CatEye Bike Lights, Best Buy?

Cody
Cody Posts: 565
edited October 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hello, just need some advice on which bike lights to buy for my MTB.

Just to brief,

I've started exercising after taking some advice from other users on this forum, to mention a few, cooldad, paul skibum, rookie and rockmonkey and a few others, basically exercising during the week mainly at night after 7-8pm for roughly around 20-30 minutes and will start doing mornings aswell after 7am for around 20-30 minutes, riding locally. I was just wondering if a pair of CatEye Rapid 5 rear LED bike light in red casing will do a good job on dark nights? I'm planning on buying it from eBay for £14.99. Here is a quick review of the rear light >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQRNDTDemgE

Also, I've seen a CatEye Rapid 3 LED front bike light but on eBay it's only in America for £14.99 but with £14.99 postage which I don't want to pay. So was wondering if this light is any good on dark nights aswell and if so, where in the UK can I purchase one from? Here is a quick review of the front light on YouTube >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeL-8Qku96w

Other than that, if these lights are no good, could you tell me which ones are best buy for my budget of £30 and willing to go up to £40 if they are really really good lights. I kinda prefer LED as I've been told they're much brighter, last longer and are good value for money. However I could be wrong. I don't have a preference over battery operated or rechargeable but would prefer battery operated so as to avoid charging all the time.

Please advise, thanks.

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Huge thread on lights in buying advice mate.

I wouldn't go for cat eye personally. They're pretty pants. I have a set of neema (I think) and they're fine for emergency get you home lights but nothing more. You'd be better off with a Cree torch or 2 for the front, a cat eye would probsbly be ok for the rear mind you. Still available for less than £30 all in
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nima I think. I have a pair on my commuter (because they were cheap - £10 for the set). Rear is fine, front OK for riding down the main street. For real dark I have a Cree torch strapped to the front.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cateye-Nima-B ... 4d228822f1
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    And they do come with batteries.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Cody
    thanks, I've saved a set in my watchlist, might place an order tonight. WelshKev/Cooldad, do you have a link for the Cree torch, do I need one if I purchase the Nima set? I'm not bothered about long distance visibility, just some lights that I can be seen far off with for safety, to make others aware of my presence.
  • welshkev
    I would re come d a Cree torch. CD posted a link I think

Apologies, no he didn't. Check the. 'What lights' thread.

The Nima front definitely is visible from far away
  • Cody
    Yh I've spotted it. I'll give it a read when I get back, off out for a ride.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If you're doing short rides on road have a look at the Lezyne Micro Drive. 150 lumens, light and compact, 1.5 hour battery life and a built in USB charger.
    I just got a front for commuting from ebay for under £20 (+postage).
    Just the job on unlit country lanes and very good for the price.
  • welshkev
    oxoman wrote:
    front light i would sooner get a Moon Xpower 300 USB chargeable and reliable unlike my cheap ebay cree thing.

I've had my 2 torches and magic shine for 3 years now and they're still going strong. maybe you just had a bad one?

the whole set only came to £45 IIRC