Whats the furthest you cycled on a mountain bike?

2»

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Probably not much longer than 40km. I tend to go pretty hard for a short-ish time. I enjoy it more than slogging around all day.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Depending on the climb 10 hr /100 mile off road I reckon I'd be taking on at least 5 ltr of water. On road could probably do it in 3-4. I'd double check the maps - there are often water taps marked which you can use.

I'm a winter roadie/summer mtber
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    3-4 hours, or litres of water?

Last time I did 100 on the road bike (107 technically, and 3 weeks ago) I drank 3 litres (4 large bottles), so about right.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    FishFish wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

48 and not that fit.

That is a fairly low IQ :D
    Sorry, missed the one off the front........
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    cube1961 wrote:
    300 miles !

300 miles on an mtb in one ride is extremely impressive, especially as you only recently bought your first mtb.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Antm81 wrote:
    cube1961 wrote:
    300 miles !

300 miles on an mtb in one ride is extremely impressive, especially as you only recently bought your first mtb.

I think there is a possibility that he is maybe not strictly telling the whole truth.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Antm81
    cooldad wrote:
    Antm81 wrote:
    cube1961 wrote:
    300 miles !

I think there is a possibility that he is maybe not strictly telling the whole truth.

Was exactly what I was thinking since I first read it. Been waiting for one of you guys to notice it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Antm81 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Antm81 wrote:
    cube1961 wrote:
    300 miles !

Was exactly what I was thinking since I first read it. Been waiting for one of you guys to notice it.
    Being kind people we allow others to enjoy their little fantasies.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    I just sort of glossed over it. It's very doable on the road (the British 24hr TT record is over 540 miles), but that would be race winning pace at a fast 24 hour race, so I'm dubious he's done it on a mountain bike!
  • diy
    Depends what we mean by off-roaod, Canal path or proper hills?
    Richard Sterry (aged 45), did the SDW triple in 37hr:04m ~300 miles / 36,000ft climb.

For me its always the gates, water, food and punctures that add up. Even on a really good (lucky) run you'd struggle not to have more than an hour of hold-ups, so you'd be aiming at 13-14mph avg.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    I've only done around 40 miles, at most. I'm feeling rather under peddled.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • I've only done around 40 miles, at most. I'm feeling rather under peddled.
    Depends where you are riding.
    I did 23 miles last week - but despite the short distance, was the hardest ride I have done since I started mountain biking. All uphill and wet as f**k. Took the group around 2 and half hours.
    (I fell asleep on the sofa for 2 hours afterwards. )
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • njee20
    diy wrote:
    Depends what we mean by off-roaod, Canal path or proper hills?
    Richard Sterry (aged 45), did the SDW triple in 37hr:04m ~300 miles / 36,000ft climb.

For me its always the gates, water, food and punctures that add up. Even on a really good (lucky) run you'd struggle not to have more than an hour of hold-ups, so you'd be aiming at 13-14mph avg.

Indeed, I imagined the word "day" was in there, but the specified unit was a "session". Still mildly dubious of Cube 1961 having done 300 though!

Not sure how you figure about the 13-14mph though? 300 miles at 14mph would be 21.4 hours, if you lose an hour per leg on the SDW Richard still did significantly less than 10mph whilst moving (no mean feat for 37 hours!)? Indeed Tim Dunford's quickest time for a single leg is still a total average of 13.8mph or so.
  • Antm81
    300 miles is dubious, I believe it was a mistake, taking what the majority see as being the furthest in a session and getting confused with a longer time frame, rather than a lie.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Dave Buchanan who rides with the local mtb club did wales north to south, south to north in something around 36 hours. mostly off road!!! :shock:
  • diy
    njee20 wrote:
    Not sure how you figure about the 13-14mph though?

300 / 23 = 13mph

300 miles in a "day".
  • njee20
    Aah, I see, so you were also inferring "day" was somehow included in the question. Be interested to know what the 24 hour record is for MTBing (in the UK at least), I'd imagine the winner at a dry Sleepless in the Saddle would be close, incredibly fast course.

It's all irrelevant for the OP anyway, as all he's got to do is ride 112 miles in a triathlon, so 6 hours without going mental.
  • diy
    Indeed and I reckon he should stick to training on the road bike. Otherwise he's going to feel all odd when he tries to get aero. MTB for fun, road for training IMO
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    A group of us did the full length of the Ridgeway ending at Ivinghoe. I then rode home once we reached the beacon.
    Total of 117 miles and we completed in 11 hours (with around 2 hours of stops).

I ride MTB & road all year round.. love MTB'ing in the winter, cant beat the muddy trails!
  • kbrembo
    kbrembo Posts: 30
    125 miles in one day, outer Cairngorm Loop..on my Fatbike

101 miles last week singlespeed Stooge

580 miles and 60k ft over 5 days self supported on the Highland Trail on Rigid Salsa El-Mariachi

It's only numbers and whats relevant is how far you push yourself
  • About 42 miles at Madorc last month, on the Mega TR.
    Could, and would, have done more if we weren't getting lost all the time in an unfamiliar area. Definitely more about pacing yourself rather than outright fitness, I've had more tiring rides less than half that distance.
  • Off road, this ride of just over 40miles on the South Downs has been my longest.

ktm1_zps14c1aa7c.jpg

The hardest though, was this 2 mile climb. I stopped to puke twice! I was riding a very old Specialized Stumpjumper that I borrowed, and refused to quit and walk up. I had to set myself targets of just making it to the next bend,tree, fence post etc. I'd do it again though. :)

LauterbrunnentoWengen2_zpsd9691f14.jpg

Followed by this longer ride of just 22miles. Even so, it still took me the best part of a day to complete the ride, and was advised several times to turn back by mountain hikers that I met along the way. It wasn't until afterwards, that I discovered that I had actually gone away from the mtb route, and had ridden what was considered an impossible route. Given that I had to push the bike for seemingly most of it, I would tend to agree. Still good fun though.

longwayaround_zps0e27f640.jpg

Not at all tough terrain!

IMG_20140731_115901_zpsa9835679.jpg
  • neilus
    neilus Posts: 245
    Well eddiepj youve just proved the point i was thinking when i was flicking through this thread last night; without any reference to height gain, its almost impossible to guage how tough a ride was. Good work in Switzerland anyway, isnt the Lauterbrunnen Valley incredible?
  • Thanks Neilius.

The Lauterbrunnen valley is my favourite part of the World. Not that I've been to many places anyway. I'm lucky enough to have a friend that lives there, and it was his bike that I was riding. Sadly he suffered a stroke whilst competing in the triathlon there some ten years ago, and his health has been going down hill ever since. The valley feels like my natural home to me, but sadly I don't get to visit very often. Can't afford it. :(

The short ride was certainly tight.

The ride started at 2,500ft and the elevation gain over the 2.1 mile climb was 1,684ft. Final elevation was 4,184ft

I'm back out there again next year and plan to ride from Lauterbrunnen, up to Kleine Scheidegg The elevation gain would be roughly 4,262ft final height of 6,762ft. I'm not sure what the distance is though, but as the crow fly's it is 2.6miles, so I'm guessing that it will be approx 5-6 miles.

l1_zps9e91d2d7.jpg
  • njee20
    neilus wrote:
    without any reference to height gain, its almost impossible to guage how tough a ride was.

More to it than that though frankly, at the end of the dat you can't really compare how hard one ride is to another with some numbers, be they distance or height or whatever!