PowerTap Hub Play

dork_knight
dork_knight Posts: 405
edited October 2014 in Workshop
Hey All,

Hoping for some assistance here.

Just took the rear wheel off the commuter and noticed a little side-to-side play when doing so, I quickly changed the hub/cassette and popped the wheel on to another bike for tomorrows ride ~ And it still has a couple of mm play side-to-side.

I'm guessing something needs to be serviced/changed... bearing perhaps.

Is this something easily done by an individual and if so a point in the right direction for bearings, instructions or whatever else would be appreciated if it;s worth trying first... other than that I guess I've got to send it to Paligap, a bit sooner than expected if so as it's only seen seven months use so far. Oh Well.

Any info appreciated.

Thank You
The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.

Comments

• Sure it's not just the hub cap loose? Worth pressing the wheel against the floor on both sides to make sure they are tightly in place

Anyway... the PowerTap runs on a Novatec 15 mm axle... in fact the all hub except the electronics is Novatec... you can change the bearings yourself if you know how... just have to be careful to extract the axle from the drive side to avoid damaging the magnet thing which is attached to it. On the models I have tweaked with the NDS bearing is a 15 x 24 x 5 mm and the DS is a 15 x 28 x 7 mm bearing. The free hub is a Novatec type B
    left the forum March 2023
  • I'll double check to see if it's loose first of all and then take it from there.

Thank you for the info.
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.