New Planet X RT-58 frame - bits missing? (Resolved)

CptKernow
CptKernow Posts: 467
edited November 2014 in Workshop
Have almost finished putting together my new Planet X RT-58. I started to do the cabling but something didn't seem right. I've never done internal cabling before so this could be my mistake on my behalf.
Anyway, there appears to be something missing where the cable enters / exits the frame. When I put the cable in the housing is not held in place.

It does look different to other photos, incl Planet X's website (http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRPXRT58FA ... e-and-fork). I've taken a couple of pics - any comments would be appreciated.
rt-58-2.jpg
Where the rear cable pops out

rt-58-1.jpg
Where the rear cable enters the frame (note the recess is not that deep)

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I believe a solid ferrule end just goes onto the end of your outer, and then fed into the entry hole. Same for the exit - solid ferrule end butting up into the exit port.

Sort of like this: P1010707.JPG

The 'thin' end is the liner that goes over the actual cable and inside the outer. The 'solid' ferrule shown should butt up against both the entry and exit port. The ferrule in your pic appears to be open ended and not solid.

Not 100%, but it looks like that's how it should go. If the solid ferrule end doesn't stop at the entry/exit ports, then you definitely have parts missing!
  • CptKernow
    Thanks. Hopefully will be something simple - the frame was an absolute bargain so I'd hate to have to send it back.

What is slightly strange is the openings are different on the other side of the frame. This is the LHS of the downtube:

rt-58-3.jpg
    These fittings seem to have a tiny recess bolt fixing them in place - I don't see where this would go on the other side?!

What would be helpful is if there were instructions anywhere on setting up the cabling for Planet X frames...
  • Pokerface
    CptKernow wrote:
    Thanks. Hopefully will be something simple - the frame was an absolute bargain so I'd hate to have to send it back.

What is slightly strange is the openings are different on the other side of the frame. This is the LHS of the downtube:

rt-58-3.jpg
    These fittings seem to have a tiny recess bolt fixing them in place - I don't see where this would go on the other side?!

What would be helpful is if there were instructions anywhere on setting up the cabling for Planet X frames...

Possibly one side is if you are running electronic shifting. The hole might get filled with a special grommit.

Or- it's also possible that the holes are designed to fit the cable stops if running external cables. I don't see cable stops anywhere in your pics, but the Planet X pics on their website shows them on the frame.

Were there any spare parts at all with the frame?
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    My advice would be to get on the phone to Planet X tech team to discuss the problems, they should be the experts on this.
  • CptKernow
    diamonddog wrote:
    My advice would be to get on the phone to Planet X tech team to discuss the problems, they should be the experts on this.

True, but I've heard a few stories about PX customer services so I thought it may be wise to ask here too. That and it's Sunday...
  • CptKernow
    I've spoken to Planet X twice now and they haven't really convinced me that they understand what I am talking about. The first guy said it just needs a ferrule, the second time there was no concrete confirmation that the two sides should be different.

As far as I can tell the side with the cable stop insert works fine when I put my cable (and ferrule) in. On the other side it seems to be far too unsupported.
    I've emailed them photos - not that they asked.

At this point I would normally be threatening to send the frame back. Problem is it was a clearance frame (couple of scratches) and was very cheap so I really don't want to send it back...
  • Pokerface
    Can you post up some better pics? Your pics are very close-up and it's hard to see what you mean about the two sides of the downtime being different.
  • CptKernow
    Pokerface wrote:
    Can you post up some better pics? Your pics are very close-up and it's hard to see what you mean about the two sides of the downtime being different.

Unfortunately you can't see the difference at any distance, partly because it's black on black.

Took it down to the LBS and they seemed to think something was missing - or even that the openings in the moulding must be different either side. Unfortunately when I phone PX they don't really seem to be trying to understand the issue and they haven't responded to any emails. So, I'm on here trying to find a solution.

It doesn't seem that complex to me! Should the internal cabling openings on the down tube be different on each side; or is the insert / cable stop that is on one side (and works well) missing from the other side (which doesn't work as well)?! :?

rt-58-3.jpg
    LEFT SIDE GOOD (note insert)
    rt-58-1.jpg
    RIGHT SIDE BAD?!
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I've just had a look on my RT-58 and none of your photos look anything like the routing points on mine.What year is it?
    Mines a 2013 and here's pics:-
    Both left and right hand side of Downtube look like this:-
    15030051494_064400c51d_z.jpg

Where it exits on the chainstay:-
    15651635132_36bfec1fe7_z.jpg
  • CptKernow
    ibbo68 wrote:
    I've just had a look on my RT-58 and non of your photos look anything like the routing points on mine.What year is it?

Thanks for the pics.
    I think they did change the design - or at least have different batches. I'm not sure what year my frame would be as it was stock clearance, so I guess it could be older or newer.

The bits on yours are how it looks on the Planet X website.
  • sniper68
    I'm 5 mins drive from Planet X,I'm off over with your photos to see if we can get this cleared up.
  • CptKernow
    ibbo68 wrote:
    I'm 5 mins drive from Planet X,I'm off over with your photos to see if we can get this cleared up.
    Er, wow! That'd be amazingly kind of you but don't put yourself to any trouble on my behalf.

I have already devised a Heath Robinson type fix involving plastic straps which would allow me to at least try out the bike whilst I chip away at getting a proper answer from Planet X!
  • sniper68
    Just my luck Planet-X Barnsley is closed Tuesdays.The earliest I can get down will be Thursday morning so if you hear from them in the meantime let me know.If not I'll drop in and show them the photos and they should be able to shed some light.
    At the very least you'll find out what year it is and I would hope they'll sort you out if there's anything missing!!
  • CptKernow
    ibbo68 wrote:
    Just my luck Planet-X Barnsley is closed Tuesdays.The earliest I can get down will be Thursday morning so if you hear from them in the meantime let me know.If not I'll drop in and show them the photos and they should be able to shed some light.
    At the very least you'll find out what year it is and I would hope they'll sort you out if there's anything missing!!

Thanks, anyway. I may give them another call in a minute - will keep you posted.
  • Pokerface
    One frame looks like it's designed for external cabling, the other for internal. Beyond that, can't tell.
  • sniper68
    Pokerface wrote:
    One frame looks like it's designed for external cabling, the other for internal. Beyond that, can't tell.
    AFAIK RT-58s(carbon) are all designed for internal cable-routing.
  • Pokerface
    ibbo68 wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    AFAIK RT-58s(carbon) are all designed for internal cable-routing.

Sorry - I thought those were external cable stops. Not internally routed ones.
  • CptKernow
    OK, so I thought I'd just cable it up and see how it went. Was kind of hoping to be proved wrong but this definitely isn't right.
    Where the cable goes into the down tube isn't too bad with the ferrule on - could be better, i.e. like the other side but works.
    However, where the cable exits near the rear mech isn't right. There's not enough support so the cable housing forces the cable to come out at something approaching a right angle. I have an interim fix below:
    rt-58-4.jpg

Just wish I could get it through to Planet X that there is something missing. I keep emailing them photos, but no reply. On the phone they have no interest in understanding the problem...
  • sniper68
    I'll go and ruffle some feathers Thursday morning.I go in there quite a lot so hopefully We'll get there.
  • My guess is that the frame is as it should be. It looks to me like you have a frame that can be used either with conventional cables (using both the left and right "holes" and with the plate you see on the left side in place), or with electronic shifting with the plate removed and only the left hand side used. I would have thought that a gear cable with a feral will sit fine in the right hand side hole, the cable tension should hold it in place. Is that not the case? Can you post a picture of the right hand side with a cable in place?

Have just seen the picture of the rear cable. Couple of thoughts. Have you tried it with the cable under tension? I would have expected that to encourage the cable to be in a straight line. Also are you sure you have the correct length outer able loop, if it is too short/long it will tend to force the cable into the wrong path.
  • sniper68
    I don't think the RTs are compatible with electronic shifting as all PX frames that are have it stated clearly in the description/specifications.
    Mine is a 2013 model(which was the 1st IIRC) and a rider at work has a brand new 2014/15 and his is exactly the same as mine.
    I'm beginning to wonder if the OPs is a prototype as the slots look similar to those on the Nanolight and N2A.
    It doesn't look like an after-market modification but it doesn't look like the ones on the website or our models.
    Out of curiosity how much was it if you don't mind me asking?
  • Pokerface
    FWIW - I looked on the PX Facebook page, and the latest version of the RT-58 frame had the same 'holes' as yours, at least on the right side of the frame and rear chain stay. No pics of the left side. So it looks like the frame HAS been updated since the original version.

I still am unsure as to the giant 'hole' in the frame for the rear mech cable. That's a head scratcher still.
  • This is obviously a total guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if this frame is designed for Di2 only. Looking at the differences between the 2 different frames pictured and the way that cable is coming out the chain stay it looks like that may be the issue.

Could well have been a sample frame that they've decided to sell on.
  • sniper68
    Pokerface wrote:
    FWIW - I looked on the PX Facebook page, and the latest version of the RT-58 frame had the same 'holes' as yours, at least on the right side of the frame and rear chain stay. No pics of the left side. So it looks like the frame HAS been updated since the original version.

I still am unsure as to the giant 'hole' in the frame for the rear mech cable. That's a head scratcher still.
    Link?
    I've scoured their web and FB pages and can only find photos of ones that look like mine :roll:
    Could well have been a sample frame that they've decided to sell on.
    If that's the case they should have made this clear ot the point of sale to the OP.
  • Pokerface
    edited October 2014
    OK, having reviewed all the pics on the PX website, I'm convinced the frame is exactly as it should be.

It's just the way it was designed. It's definitely NOT for Di2 and is for internal routing. The cables just need ferrules on the ends as they enter/exit the frame.

Not sure what the issue was at the rear chain stay with the cable running to the rear mech, but the pic you posted still matches the pics on the PX website.

Have a look at recent pics of a bike built up: http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXRT58CH ... -road-bike
  • Pokerface
    ibbo68 wrote:
    Link?
    I've scoured their web and FB pages and can only find photos of ones that look like mine :roll:

See my post above. Complete bike with Campag parts and the RT-58 frame.
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    They sent me the wrong size frame altogether.
  • sniper68
    Can be seen better here on the green:
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXRT58RI ... -road-bike
    Definitely different to mine/mates so must be new for 2015.
    Definitely going to investigate on Thursday.
  • CptKernow
    Pokerface wrote:
    ibbo68 wrote:
    Link?

See my post above. Complete bike with Campag parts and the RT-58 frame.

Thanks for all the research. I had looked at some of their full build photos but they seemed to show the other style cable stops.

Have to say, it does look like what I have. Very strange that one side is different to the other though - maybe as pointed out this would allow some kind of electirc kit? Anyway, hope kind of this is the case as I want to get out and give it a spin.

Still not sure about the angle the cable takes as it comes out of the chain stay. Think I will keep my mod in place whatever the outcome.

As an aside. What are Planet X doing using a Campag Chorus gruppo with Khamsin wheels?! Also considering the frame is less than 100g heavier than the Canyon Ulimate CF SL with Chorus, surprising the RT-58 with Chorus comes out weighing a kilo more... (http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3584)
  • Pokerface
    Although the y don't advertise it, I would say that you could run Di2 internal with this new frameset. It looks like the Di2 cables would fit into the big hole on the frame easily as would a Di2 cable out of the exit by the rear mech. Maybe it'll be something they offer in 2015 and haven't gotten around to it yet.