a second helmet (doesn't need to be expensive) and rotate them. While one is washed/drying you're using the clean, dry one.
  • It would be the salt build up.

Best thing to do is to invest in a can of motorbike helmet cleaner. Its like a foam, just spray it on, leave it for a bit then wipe off. It sanitises the straps and padding, makes them smell fresh again.