Pros winter training

specialgueststar
specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
edited November 2014 in Pro race
Anyone got any training schedules for the 'off' season.

Quite interested if volume has changed from the old skool days of miles and miles. and miles and miles and miles.

I heard Olano used to do 5 hours on the road and then 2 1/2 hours on a turbo :shock:

Comments

• Anyone got any training schedules for the 'off' season.

Quite interested if volume has changed from the old skool days of miles and miles. and miles and miles and miles.

I heard Olano used to do 5 hours on the road and then 2 1/2 hours on a turbo :shock:

Simoni used to do nothing until January. Then 3 hour rides on the sunny side of the valley he lived in.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    I've always loved the story of Juan Antonio Flecha training in the snow while his girlfriend skis.
    While most cyclists search for warmer climates to escape winter, Flecha spends weekends at his second home in Puigcerdà in the Pyrenees to sustain and improve his climbing. Unafraid of the cold and wet, he rides while his girlfriend skis, his tyres making tracks in the snow. Cars loaded with skiers pass cautiously. Despite the discomfort of frozen extremities and the risk of crashing, he finds peace and reason riding alone in the frozen environment.

from Barry's piece in Rouleur http://rouleur.cc/journal/riders/flecha
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Zabel was known to do 1000s of km from January. Armstrong was famously 'training' on Christmas Day
    M.Rushton
  • ha ha

Rui Costa ‏@RuiCostaCyclist 11m11 minutes ago
    My training today:help my parents&grandparents plant onions. Better than doing gym. If anyone wanna come,pay nothing!

B0unvGlIYAAnKbe.jpg
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Ullrich used to do similar with pies, iirc.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • The_Boy wrote:

stew drell!
  • The_Boy wrote:

Wait you can grow pies?!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

• Wait you can grow pies?!

Up several sizes in team kit
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    The_Boy wrote:

Wait you can grow pies?!

In the right climate, yes.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy

• Wait you can grow pies?!

Up several sizes in team kit

Ah the glory days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AohpWKc36dY
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Bouhanni fall at the Grenoble 3 day

Now it’s going to be total rest. I’m not going to be able to do some gym work and boxing as I had planned but that’s no drama – it’s a superficial injury all the same,” he said. “I’ll stay at home and I’ll start training again on the road after the Dijon cyclo-cross [November 23], like I do every year.”
  • In the old days the pros didn't begin training until close to the season start or maybe even the first weeks of it. Greg Lemond was known for putting on weight in the off season.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Kelly commented on Lemond's "fat a*se" at the start of the season (but also admired Greg's courage as a racer in the classics). Back in the day Hoban would refer to UK based riders as world champion winter trainers.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    mm1 wrote:
    Kelly commented on Lemond's "fat a*se" at the start of the season (but also admired Greg's courage as a racer in the classics). Back in the day Hoban would refer to UK based riders as world champion winter trainers.

Much as I'm fond of the Irish man, perhaps non-Tour winning Kelly should check out how ripped Tour-winning Lemond was on the Champs Élysées in 1989.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    For old time's sake
    Lemond-Paris89-@PhotoSport--e1317929513504.jpg
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,141
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    mm1 wrote:

Much as I'm fond of the Irish man, perhaps non-Tour winning Kelly should check out how ripped Tour-winning Lemond was on the Champs Élysées in 1989.

Note: 'start of the season' (not last day of a GT) but nice pic :wink:
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    In the old days the pros didn't begin training until close to the season start or maybe even the first weeks of it. Greg Lemond was known for putting on weight in the off season.

I thought Lemond did shedloads of cross country skiing through the winter - hence he bulked his upper body up ? Didnt he live somewhere snowy in the States ?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    Yep, I recall reading the same when I first got into cycling just after the '89 Tour. Cross country skiing together with the infamous hunting trips!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    LeMond was a freestyle skier as a kid. He only took up cycling as off-season training. He grew up around ski resorts in the Sierra Nevada.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    Pross wrote:
    Yep, I recall reading the same when I first got into cycling just after the '89 Tour. Cross country skiing together with the infamous hunting trips!

Lemond took 40-odd pellets in the hunting accident. My mate once memorably asked a group at our club how his fellow hunters managed to shoot him that many times before realising he was not a turkey, failing to grasp it was a single shotgun blast. How we laughed. :lol:
  • Kiriyenka was going up Teide yesterday.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    B1hFRfiIYAASx9I.jpg
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195

That's actually quite a sad picture. 'Killy's' white cap used to be visible from Nairobi. Used to see it regularly on the way to school on a clear day. Now there's hardly any snow left.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Global Warming i tells ya!

If you follow Nikki and Laurens on strava you ll see they re putting in rides that take in most of the Netherlands at the moment...

Closely followed by some fool commenting on how flat it is EVERY TIME!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    B1toH8iCMAA8qTA.jpg

Team Manx Telecom ‏@manxroadclub · 12h12 hours ago
    Good to see so many turn up for the opening 'Turbo Nights' including Olympic champ @Petekennaugh pic.twitter.com/qOIJi4omcE
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!