I need a replacement screw for a headset component

just a nickname
just a nickname Posts: 30
edited October 2014 in Road general
Hi,

I managed to scrap one of the screw and I can't tighten the system enough to prevent it to move (I can't apply enough pressure on the stem). I went to LBS asking for a screw replacement but the two places I visited only carry the whole thing that is going for 30$!

This is the screw I am talking about:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dast326gtfuc ... anTea?dl=0

Crap...

Any chance I can find a replacement?

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Standard Allen head 5 mm bolt will do the job.....hardwarestore, friend.
  • Keezx wrote:

There is a ''hole'' in the bolt where the top cap bolt goes to put the pressure on the headset. I was able to find a lot of allen head bolts but not of that kind...
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Keezx wrote:

There is a ''hole'' in the bolt where the top cap bolt goes to put the pressure on the headset. I was able to find a lot of allen head bolts but not of that kind...
    Screws are for wood.

Bolts are for metal.

Bolts do not attach to bolts.

Looks like you are going to be paying someone with the parts and the skill to sort out your problem.

As above the bolt is standard. The rest is headset specific.

Might be time to read Parktools so you don't damage other bits that will cost you to replace/fix.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks for the precision nicklouse! Yes, tried to go too fast on that one...
    Already asked a LBS and all they can do is replace the whole thing for 30$.

comp-plug_4.jpg

Expansion bolt is what I am looking for.
  • For the record I decided to cut the bolt head with a hacksaw and use a flat screwdriver.
    Couldn't be easier...
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Just buy a new expander bung and top cap - wiggle do Deda ones for about £10. £30 is a bit expensive for one.