Campag 11sp with Shimano 9sp

clazza
clazza Posts: 626
edited October 2014 in Workshop
I originally started with Campag 10sp shifters and shimano 9sp rear mech / cassette using the hubub method - worked perfectly. Then I changed over to the Campag 11sp shifters and there was no need for hubbub, still great shifting

However, having Shimano mech has always looked a bit out of place :) Has anybody tried / confirm that Campag 11sp shifter would work with Campag 11sp rear mech and a Shimano 9sp cassette?

I cant see any reason why it shouldnt, as no need for any special cable routing / hubub but maybe missing something

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    No, does not work prperly as the "pitch" of Shimano 9 speed is 4,35 mm and the pitch of Campagnolo 11 speed is 3,85 mm.
    Each shift would give a error of 0,5 mm and that's too much.
    Of course, a modification like a shiftmate or different way of cable clamp might solve that.
  • clazza
    clazza Posts: 626
    Keezx wrote:
    No, does not work prperly as the "pitch" of Shimano 9 speed is 4,35 mm and the pitch of Campagnolo 11 speed is 3,85 mm.
    Of course, a modification like a shiftmate or different way of cable clamp might solve that.

But that doesn't explain why it currently works perfectly - 11sp shifters / 9sp mech and cassette?
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    clazza wrote:
    Keezx wrote:

But that doesn't explain why it currently works perfectly - 11sp shifters / 9sp mech and cassette?

Have I just stepped through a time warp or have you just answered your own question. Why ask if 11sp Campag shifters will work with 9sp Shimano cassette if you know already that they "work perfectly"

EDIT:- Apologies - original question was whether Campag 11sp rear mech would work with Shimano 9sp cassette
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    clazza wrote:
    Keezx wrote:

It does though.
    The "pitch" the mech makes is determined by cable pull (shifter)+mech geometry.(which is brand specific)
    If you combine a certain shifter with another mech than it's designed for things go wrong.
    The two companies have their own philosophy about cable pull, mech geometry, shift ratio and cassette pitch.