Stuck Pedals

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited November 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Ok so I have a MTB that I picked up, Its in great condition but still has the original pedals from 25 years ago. I want to pop on my SPD pedals but I cannot for the life of me remove the current pedals. I know about the thread pattern etc and I have swapped pedals before so I know that the threads are 'Normal' on the drive side and opposite on the other.

I have tried overnight soak in WD40 and also tried leverage by putting a old handle bar over the end of my pedal wrench but to no avail.

I am starting to think that a blow torch may be the only solution to expand the spindle but just wondering are there any other tricks I could use ?

Comments

• pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Have you tried hitting the old handle bar or wrench with a rubber mallet? Give it a real good whack
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I'm pretty sure there's an article somewhere on here about the things to try.
  • mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    I will have a look for that article, I tried hitting it with the rubber handle of my hammer (hard enough that I nearly broke my d**n wrist ! )

The cranks are some fairly rare early exage 500 LX (in mint condition) so if it looks like I could damage the arms I think I will just get the LBS to get there blow torch on it.

Cheers
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410
    Boiling water. It just might work without resorting to blowtorch. Worked on some stuck wheel nuts for ame a while back.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Bike on its side, cranks in a vice etc for more purchase / stability? If they've been in there 25 years with no grease and you want to protect the cranks, LBS might be the most risk-free option?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    HAve you tried Coca Cola or Pepsi instead of WD40 ??

This thing will eat everything - worked for me on few badly rusted bolts...
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    WD40 is crap at most things.

get some proper penetrating fluid.

plus gas.

or even the Halfords shock and release.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • am7
    am7 Posts: 59
    I tried using my hands, legs, body weight on a wrench wrapped in an old towel. When that didn't work I took a hammer to the wrench (left the towel on) and hit as hard as I could. It only took a couple of hits for both and they were free. I put those pedals on not even a month ago and I used molykote grease. Maybe I tightened them too hard (I later noticed it said 10Nm). After 25 years I am not sure if my hammer would cut it. Worth a try though as in my mind no matter how much torque you can exert a heavy blow will pack more instant punch to dislodge a stuck/corroded/fused pedal.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    A longer pedal wrench. Never found a pedal so stuck that long pedal wrench won't shift. Plus gas will help too.

WD40 should be banned and collected up and disposed in bonfire/expolosion sort of way. I would pay to see that happen.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.