Have things changed so much in last decade..KEEP or BUY ??

karldh
karldh Posts: 34
edited October 2014 in MTB buying advice
Currently have a 2005 ish, one of first ones, Giant Trance 4, 3x9 speed, upgraded the fork to a rockshox reba rl serviced by loco tuning about two years ago, has original fox float rear shock, 26 wheels ,xc717 rims on hope pro2 hubs, an old Hayes Hfx rear brake, new shimano deore front brake, deore shifters, front slx mech, rear deore mech both of which just continue to work! Charge spoon saddle on Thomson seat post, use atom carbon bars 660 I think. Spezialized captain control 2.2 on front, 2.1 ground control on rear, both 2 bliss and was thinking of going tubeless on these until started thinking if worth spending more money on bike.bearings still ok but suspect bb is not long for this world and would need new chainset to go with it. Think I bought it for about £500 brand new way back

Ride mainly trail,xc, bridleways, intend to do more trail centres such as Dalby, Sherwood or Sutton Bank, not into too extreme stuff as I am too old for that! Sense of mortality increases with age
Like to go for ride on mtb for a change from road and for constant changes in demand it places on my legs
i ride about 4000 mile a year on the road being principally a roadie now but started out on mtb, so my general fitness is good and legs ok.i like to push the pace riding on the trance off road.some may feel I don't need a full sus bike for the riding I do and you are probably right
I can have occasional lower back probs so quite like a smooth ride , I am about 75 kg and just under 6 ft.

My question is should I just keep plodding on , keep the Trance until it falls to bits or has technology, design ,materials moved things on so much that I would notice a difference on a new 27.5/29 hardtail carbon/aluminium or 27.5 full sus, budget would be no more than 1300..so am pushing it with carbon, do feel a lighter faster flowing bike than the trance may make things more interesting .would a carbon frame be too stiff or are they designed like some road frames to soak up vibration /bumps now? Can't see point in a 26 wheeled bike as no real change
Would a hardtail be potentially bad for my back?
What differences in steering/ handling if any would I notice if I changed in comparison to the Trance with newer designs
Lots of questions there I know
All ideas as to bikes I should look towards , comments gratefully received
Thanks
kdh

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    It's not that old/dated. It's the 10 years before that where things really moved on.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You'll get very little selling it, and spend a chunk buying something new with comparable spec.

For what you ride (similar to me) I'd just keep it for now, replace the odd worn bits, and think about replacing it if the bike can't manage what you want to do.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • karldh
    karldh Posts: 34
    Cheers for quick replies so far
    kdh
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Its a good frame. I would keep it. The old Trance frame has a great rear suspension set up, just as efficient when pedalling as anything newer.
    Things have moved on but unless you're riding hard you won't notice a big difference.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Seems like a good bike with solid parts, i'd Definately keep that.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If it ain't broke......as above, keep it, and keep on top of the maintenance.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Keep unless you have a pile of cash burning a hole in your mattress and a feeling that your bike is in some way deficient on your trails.

Just change bits as they wear out and keep it rolling.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.