Autumnal Cycle Clothing

2»

Comments

• paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    Fed up of buying mid range stuff that's just OK. Rather spend the extra and know it will be good. Any rapha I've bought has genuinely been excellent.
  • richiegwy
    richiegwy Posts: 171
    Does anyone have any of the Sportful Fiandre jackets/jerseys (no rain jacket, no rain light, light wind) and can you advise what temps you can use them down to with say a base layer underneath. I'm looking for something that is water resistant and wind proof but not too heavy. Would like to get down to the low single figure temperatures.
  • paul_mck wrote:
    Fed up of buying mid range stuff that's just OK. Rather spend the extra and know it will be good. Any rapha I've bought has genuinely been excellent.

Do you have a Helly Hansen outlet near you? The Lifa half merino are about £15 or 2 for £25

You might even be able to get the Freeze jerseys for about £25 or so. You could buy 3 for the price of the Rapha. Don't get me wrong, the Rapha WILL be good. It won't be better than the Helly ones.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    I've been getting on really well with the castelli spinta. It's just a long-sleeve jersey and although thin and close-fitting it's made out of some magic material that's fairly insulating and windproof. For me at least, perfect comfort at around 11 - 14C even just worn on its own and not so expensive that you can't have two of them and thus one in the washing machine. Colder/slightly wet and I'll wear it with a Gillet, colder again (below 8C) and I'll switch to the Mortirolo Due.

Ideally I'd still like to get a gabba for cool, wetter weather though.
  • Depends on whether an individual rider runs 'hot or cold'.......some guys feel the cold more than the next - all kind of subjective. I've just got the long sleeved gabba2 and will wear a craft active base layer under it when below 10C. If it gets below 5C (add in wind chill) then a windstoper gilet atop these two should be enough.

Good winter gear aint cheap. Personally I'm still looking for the ideal pair of winter gloves - nearly 30 years fruitless searching...........
    I run 'hot' by the way. :shock:
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Personally I'm still looking for the ideal pair of winter gloves - nearly 30 years fruitless searching...........

That's because you're looking for the wrong thing. We layer our body, we layer our feet, what you should be looking for is PAIRS of winter gloves to layer. Personally I've found the old Assos system works perfectly down to -11C from 10C
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Absolutely swear by Assos S7 leg warmers. No rubber grippers so fit initially feels weird but quite honestly you will forget you have them on.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    paul_mck wrote:

Do you have a Helly Hansen outlet near you? The Lifa half merino are about £15 or 2 for £25

You might even be able to get the Freeze jerseys for about £25 or so. You could buy 3 for the price of the Rapha. Don't get me wrong, the Rapha WILL be good. It won't be better than the Helly ones.

My Son and I both had HH half zip freeze jerseys on today, over a short sleeve summer jersey and were perfect. Got his recently for £22 and honestly, they are awesome. Not just awesome like everything else people over-use that phrase to describe these days but TRULY awesome.