Sherwood pines advice

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited October 2014 in Routes
Other than 'Don't', the daughter is recovering from ligament damage in her shoulder, so better trail centres are out as she keeps re damaging it, Hicks lodge is an option, so how does SP compare, looking for a predominantly XC route with just enough features to keep it interesting within an hour ish of home.
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• The Rookie
    Yeah we've done Hicks and it was a bit too easy, so it sounds like SP Kitchener trail be fine, all she wants is something she can ride 'at' but that she can spot any feature in advance that might cause problems, she's had it for 6 months now and is finally heading advice to let it heal properly.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    oxoman wrote:
    Hicks lodge is a flat mainly gravel trail with flowing germs

Sounds rather unpleasant.
  • The Rookie
    Thanks for all the help, we know Hicks as we've been there a few times as the wife is comfortable there, but as it will be just me and No1 Rookling we'll do the Kitchenor at SP.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    oxoman wrote:
    Another option in its infancy is Mallory Parks trail, still very much work progress but is good fun if Cannock or other trails are to much.

It needs major work on the signing and weather proofing first, it's gonna become a big very very quickly if they don't improve the surface
  • The Rookie
    A big what?
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    The Rookie wrote:
    A big what?

It was meant to say bog, stupid autocorrect! :oops:
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    The red route at sherwood pines is smooth but very uneven which may become a problem for a shoulder injury. Best to seek medical advice on what to do and how the recovery is going. I had a shoulder injury which took two months of non bike related exercises before I could even go out on flat smooth trails. All fine now though.
  • The Rookie
    She has had advice, we'll start the red and if it's any issue we'll drop off it, most reviews say it only comes alive at speed, so it sounds like we can back off a little if it's an issue anyway.
  • The Rookie
    Well thanks for all the input, we found the Kitchener ideal, just tech enough to be interesting, but safe enough for her shoulder, quite amusing seeing some of the bikes going round including the guy with a toddler in a kiddy seat on the back, it was seatpost rack mounted and bouncing so much it was hitting the back tyre!

Some of the downhill sections were reasonable fun as well, though Kudos to the guy who hauled the Spesh Demo round!
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    There are some odd sights on the red route at pines, on my last visit there were 2 toddlers following their dad around screaming as they tried to get up a hill.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    I need to take my 9 year old daughter over, she loves being out on her bike, might start her off on the blue first though.