Help me choose from these three front lights

PBo
PBo Posts: 2,493
edited October 2014 in Commuting chat
Want another "be seen" light for commuting, chosen from these bargains...

Comments

• qube
    qube Posts: 1,899
    Femto all the way bud.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Sorry if this doesn't help, but personally I would only buy something that can be USB recharged. The convenience means my lights are always fully charged and ready to go. You can get lights on eBay that are USB chargeable for about the price you're looking to pay.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    anyone else going to chip in?

thanks

PBo
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Us lot in the sticks go for landing lights strapped to the bike... We can't help.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • sswiss
    sswiss Posts: 354
    for what it's worth I have a set of the Femto - nice little well made set of "be seen" backup/pub lights.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Femto and Knog Blinder at least is USB rechargeable.

I had the Femto on the bike that got nicked. Had it about a week. Liked it
    Have had two Knog Blinder 1's for a few weeks. Like them. Though loads of other people will tell you Knogs are shite, so maybe go with the Lezyne
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    I'll offer the slightly unhelpful "none of the above"; instead, on that budget, I'd be buying a discounted Smart light to run on flash:
    example.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I had the femtos (got nicked) and currently have the Blinders (both as back up lights rather than my main lights).

Both will serve you well I think.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • We have a Femto in the box that gets used as a backup by my wife or the kids. It's not bad, but IMO not a main light.

I use Zectos as a back-up/second light. Much better.

Main ones are Exposure Race (front) and Blaze (rear). Pricey, but you definitely get what you pay for.

PS Sorry it doesn't actually answer your question.
  • I have Femtos from an emergency buy when I forgot to switch lights onto the MTB a day I was off to Cross training.

I also have Blackburn Clicks, I think these are better than the three above but less robust (though the new rear ones are better I understand). The light has a good jewel shaped prism lense which give some side vivibility unlike the Femtos which you really only see from front or rear...
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Femto are not USB charging
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • No idea what the Femto is, but it isn't a Knog, therefore it gets the nod from me.

Avoid Knog like the plague, build quality is ludicrously bad
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • PorlyWorly wrote:
    No idea what the Femto is, but it isn't a Knog, therefore it gets the nod from me.

Avoid Knog like the plague, build quality is ludicrously bad

yes, appalling
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    The Femtos (F&R) I have are CR2032 coin cell powered. I use of flashing mode and the cells seem to last forever (in that I've yet to run them out so can't say for sure how long). I doubt rechargeable is a big advantage though I can see the appeal
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH