zipp 303 clinchers

gazeds
gazeds Posts: 182
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
Best size continental gp4000 for 303's 23 mm or 25 mm

Comments

• DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    The blindingly obvious answer (or rather, question) is, what are you changing from and what do you want from new tyres? i.e. more comfort, less weight, more protection.
  • 30 mm

Nikki-Terpstra-659x440.jpg
    left the forum March 2023
  • gazeds
    DKay wrote:
    The blindingly obvious answer (or rather, question) is, what are you changing from and what do you want from new tyres? i.e. more comfort, less weight, more protection.
    Did'nt you understand my post. What size continental gp4000
  • I run 23mm Veloflex on my 303 FC's but my pal runs 25mm Vittoria's. I think Zipp say run 23's for a more aero shape...

We're on tubs btw.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    gazeds wrote:
    DKay wrote:

I'm in the camp of not understanding your question - the clarifications requested (and highlighted by Ugo in his response) make complete sense.

Incidentally I run 23mm on my 303FC - 25's don't fit my bike!

Peter
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    gazeds wrote:
    DKay wrote:

Bro, no one understands your post.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • gazeds
    northpole wrote:
    gazeds wrote:
    DKay wrote:

I'm in the camp of not understanding your question - the clarifications requested (and highlighted by Ugo in his response) make complete sense.

Incidentally I run 23mm on my 303FC - 25's don't fit my bike!

Peter
    I'll try and explain, I'm purchasing a pair of Zipp 303 carbon clincher's, what size of continental grad prix 4000sII tyre's would give the best performance.
  • 23 will be marginally more aerodynamic, 25 will have better rolling resistance if you are heavy. Both effects are very marginal and can be counteracted by eating one extra raisin in your porridge
  • gazeds
    23 will be marginally more aerodynamic, 25 will have better rolling resistance if you are heavy. Both effects are very marginal and can be counteracted by eating one extra raisin in your porridge
    At last, thank's Ugo. What length valve's would I need for the 303's
  • gazeds wrote:
    23 will be marginally more aerodynamic, 25 will have better rolling resistance if you are heavy. Both effects are very marginal and can be counteracted by eating one extra raisin in your porridge

The 303 are 45 mm deep, so 60 is the very minimum... I'd probably get a longer one though
  • gazeds wrote:

The 303 are 45 mm deep, so 60 is the very minimum... I'd probably get a longer one though

I stick a 40mm extender on a 38mm valve so 80mm all in is fine.
  • According to Zipp, 23mm front and 25mm rear is the best combination for aerodynamics and reduced rolling resistance - http://www.zipp.com/support/faq/faq.php