Stuck brake bolt

johncp
johncp Posts: 302
edited October 2014 in Workshop
I need to transfer front calliper to a new fork, but the nut inside the fork crown is stuck and possibly rounded. Its a full carbon fork that I'm going to sell on, so can't cause any damage.
Any help on how to get the brake off?
Thanks in advance
If you haven't got a headwind you're not trying hard enough

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Isn't it only full of mud?
    The chance that its rounded is small.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,321
    Scrape all the sh1t out that's built up behind the nut and shine a torch in to see what's obfuscating the nut (that I presume is recessed). Have you tried removing the caliper with the wheel off by revolving it and holding the nut in place with the alen key?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Scrape all the sh1t out that's built up behind the nut and shine a torch in to see what's obfuscating the nut (that I presume is recessed). Have you tried removing the caliper with the wheel off by revolving it and holding the nut in place with the alen key?

That's worked for me in the past. Also, buy some plus gas. If that can't shift it, nothing will
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • You could try using a torx key rather than a hex key, they can have a bit more 'bite', a T30 fits 6mm nuts.