The Championship (mainly The Barcodes) thread

mr_goo
mr_goo Posts: 3,770
edited May 2016 in The bottom bracket
On the advice of Stevo, I thought I would start this off. Unless you are all Manure, City, Arse, Chelski, Scouse Red and Blue and Spurs supporters... then it is very likely you will in time be contributing to this forum. And for those that are supporters of teams in the Champ. Welcome, welcome, welcome.

Just thought I would start things off with a hearty well done to the Cherries. 8-0 away to Brum, and by all accounts should have been 12-13. Eddie Howe has certainly got AFCB playing some good stuff and the team are well balanced in all departments, which bodes well. I personally don't think they are a Premiership side, but having seen Burnley last season, anything is possible. Just hope that the Cherries can keep hold of Eddie Howe. I am sure that some of the top flight teams are keeping an eye on him.
Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.

Comments

• Pretty certain I'm heading to the Bournemouth game at the Riverside, should be interesting.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • I did find it funny that last week, prior to the 0-8, Blues challenged Wolves to the "After Eight Challenge". How did they know it would be true?
    I'm looking forward to us getting double figures against them this week.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,158
    Pretty certain I'm heading to the Bournemouth game at the Riverside, should be interesting.
    8th November that game. Bournemouth and Boro level on points currently - should be a good 'un. Goo, thanks for the credits re the thread but hope you lose :wink:

My old man's dad was a Boro player for nearly 20 years, hence the support.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mr_goo
    Cherries host the Baggies on Tuesday night in last 16 of league cup. Will be a very good test to see how they match up against mid table Premiership side.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Stevo_666
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Cherries host the Baggies on Tuesday night in last 16 of league cup. Will be a very good test to see how they match up against mid table Premiership side.
    Always good see a bit of 'giant killing'. But you'll have to get past The Smoggies if you want the privilege of being next season's Premier League whipping boy :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Bournemouth FC for the PL !?! There's a long way to go for that to happen.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pretty certain I'm heading to the Bournemouth game at the Riverside, should be interesting.
    8th November that game. Bournemouth and Boro level on points currently - should be a good 'un. Goo, thanks for the credits re the thread but hope you lose :wink:

Proper wokin man's game tha' in them daze, till it all went big woman's blouse and lacey unda wea, ova payd cupcakes.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Proper wokin man's game tha' in them daze, till it all went big woman's blouse and lacey unda wea, ova payd cupcakes.
    Pity it wasn't like that as I might not have had to work for a living. Mind you, a fair bit what he did get paid ended up getting bet on the horses as he used to live opposite Redcar race course...

http://www.mfc.co.uk/news/article/greatest-players-carr-1757257.aspx
  • Stevo 666 wrote:

If Boro turn up and play with the fluidity and movement Karanka has them playing I can see us beating anyone, but again it's a big if at times. If we played like we did against Liverpool every game I'm sure we could get back to where we belong, mid-premier league mediocrity :lol:

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:

If Boro turn up and play with the fluidity and movement Karanka has them playing I can see us beating anyone, but again it's a big if at times. If we played like we did against Liverpool every game I'm sure we could get back to where we belong, mid-premier league mediocrity :lol:
    You got to have ambition :D
  • pinno
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Pity it wasn't like that as I might not have had to work for a living. Mind you, a fair bit what he did get paid ended up getting bet on the horses as he used to live opposite Redcar race course...

http://www.mfc.co.uk/news/article/greatest-players-carr-1757257.aspx

See under J

I'll match you with Frank Burford who played for Worcestershire CCC in the 1920's. I will have to photocopy the pic though...
  • Stevo_666
    See under J

I'll match you with Frank Burford who played for Worcestershire CCC in the 1920's. I will have to photocopy the pic though...
    Ta - I found his Wiki page about 3 years back. Must be some keen footy historians out there.

Post a pic of your sporting heritage if you can...
  • I wish this thread had existed earlier mind you, missed so many good opportunities to laugh at Leeds United :D

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Bolton Wanderers on the way back now with Neil "Ginger Mourinho" Lennon.
  • Stevo_666
    I wish this thread had existed earlier mind you, missed so many good opportunities to laugh at Leeds United :D
    There will be plenty more :)
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    I wish this thread had existed earlier mind you, missed so many good opportunities to laugh at Leeds United :D
    There will be plenty more :)
    With only 3 points from their last 6 games, do you need much more of an excuse?
  • Stevo_666
    johnfinch wrote:
    i'm not sure that's such a good nickname to have, given Sean Dyche was given that one when he took Burnley into the Premier League :)
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    johnfinch wrote:

Well the goals have dried up somewhat for Norwich after a decent start so maybe they can get going again on Friday night. I think intially the supporters were just glad to get rid of the stink of negativity that Chris Hughton had brought into the club, one chap I know just stopped going but renewed his season ticket anyway with the intention of returning once Hughton was sacked, he was that frustrated with it.

Apparently a pundit on Talksport a couple of weeks ago said Norwich easily had the best squad in the division and winning it by less than 10points should be considered a failure. I can only assume he was one of those who talks nonsense just to stir people up get the phone lines going!
  • mr_goo
    Well that's West Brom taken care of. Who's next?
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Mr Goo wrote:

You are still sat behind the mighty Wolves at the moment. I know it can all change so quickly and often in this league and it is always tight.

PS Glad to see Ritchie back. (Avatar)
  • I'm loving Bournemouth at the moment.
    8-0 vs Blouses and then 2-1 against the Boggies.
    I wonder if there will be a chant of "We love you Bournemouth" at Molineux on Saturday...
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Really impressed with the job that Eddie Howe has done, although he's been well backed with cash which always helps. Met him a few times on coaching courses and he's a smart, committed bloke.

Not so impressed with the fans that keep saying "we'll teach Southampton how to play football". Are they desperately trying to be the new Skates? Have they looked at the PL table? Did they watch an 8-0 against 11 men who did have a manager and coaching staff that weren't just filling in?
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:
    i'm not sure that's such a good nickname to have, given Sean Dyche was given that one when he took Burnley into the Premier League :)

Even worse, that's what Gary Smegson was nicknamed for about 2 matches after he took us to a rare victory against ManUre.
  • motogull
    motogull Posts: 325
    Mr Goo wrote:

Us. :( 3 easy points coming your way.
  • lostboysaint
    Motogull wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

What on earth has happened to your lot? It all looked so promising under that arsehole Poyet, you've got a great stadium, your Chairman appears loaded, the new training ground etc. and other infrastructure is good - so why is Hyppia struggling so badly?
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • motogull
    motogull Posts: 325
    Not really sure.

Poyet had us rocking until he threw the toys out. Garcia rode on the back of that momentum to some degree. Lost the better players, 4 long term injuries and away 'keepers getting MOMs. Confidence is through the floor and dropping.

Need to pack in playing full backs as wing backs really. That is not working.

Pleased to see other south clubs faring better though.
  • mr_goo
    Motogull wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

Live on Sky Sports on Sat evening. Shall be toddling off to father in laws to watch.

There is no dead cert match in the Championship this season. There is very little to separate top six from bottom six as the middle grouping is very tight. A couple of wins on the trot and you shoot up, couple of defeats and it's quite a slide down.
  • mr_goo
    Home to Liverscouse in the League Cup Qtrs. A repeat of last seasons FA Cup 3rd Round. Should be interesting to see if any lessons learnt. I thought Cherries gave a good account of themselves back in January, the difference was Suarez and Sturridge up front. One half of that duo is not around and possibly the other may still be sidelined so it could be quite a tight game. He says.
  • lostboysaint
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Home to Liverhampton in the League Cup Qtrs.

Corrected for accuracy.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • mr_goo
    Now 2nd in Champ, though on goal difference. Watched the game and have to say I thought the Cherries were quite lucky to get the win. One thing I did notice was that the pitch looked very heavily watered, to the point where the ball wasn't running very much, which didn't do much for Bournemouths' passing.