Threatened for telling someone to ride on the road

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,538
edited November 2014 in Commuting chat
Don't normally pipe up, but walking back to work this morning, and a lowlife on a bike skims past my right handside on a knackered old mtb - without thinking about it I politely informed him, with zero swearwords or aggression, that 'This is a footpath, and you are on a bike, and should be on the road' at which he rides over to me and tells me I have a big mouth and is going to throw me through a bush.
I just walked off at this point.

It's this kind of thing that gets me down about this country, as there seems to be so many of these lowlife scum out there - am I being too harsh? Perhaps it is the same in all countries, but part of me suspects possibly not.

Next time I guess I keep my mouth shut, or risk being attacked for pointing out a fact of law.

I despair.
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• No suprise, scum elements of society go through their whole lives with no authoritarian figure giving them any consequences for their actions. Roll on a big debate whether they should be strung up from lamp posts or sent into therapy and given a hug.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    No suprise, scum elements of society go through their whole lives with no authoritarian figure giving them any consequences for their actions. Roll on a big debate whether they should be strung up from lamp posts or sent into therapy and given a hug.

Given therapy whilst strung up from a lamp post. Alternatively, given a hug.. by a grizzly bear.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I work in an industrial estate and occasionally cycle on the pavement when the roads are jam packed with busses and HGVs and they don't leave you enough room to filter, or as is common lately, the drains are overflowing and you can't see the pot holes.

People like me make me sick :roll:
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Throw you through a bush?

What a bizarrely mild threat. Round these parts one is usually invited to a knife party, although I am occasionally amused to hear the threat that "I'm gonna burst you", which sounds quite fun!
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    You're telling him something he a) already knows and b) doesn't give two hoots about. What reaction would you expect, gratitdue?

I only say stuff to people if it's bad enough for full on swearing and vitriol.
  • I always think it is funny that they act so tough and all that but don't want to go on the big scary road!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It never ceases to amaze me how many people these days can't cope with work as they 'don't like people telling them what to do', clearly the parenting and 10+ years at school were an abject failure then!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    pastryboy wrote:
    You're telling him something he a) already knows and b) doesn't give two hoots about. What reaction would you expect, gratitdue?

+1

There's nothing worse than opinionated people who feel a need to share their opinions with anyone and everyone, rather than keeping it to themselves.

Once had a old couple tell me i should ride on the road as i went past them (on a centrally divided cycle/foot path). Surprisingly, it wasn't the fact that they were in the wrong that annoyed me so much as their need to just shout things at passing strangers. Had that well off, middle class Daily Mail reading look about them that suggested they liked the sound of their own voice and would regail anyone who would listen about their views on whats wrong with the world.
  • CitizenLee
    Ouija wrote:
    pastryboy wrote:

+1

There's nothing worse than opinionated people who feel a need to share their opinions with anyone and everyone, rather than keeping it to themselves.

Once had a old couple tell me i should ride on the road as i went past them (on a centrally divided cycle/foot path). Surprisingly, it wasn't the fact that they were in the wrong that annoyed me so much as their need to just shout things at passing strangers. Had that well off, middle class Daily Mail reading look about them that suggested they liked the sound of their own voice and would regail anyone who would listen about their views on whats wrong with the world.

Well said. Nowt worse than a busy body.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Always pick your fights...
    Scum on BSOs/bikes that are too small for them - leave them alone
    Goes for people driving white transit vans too.

They know they are in the wrong, but don't give a shit. They won't change because someone pointed out their mistake.
    So there is no point in being polite, if you have to do it, you have to address them like they would address you if the situations were reversed (with lots of swearing and threats of violence).
    Try to 'out chav' them and they may back down.
    (But that is a big risk, which I don't think is worth taking.)
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Walls82
    Walls82 Posts: 126
    Ahh yes the old bush push - Harry hill did a feature on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4a5HLAXrbM

I once got told off for jumping a light by by an old lady - I just looked at her confused as she was crossing the road in front of me (I had overtaken cars to go in the bike box at lights).
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    No suprise, scum elements of society go through their whole lives with no authoritarian figure giving them any consequences for their actions.
    Ouija wrote:
    pastryboy wrote:

+1

So should we try and correct inappropriate behaviour or leave well alone - I'm confused!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Ouija wrote:
    There's nothing worse than opinionated people

That's just your opinion.
    CitizenLee wrote:

Yes, the sort of person that enters a room and starts criticising people and name calling. :roll:

Hmm ... nope, can't think of anything worse...
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Was it a footpath or a footway? The legal distinction is important. You are allowed to ride on a footpath unless prohibited by local bylaw.

In London certainly best to just ignore it. 'Disrespect' the wrong nutter and you end up shot or stabbed. It's just not worth the risk.
  • Funniest when it backfires.

Last year I was cycling in Oxford. Coming up to turn left on a green filter light. Late middle aged couple standing as if waiting to cross. Almost at the junction and the guy suddenly leaps out and starts waving his arms shouting "Red light! Red light!". Wasn't actually carrying the Daily Mail but would have fitted.

I stopped just in time and he got even angrier when I couldn't help laughing, only to walk back to the pavement rather sheepishly after I pointed to the green light, and that it was good I wasn't driving a lorry.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Roll on a big debate whether they should be strung up from lamp posts or sent into therapy and given a hug.

String them from lamp post AND give their legs a big hug?

Personally, if I ever give the Yoof of Today the benefit of my experience and wisdom, I expect some grief.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Slowbike wrote:
    No suprise, scum elements of society go through their whole lives with no authoritarian figure giving them any consequences for their actions.
    Ouija wrote:
    pastryboy wrote:

+1

So should we try and correct inappropriate behaviour or leave well alone - I'm confused!

Leave well alone. Your not correcting diddly squat, your just venting your own frustration and coming across as Harry Enfields "I don't think you wanted to do that" character....

_38191529_enfield_man300.jpg

I certainly didn't say a word to the old couple who felt the need to say anything, just ignored them and went on my way.

I mean, you wouldn't walk up to somebody stabbing someone to death and say.. "Excuse me, i don't think your allowed to do that" with a smug look of righteousness on your face, would you?
  • CitizenLee
    vermin wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:

Yes, the sort of person that enters a room and starts criticising people and name calling. :roll:

Hmm ... nope, can't think of anything worse...

If you're implying I did that then I don't think so. "Busy Body" is hardly name calling and reading back my previous two posts in this thread I don't see where I criticised anyone. I merely voiced an opinion, as have others, and just because you don't agree doesn't mean I'm not allowed to have that opinion.

It's a discussion forum, not a let's all agree and be high and mighty forum.
    Ouija wrote:

Leave well alone. Your not correcting diddly squat, your just venting your own frustration and coming across as Harry Enfields "I don't think you wanted to do that" character....

_38191529_enfield_man300.jpg

I certainly didn't say a word to the old couple who felt the need to say anything, just ignored them and went on my way.

I mean, you wouldn't walk up to somebody stabbing someone to death and say.. "Excuse me, i don't think your allowed to do that" with a smug look of righteousness on your face, would you?

Again, well said Ouija.

It's not the place of an individual to correct the behaviour of others. Leave it to the police / city wardens etc... you know, the people whose job it is.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • slowbike
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Again, well said Ouija.

It's not the place of an individual to correct the behaviour of others. Leave it to the police / city wardens etc... you know, the people whose job it is.

Hmm ... don't entirely agree ... depends on the situation.

Depends who,what,why and when ... and the chances of coming off worse.
  • CitizenLee
    Slowbike wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Again, well said Ouija.

Just makes me think of the saying Counting Other Peoples Sins Doesn’t Make You A Saint
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • slowbike
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Again, well said Ouija.

Just makes me think of the saying Counting Other Peoples Sins Doesn’t Make You A Saint

Never thought it would ... but if I thought someone was causing a danger to my nieces or nephews by riding where they shouldn't then I'd probably say something. If someone was doing something anti-social (eg not picking up after their dog) then again, I may say something.
    I'd define busybodies as those who would say something despite the fact that the person their admonishing is not interfering with anyone else.

I'm actually reminded of a story told locally where some kids used to hang out in a garage compound in the dark and frighten/threaten any elderly residents that came in. Police weren't interested so some of the blokes got together and hid in the compound with a few "tools" ... the kids had a bit of a shock when they came in and decided that perhaps they wouldn't frighten the old folk again.

It's a bit of an extreme example - but by never saying or doing anything when we see something generally accepted as socially unacceptable then we (as a society) are allowing that to become the norm. As with everything there's a careful balance between being a busybody and ignoring everything but I believe it sensible to say something providing it is safe to do so.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Sorry, can't agree with that. Might not have bothered in that particular case but I have stuck my oar in on other occasions. Stopped a bloke beating on his girlfriend in the street, broken up a few fights, stopped a bloke from hitting a girl that had thrown her drink over him and stopped a kid that was writing graffiti on a wall. Oh, once threw a lit cigarette butt back into a car as I was passing a line of traffic. That got his attention.
    Everybody turning a blind eye to things is one of the reasons this place is going to shite.
  • CitizenLee
    My mate got charged with assault for stopping a guy beating up his girlfriend, and he didn't even throw a punch... the couple just both turned on him and then shopped him to the cops when they turned up.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • You can't always predict the response you will get either. In the summer I was riding home from work down a quiet backroad and spotted a very large very smartly dressed guy ambling along the centre of the road in a rather unsteady manner. I was deciding if I should call out but he was on the other side of the road and I thought I'd just ride past. Just as I was about to pass he veered in my direction, saw me at the last moment and said 'You sir, need to get a bell' I thought I'd join in the spirit of things, so replied, 'and you mate need to look where you're going' He absolutely exploded, ranting and swearing and as I rode into the distance I could hear him still kicking off. I was looking over my shoulder the rest of the way back in case he'd jumped in a car and come after me.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    CitizenLee wrote:
    My mate got charged with assault for stopping a guy beating up his girlfriend, and he didn't even throw a punch... the couple just both turned on him and then shopped him to the cops when they turned up.
    That is ridiculous, but I'd still intervene. Look at it the other way, you see a bloke beating on a girl and ignore it. The next day you read in the news that a girl was attacked and raped. But you did nothing when you could have stopped it.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    CitizenLee wrote:

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • CitizenLee
    Yeah but I also wouldn't want to leave my kids without a Dad.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-de ... e-29785503
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Yeah but I also wouldn't want to leave my kids without a Dad.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-de ... e-29785503
    That was a man doing the right thing but having unfortunate consequences.
    He could as easy been running for a bus.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • CitizenLee
    That was just one of many stories of have a go heroes coming a cropper.

I do however get your point, but there are bigger problems we need to address as a society than people cycling on the pavement... like rich tax dodgers, government sponsored genocide, the demonization of the poor/working class, ATOS, selling of the HNS etc.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous: