How tight should sq taper bottom bracket be?

CptKernow
CptKernow Posts: 467
edited October 2014 in Workshop
I've just got a nice new frame for the winter and am intending to put a square taper chainset on it for the time being.

The BB is a Tifosi cartridge fit. I was wondering how tight this wants to be, as I don't want to bugger up the frame by over-tightening it.
Also, should I use Loctite or even anti-seize?

Thanks

Comments

• andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    If it's a normal English threaded frame (left-hand thread on the driveside), use anti seize and lean on a 10-12" adjustable nice and firmly. Give it a good heave, but no need to bust a gut. If it's a bit loose, it will work tight as you ride.
    If it's an Italian threaded frame (right-hand thread on the driveside,not likely unless it's an Italian bike), do up the BB as tightly as you can reasonably get it (i.e don't go so far as standing on the end of the spanner). Think about loctite as well.

It will be pretty difficult to over-tighten a BB enough to damage the frame threads. I once had to go as far as jumping up & down on the end of a 32 mm ring spanner to get one out (a bit over 300 Nm, I think). Observe the difference between the old (lower) and new BBs here.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    30 Nm is possible, 300 Nm certainly not.
  • CptKernow
    CptKernow Posts: 467
    andrew_s wrote:
    If it's a normal English threaded frame (left-hand thread on the driveside), use anti seize and lean on a 10-12" adjustable nice and firmly. Give it a good heave, but no need to bust a gut. If it's a bit loose, it will work tight as you ride.

Thanks. Done up good and tight - no nasty stripping sensations too!