My light interferes with my cycle computer

davidn37
davidn37 Posts: 3
edited October 2014 in Workshop
I have a Boardman Cycle Computer which has been working fine all summer but now it is getting dark earlier and I need lights it has stopped working properly. Front light off all fine, front light on it only records about half the distance. Cadence seems ok. It makes no difference whether the light is on constant or flashing.

Light is on handlebars and computer is on stem. They are fairly close together but I don't know where else to move either of them to.

Has any one else come across this problem.

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Pretty common with LED lights and wireless computers I am afraid.
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    It's been fairly common ever since lights started using LEDs.
    All you can do is move them further apart (maybe get a Spacegrip?), or change the computer for a wired version.

The computer transmitter is weak, in order to make the battery last longer and so you don't pick up the signal from the next bike, and LED lights commonly control the power by turning on and off very rapidly, which generates a signal that the computer picks up.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Easily avoided with metal bodied lights. I found no problems with interference when I changed my lights to RSP Asteris. Edinburgh cycles have similar lights.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • mr_evil
    mr_evil Posts: 234
    Wrap the light in aluminium foil.
  • If you need the lights, you don't need the computer... so it's a non issue
    left the forum March 2023
  • Thanks for the responses, I can see the logic in them and will try some of the alternatives starting with the cheapest, wrap it in foil.

As for the comment "you don't need the computer if you need lights", that does not follow. I don't intend watching it all the time I'm riding but it is good to have a summary when you get back from a ride.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Are they good quality lights? They should be tested and certified to show that they don't interfere with other products. You can be pretty sure cheap Chinese knock-offs aren't.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I am not sure price comes into it. I have had very expensive German lights interfere with wireless cateyes.

It isn't a problem with the ANT+ protocol used by Garmins etc. in my experiences, using either battery or dynamo LED lights.