newbie mtb

markyone
markyone Posts: 1,119
edited October 2014 in MTB beginners
I have just bought my first mountain bike this http://www.merlincycles.com/beone-crd-p ... 65335.html
I have been road riding for 12 years and not intending to pack in.I bought this to go with my roadie mates from our cycling club for the winter :D I think I have a good buy but not up to scratch with mtbs what do you guys think as a starter bike?i will learn more about mtb as time goes on,things like servicing etc etc so I will be asking lots of questions in the future :oops:
Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
Pinarello F8 with sram etap

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Well you should feel at home - looks like someone stuck a flat bar on a road bike :P

Seriously, though - the drivetrain and brakes are all excellent (especially at that price).
    Frame geometry is very old-school XC, but like I said, that might suit you coming from a roadie background.
    Fork might be a bit flexy with 29" wheel, but I guess you're not going to be slamming it through hard turns and rock gardens.
  • markyone
    jimothy78 wrote:
    Well you should feel at home - looks like someone stuck a flat bar on a road bike :P

Seriously, though - the drivetrain and brakes are all excellent (especially at that price).
    Frame geometry is very old-school XC, but like I said, that might suit you coming from a roadie background.
    Fork might be a bit flexy with 29" wheel, but I guess you're not going to be slamming it through hard turns and rock gardens.
    Thanks I will be very cautious on my first ride which will be sat.
    When you talk about flex will it be that bad?
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    "it will require the front wheel & bars fiting and some fine tuning of the gears are brakes"

Fiting? Gears are brakes?

How fast do they type at Merlin!

Weight: 26.2lb = nice. My last MTB was something like 34lb.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not at all a bad bike, as noted the XC32 is a little flxy on a 29er, you may want some flex on a road bike for comfort, on an MTB the suspension does the comfort, flax mostly just gives a feeling of 'vagueness' to steering or can show as a slight unwanted turning of the front wheel, not a disaster and you probably won't notice anything unless, as Jimothy says you are hitting rock gardens at speed or really slamming into turns.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • markyone
    Rode it into work today its nice for what I want.
    What I noticed is that when it came it had a pack containing tubless valves,will these wheels take tubless with these tyres?if so I will run tubless with sealant in as if I puncture I don't want to be taking any wheels off.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Yes, the rims and tyres should hopefully be tubeless-ready .
  • markyone
    jimothy78 wrote:
    Yes, the rims and tyres should hopefully be tubeless-ready .
    Thanks is there a way to mount tubless?do I need a certain sealer for the bead?
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Stans sealant is everybody's favourite, I've found joes is a little cheaper and works well too.