Clicking / Creaking front disk brake.

gt-arrowhead
gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
edited October 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Im getting a really annoying clicking and creaking sound coming from my front disk brake. I have had the problem for a fair while now, but it was really faint before. But i have now changed pads to organic and it seems to have made it worse. I have been using sintered pads since the end of last winter (same set) and have been okay. I swapped to organics recently and the clicks have gotten worse for some reason.

I also dont have the great increase in power either. I have increased power in the rear, but the front seems to have gotten slightly worse if anything after the new pads.

I dont know what to do. I could go on a mission and change discs, swap to my rigid fork, put old pads in etc... but that is extremely long. So far i have done nothing to try and stop it. Other than try loads of really hard stops from high speed to try and get it to do something. To increase power and get the clicking to go.

Even when i am off the bike and i grab the front brake and have the bike rolling with the rear wheel in the air i can still hear it when i apply the brakes.

I am 99.999% sure i have no contamination on the pads or the disk.

My brakes are Tektro Auriga Comps, pads are Clarks organic pads (from halfords) and the disc is this in 203mm
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BARADINE-Cycl ... 35c61fe79b

Anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    Forgot to add, maybe its that the disc itself is too "clean"? Last time i was getting poor power, it would mend itself after an hour or so in the forest, due to the dustiness etc. But i cant do that now because its just all muddy. I wiped down the disc with a completely clean cloth and i had barely any black residue come off, and from appearance the disc seemed to be pretty shiny and smooth. Maybe just the disc being to clean is the reason?
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    I had a click from the front on a set of shimano m446s with Shimano pads, drove me crazy, mainly happened after not using the brake for a little while (braking multiple times quickly it stopped happening), turned out it was the pads moving as the clamped the disc, since fitting uberbike pads it hasn't happened.