Aluminium Seatpost stuck in Carbon Frame

minley1
minley1 Posts: 126
edited October 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I know there are various posts on this, I have a KCNC Scandinium Seatpost, it's been in the frame since January 2013, and was installed with some carbon paste.
It is stuck fast, with the seat clamp totaly released there is no movement whatsoever, I have tried pouring coke into the frame, but the BB shell is sealed, so I had to pour it through the bottle cage hole, no joy so far, any tips?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Ammonia (household cleaner style), dissolves aluminium oxide (see Sheldon Brown) worked on my sons carbon frame with seized ally seatpost.

We wrapped kitchen roll around the joint, then duct tape around that to make a 'funnel' and then kept topping it up, doing it from below it's likely you are just filling up the inside of the seatpost with nothing getting to the joint.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • minley1
    minley1 Posts: 126
    Do you mean Kitche Foil rather than Roll?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    read the info on Sheldons pages.

and it might be a case of pushing the frame rather than pulling the seat post.

read the info on sheldons ways to remove stuck seat posts.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • lpretro1
    lpretro1 Posts: 237
    This guy does a fantastic job: www.theseatpostman.com/
    :D
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    minley1 wrote:
    Do you mean Kitchen Foil rather than Roll?
    No, Kitchen roll, paper absorbent stuff, it acts as a filler so the tape makes a funnel shape and also stops the ammonia spilling out to easily if you do something silly!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.