Summer Mitts

dinyull
dinyull Posts: 2,979
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
I know this is completely the wrong time of year, but a few weeks ago I had an off and managed to write off my summer mitts. They were only a cheap pair of Gore ones that were on sale a few years ago and had started to suffer a little anyway so no big loss.

I ride for 3-4 hours every weekend so comfort is important. Budget isn't fixed BUT I won't pay £100 for a pair of Rapha gloves no matter how good.

What would people recommend?

Comments

• flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    I've always found the Assos ones to be good, they wash well and still look good after 2 seasons.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    For budget-ish ones, I find Endura and Sportful do decent ones.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    pay £75 for the rapha classic mitt, or wait til the sales in january. they are very very good. I was waiting for a sale on them that didn't come and spent £45 on some assos instead. they're no better than any standard £30 pair. i'll deffinitely be looking out for the rapha sales again.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Rapha classics are very good but overpriced at full rrp (surprise surprise!). I bought mine when I had a discount voucher as I would not pay full whack. I found them a bit too tight at first however, they stretched a bit and are the most comfortable mitts I have. Some of the Specialized Gel mitts are good - comfortable and better value for money, just not quite as good a fit/ comfort as the Rapha ones IME.

Peter
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Cheers all, keep the suggestions coming.

Perhaps it's just me, or the fact I'm saving for a wedding but my brain just won't compute paying £75 for a pair of gloves.
  • Dinyull wrote:

Perhaps it's just me, or the fact I'm saving for a wedding but my brain just won't compute paying £75 for a pair of gloves.

not just you - I'd baulk at £75 for winter gloves.
    For mitts it's absurd.
  • I've got a pair of black Pro Team mitts that were bought in the summer of 2011 and they've still got another season left in them. They've been relagated to 'training' mitts now and a pair of the new version (in black) have moved into the Sunday best position. Whereas over the years I've destroyed mitts from Prendas, Assos, Specialzed and Endura in no time at all.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Dinyull wrote:

For mitts it's absurd.
    I completely agree, for those with more sense than money these take some beating
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/altura-crochet-short-finger-gloves/
    my first pair fell apart after 5 years so I got another pair.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    I got some Giro Monaco mitts for £20.00 they are excellent.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Don't get me started on rapha winter gloves, for replacement summer ones you could do a lot worse than prendas ..
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    I got a pair of very good quality, leather and fabric, full Goretex, Thinsulate ski gloves for £49!
  • I've gone through a few pairs of mitts over the last few years. I have found that no matter how expensive they are,what brand they are or how nice they look - they all have a limited lifespan. The stitching/joins around the fingers will come loose, they become smelly with sweat and don't wash well.

Buy cheap and regularly.
  • I've gone through a few pairs of mitts over the last few years. I have found that no matter how expensive they are,what brand they are or how nice they look - they all have a limited lifespan. The stitching/joins around the fingers will come loose, they become smelly with sweat and don't wash well.

Buy cheap and regularly.

this is exactly my mitt experience
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    t4tomo wrote:
    Dinyull wrote:

For mitts it's absurd.
    I completely agree, for those with more sense than money these take some beating

I have some of these as well, the palm seems very sturdy, almost stiff to begin with but loosens up with time, and the suede did rub off on my bar tape when used for the first time. In summer the mesh back keeps you cool (but be careful of sunburn)! They look cool as well!
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    I favour Specialized Body Geometry Gell mitts. The padding on them is quite thick, which may put some people off. I love them though.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    t4tomo wrote:

I have some of these as well, the palm seems very sturdy, almost stiff to begin with but loosens up with time, and the suede did rub off on my bar tape when used for the first time. In summer the mesh back keeps you cool (but be careful of sunburn)! They look cool as well!

Sunburn -in the Lake District? Now there is an optomist! :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    g00se wrote:
    For budget-ish ones, I find Endura and Sportful do decent ones.

Another vote for Spirtful Bodyfit mitts - minimal padding though, which suits me (I have gel bar tape, which I prefer to gel mitts, as the gel is always in the right place on the bars :D )
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    Sportful mitts for me.
    Twelve months in and in very good condition.
    Still thinking of something clever to say!