New Race Bike Time!

juddboy_00000
juddboy_00000 Posts: 3
edited October 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi All
My trusty Massi Team Carbon is on it's last legs, after 7 years of racing and general trail centre abuse she needs to be retired!
The problem is, replacing the Massi to a similar spec would cost me about £3000, and the bank account is not what it once was!! (kids, cars and house extensions)
Realistically I have a budget of around £1600-1800 for the new bike, and will be happy to upgrade to top-flight parts as and when.
Looking to jump from the 26" to the 29 or 650B world and stay with a hardtail.

The question I suppose is.........I have seen some bikes with carbon frames (Felt being a prime example), but there seems to be a few VERY light alloy rigs in this price range also (cannondale), which will be better to race from the box? Top end alloy or the lower price carbon?

Is anyone racing Alloy and what bikes if they are?

Many thanks

Stu

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I have no experience of it but the On One Lurcher with X9 build is £1400. That'd leave you £400 to change parts to your preference. The frame is also available for £280.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    On one lurcher got terrible reviews
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The CEN tests mean that alloy frames have generally got heavier, carbon is where it's at.

Depending on your current bikes state, is it worth going for a frame option and build it using as much from your current bike as possible, leaving just forks, wheels/tyres and sundries to finish it?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Cqc wrote:

From whom? Do you have links at all?
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • The Rookie wrote:
    The CEN tests mean that alloy frames have generally got heavier, carbon is where it's at.

Depending on your current bikes state, is it worth going for a frame option and build it using as much from your current bike as possible, leaving just forks, wheels/tyres and sundries to finish it?

It's only a max of 300g in difference with the right alloy frame against the average carbon. I think the Cannondale flash is about 1400g (not too shabby) and the Kona Scandium frame is about the same. That's only about 150g off the Carbon Massi, and that has built into a 21.5lb bike. Carbon will always be lighter, but "out of the box" complete bikes are looking identical in weight, especially as the carbon is more expensive and has cost-cutting heavier parts fitted.
    I am more worried about the ride - I remember my back being destroyed by my last alloy hardtail!

I could swap over some of the bits and go for the frame option, but the drive system is custom 2x9 set-up (ok for racing, but it does suffer at trail centres and when the day gets too long), so would be looking to upgrade that, and old XTR brakes have seen better years. I think the newer systems would be a better idea - then I can upgrade in increments rather than any big jumps$$$$.
    thanks
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Carbon will always be lighter

No it won't, there will be some overlap.

I have the entry level carbon bike and upgrade as bits wear out. A Lurcher isn't a very racey 29er frame. I'd have something like a Trek Superfly 9.7, Cannondale Flash, Scott Scale etc.

I've got the Trek built up to 19.2lbs, and really like it.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Lurcher isn't light or a race bike.
    There were a few Giant XTC carbon frames on ebay a couple weeks back in nice condition for only a few hundred pounds. Might be worth looking out for one of them.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Giraffoto wrote:
    Cqc wrote:

From whom? Do you have links at all?

Mbr, but it's not on their website
  • gazcarsf1
    gazcarsf1 Posts: 130
    New carbon Canyon looks good for the price http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/series/grand-canyon-cf.html, or how about a cube, I have a carbon reaction it's been an awesome bike, they do an alloy and carbon version in both 27.5 or 29er http://www.cube.eu/uk/bikes/mtb-hardtail/reaction/cube-reaction-hpa-sl-29-black-anodized-2015/
    http://www.cube.eu/en/bikes/mtb-hardtail/reaction/cube-reaction-gtc-race-29-carbonngreen-2015/
    Cube reaction gtc race 2011 26er, Canyon spectral al 8.0 2014, cube reaction gtc race 2015 29er
    How much for that!!!!!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Be wary of listed frame weight. Many measure by the xs size. The XL size can easily be 300g more.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I went for a Cube Reaction GTC SL as it was specced pretty much ready race and is lighter than my alloy framed bikes despite the larger wheel size.
  • njee20
    supersonic wrote:
    Be wary of listed frame weight. Many measure by the xs size. The XL size can easily be 300g more.

Well no one is going to have the weight of an XL frame, so it's a level playing field frankly! If you need an XL frame it's what you're gonna buy. The weight difference will generally be less than that.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It needs mentioning in case you already have a large frame, have weighed it and think 'oooh I'll get this new one because it says it's half a pound lighter' only for it to be the same.
  • The Rookie
    On the Trek Superfly, smallest to largest frame adds about 100g (based on various weighed frames), though that is a 900g frame....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    The Rookie wrote:
    On the Trek Superfly, smallest to largest frame adds about 100g (based on various weighed frames), though that is a 900g frame....

Where have you seen that, out of interest? I really struggled to find anything aside from the 896g claimed weight, and dunno what size that was.

As an aside, It's the Superfly SL that's <900g, different to the Superfly.
  • The Rookie
    Sorry, meant the SL, I've seen a measurement of just on a kilo for a large and someone confirmed just under 900g for an S, different places.
  • njee20
    Very good. Smalls and mediums are guaranteed under 900g allegedly. Project One ones come out heavier though - posh paint jobs are heavy!