Rockshox xc 32 - tyre rub

andyrich_1
andyrich_1 Posts: 32
edited October 2014 in MTB buying advice
This is more like what have I done rather than should I buy these forks.
I've bought a set XC 32 forks, they have good reviews and I wanted to replace the very worn forks on my second hand Trek ticket (probably about ten years old). The trouble is now I've fitted them it top of the forks rub against the tyre.

I ordered the forks for 26 inch wheels and I can't find anything details that would indicate that fitting should be a problem.

What have I done?

rockshoxtyre.jpg

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Your tyres are too big for the fork. What are they?
  • That's what it looks like, or that the forks are for a different size wheel.

I can't take a look at the tyre type until tonight but it was ok with the original forks. Usually there's at least a couple of cms clearance above the tyres and I don't remember the tyres being unusually tall.

The forks are designed for cross country is there a special cross country tyre I need? I'd rather buy a new set of tyres than get stuck with a set of forks that I can't use.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so what size tyres have you got? and yes you have the correct fork size.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Tyre size...

My Rebas don't take anything much bigger than a 2.3 in Contis. Shwalbes I have to be more careful as their sizing is way out on some models.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    Tyre size...

My Rebas don't take anything much bigger than a 2.3 in Contis. Shwalbes I have to be more careful as their sizing is way out on some models.

Ditto with my Rebas. With 2.2 Conti RQ I have to remove the neoguard. I'd like to fit 2.2 Bonty XR4s but I think these could be just as bad.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Judging by the tread pattern, that tyre's a Continental Gravity - only available in 2.3", I believe.

Big, heavy choice for XC ;)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's a jump bike, not an XC bike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    In which case why fit XC forks.......the forks are XC so sized for XC tyres......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    It comes with xc forks and lots of dj riders use XC forks.
    Odd choice of tyre for dirt jumping.
  • Thanks for all the replies, I am very much new to mountain biking so this probably won't be the last 'learning exercise'.

I'm going to get some more suitable tyres and dump the massive floats I've got fitted at the moment.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Are you using it as a jump bike?
    These are good dirt jump tyres and cheap
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... lsrc=aw.ds
  • No jumping for me. I'll mostly just be riding through the woods on firetrails and the odd exploration into the interesting parts of the Mendip hills. I was thinking of Michelin Wild Grip'R they are pretty cheap and the review look ok for the price.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It'll be pretty nasty for what you want to use it for.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    It's ok as an xc frame if you're not too tall. The Ticket is quite useable for a dj/4x frame.
    If you're riding on the mendips take a look at Rowberrow, some good trails up there. You can link it up with Velvet bottom and the Cheddar cliff top bridleway and back up around black rock quarry.
    The only tyre I have found which works in the claggy, horrible mendip mud is the Bontrager XR4 and I know the 2.2" version fits in your fork.
  • Rowberrow and velvet bottom is exactly what I had in mind. Thanks for the tyre suggestion Rockmonkey
  • rockmonkeysc
    Velvet Bottom has no technical riding but it's a nice link to Cheddar Gorge.