Mezzanine Floor

Red Rider
Red Rider Posts: 93
edited November 2014 in The cake stop
Major first world problem time, but has anyone ever had a mezzanine level put in to their house? We're about to buy a house with one large living space with very high ceilings, and it seems like a good idea to give us a separate TV area. (Thus also meaning part of the main area can be used for bike storage!)

I know there would be a lot of variables, but what would be the ball park figure to construct a free-standing (it's listed, so we can't go knocking down walls) mezzanine from nice timber, with a floor space of about 6m x 2.5m.

I have Googled my a*se off to no avail. And pro's want to do a site visit - which I can't do at the minute, cos we don't own the house.

I just want to know if it's an unachievable pipe dream cos these things cost £20k+ or whether it's as simple as it sort of looks (to a non-expert) and a few grand might do the job...

Anyone?

Comments

• graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    Sounds like your looking to build a freestanding (If tight fitting) indoor raised decking area.
    That's the kind of project I'd want to complete myself. Sounds quite straight forward, if you're handy with a saw and hammer you could save yourself a fortune.
  • I suspect it would fall down fairly swiftly if I tried to do it myself.

Was hoping to avoid it, but I might have to suck it up and join some sort of Builders/DIY forum for view...

Thanks to all who bothered to read this though!
  • metronome
    metronome Posts: 670
    Regular scaffolding would work - as the foundation at least. Sure I knew someone who did that. Inexpensive, easy to do yourself and, AND, if you get bored on a rainy Sunday you can take it apart like Mechano and rebuild something entirely different.
    tick - tick - tick
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    metronome wrote:
    Regular scaffolding would work - as the foundation at least. Sure I knew someone who did that. Inexpensive, easy to do yourself and, AND, if you get bored on a rainy Sunday you can take it apart like Mechano and rebuild something entirely different.
    That's a good idea, would suite a loft/warehouse style conversion. I just wish I had the ceiling height.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    I'm certain a project like that would be be subject to building regs. If you build an extra floor inside your house it will have to conform to a standard for safety reasons.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Have a chat with these guys, I'm sure they could do something for you...

http://www.courtyarddesigns.co.uk/index.aspx
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    My local carpenter said he would do it for 1800 euros, but you would have to pay his daily travel expenses :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • I think the building regs requirements require any floor that will be used for anything other than just storage, to be fire protected. Not fire-proof or anything, just of sufficient standard to not fall down within 30 minutes or something. Scaffolding might not cut this...
    My local carpenter said he would do it for 1800 euros, but you would have to pay his daily travel expenses

We could put him up for the week? It's the best quote I've had yet - so might be worth it!

Courtyard Designs could be a good shout. Perhaps a mezzanine swimming pool http://www.courtyarddesigns.co.uk/pool_houses.aspx is pushing it though?
  • Red Rider wrote:
    Courtyard Designs could be a good shout. Perhaps a mezzanine swimming pool http://www.courtyarddesigns.co.uk/pool_houses.aspx is pushing it though?

Yeah, a mezzanine swimming pool might be a bit beyond them! Give 'em a shout, speak to Alan or Pam. I'm sure they could offer you something, if an oak frame is what you're after.
  • Right then, I manufacture mezzanine floors.

Yes I can give you a budget figure without a survey, I'd just need a few more details so use the PM if you want but to be honest it isn't going to set you back any more than a few grand for something of those dimensions.

However it would be made from steel but seeing as it should be fire rated you wouldn't see it anyway so you can achieve that with plasterboard which is very easy then just skim it to achieve the required finish. If you want a fancy staircase you're best off sourcing that yourself.

Your main problem will be point loads generated by the supporting columns, chances are your foundations will not be up to scratch so you might need to dig some pads, generally about 800mm to a metre cube will be sufficient.

You will need Building Regs on the structure, I can provided structural calcs for this, alternatively I can submit it to an approved inspector to save the hassle of using a local authority.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    IMAGENAME-136394186553902601
  • Err, ok?

RR did you see a PM? For some reason I've got yours but I've got 2 sat in my outbox... If you have an email address I can send to that instead.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Delightful picture...

Thanks HD - I've got your PM now. V. helpful.