Cervelo r3 vs Roubaix

Needanotherbike
Needanotherbike Posts: 5
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
I like the idea of getting a bike that can soak up all the cracks, bumps and potcholes of british roads. I am looking at a specialized roubaix or the cervelo r3. Both have ultrega, the cervelo probably looks better but costs a bit more. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Comments

• nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    My experience of the Roubaix (albeit a few year old model + low end) was that it's a comfy ride and very neutral feeling, a good thing a lot of the time but never really put a smile on my face (it's now a winter bike). I'd imagine the current models (especially the higher end versions with stiffer frames) are a bit more exciting to ride and hopefully still comfy along with it. What's your budget? What about the Trek Domane to?
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I haven't checked so I may be wrong but I think the Roubaix and Cervelo have quite different geometry with the Roubaix having a fairly long headtube. If the geometry is not similar then that should probably be your main criteria for choosing between them.
  • My budget would be about 3k. So if I got a roubaix I could upgrade the wheels where the cervelo would be the max of my budget. I havent seen the trek so could look into that.
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    I've just gone with the Cervelo R2 ...
    I appreciate it may not be for you .. But .. It's the R3 frame with a different fork (the mud one?) and plenty of clearance for wider tires. Comes with new 11speed 105 which isn't miles away from the current Ultegra in terms of performance and feel I'm told.

At 2k it leaves you a fair chunk for "nice wheels" :D
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • domc21
    domc21 Posts: 86
    What about saving a little longer and getting the Bianchi Infinito CV?
  • dazz_ni45
    dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
    Or the Cannondale Synapse. Very happy with mine
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    R3 would be my choice, running on 25mm wheels will be comfy enough on most stuff
  • marco67
    marco67 Posts: 91
    I've just moved from a Roubaix to the Canyon Endurace CF, and i'm delighted with it. I have the model with 11 speed 105 which works like clockwork.
    For £2K you can get a 11 speed Campag Chorus model that you wouldn't need to upgrade anything on IMHO, or for a little more a full 11 speed Dura Ace.
    Ciao Marco
  • Ai_1 wrote:
    I haven't checked so I may be wrong but I think the Roubaix and Cervelo have quite different geometry with the Roubaix having a fairly long headtube. If the geometry is not similar then that should probably be your main criteria for choosing between them.

Shame the OP ignored this, hardly worth adding anything else.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • sopworth
    sopworth Posts: 191
    I think there are many bikes that claim to eat up road bumps and the like, but for the majority it will come down to frame stiffness but ultimately the fit of the bike and how you put the bike together, such as wheels, tyres, saddle etc.
    I moved from a Felt F series to a Cervelo R3. I love the R3 so much more than the Felt but that's because I believe I've found a bike tha suits me. Bumps and poor road surface seem to be less of an effect than the Felt.
    I'd say to the OP to find a bike that fits him and he is comfortable on first and foremost as further comfort can be sort through saddles etc.