AM Hardtail Build

Nairnster
Nairnster Posts: 602
edited October 2014 in MTB buying advice
Right, so after a while away, i have decided to get back into mountain biking, and the plan is to build up an all mountain hardtail. I am toying with the following build

On One 45650b frame
Rockshox Sektor 140 mm fork
Truvativ Hussefelt stem
Octane one riser bar
odi lock on grips
thomson seatpost
sdg bel air saddle
shimano slx group with 34t front and chainguide
stan flow ex on hope pro 2 hubs
maxxis hi roller tyres (always loved these on older bikes)
Headset, seatclamp etc probably from on one

Just looking for advice from riders if AM hardtails as to whether that is a build which should be durable enough to handle the odd black run, light jumps etc without being ridiculously (i know it will never be a lightweight) heavy or expensive.

Any suggestions which may be better, with reasons, are welcome, but i am trying to keep the budget around 1200 if possible.

Comments

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Yep - that'd work.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    That'll work no problems but can I make a few suggestions?

Spend a bit more on the stem and handlebars, the ones you have picked are super heavy. I also think a build like this deserves at least trying a wider bar. A quick look on CRC (there are other shops though) show the Octane One Chemical Pro bars, Nukeproof Warhead bars and Ragley Wiser bars are all similar prices to the Octane One Chemical bars. Obviously you can disregard that if you actually meant to the Chemical Pro's. The Funn Funnduro stem is a similar price to the Hussefelt and is far lighter. I really like mine on my Mega. Another option if you don't like the Funnduro is the Truvativ AKA. That's also a similar price and little heavier than the Funnduro (still way lighter than the Hussefelt) but is available in other lengths. Both are much better options than the Hussefelt.

If you're budget can stretch to it I'd highly recommend a dropper post. Actually even if your budget can't stretch I'd recommend ditching the SLX kit and going Deore. That and a couple of other price drops should free up enough for a decent dropper.

You also shouldn't need a chain guide if you get a narrow wide chain ring and clutch mech. This obviously saves weight can also removes any issues with a guide like rubbing and the lower roller adding too much friction to the drivetrain. A narrow wide is also cheaper than a decent guide.

Are you planning to go tubeless with the Flow's? Remember you'll need valves, tape and sealant to do it.

What version of High Roller's are you planning? There might be cheaper and lighter tyres available that are better.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    I just ordered one of these http://shop.birdmtb.com/featured/zero-2-271.html

£1200 and a load of bike for the money! I chose to add a reverb to mine as i wouldn't be without one nowadays!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Looks good but fit a narrow/wide ring and clutch mech and you won't need a chain guide.
    I wouldn't put a reverb on a hardtail, I know of a few that have died quickly on hardtails.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    To be fair I have had 3 reverbs die on full sussers + 1 Which was broken out of the box so 4 broken reverbs in total. 2 replaced out right 1 warranty fix and 1 i had repaired/serviced out of warranty. Great bit of kit but my own experience tells me they are hit and miss.
  • Nairnster
    Thanks for the advice guys, i must admit i am a bit out of touch with mtb things, Slx, shadow + , narrow/wide chainrings didnt even exist, so i am still trying to get my head around it all.

I did think about tubeless, but am not sure if they are wortj it - price vs weight advantage vs reliability.

I was looking at high roller 2.35 single pky, with super tacky up front and 60a on rear.

I want a steel frame, whereas i think the bird frame mentioned is alloy. Also going for the 650b, to help future proof a bit, as it can take tapered steerer forkd, the evo 2 only takes straight steerers, so may limit future fork choice.

Your comments have givrn me some ideas though, so will get pen and paper out, and start perusing in more depth.
  • You can pick up the full bike off the shelf for £899, or add another £150 for a reverb (which I'd fully recommend). I've just converted mine to 1x10 with a superstar NW chainring (£25) and using the same deore 11-36 cassette. When that wears out I'll prob get an xt cassette and 40t cassette expander. You could do that from the off, sell the deore cassette, front mech and shifter, recoup a bit of money and save a bit of weight, all for within £1200. Its a great bike!
  • Nairnster
    Do you have sone pics of yours then?

I was sort of put off by thr full build, as i do like to have a bike how i like, and invariably end up changing bits anyway.
  • There's some pics on the hardcore hardtail thread in the 'Your bikes' section. Haven't got any posted up since its been 1x10 but will try to do so over the weekend. Got mine in the raw finish, which I really like. Go self build if you can do so for a reasonable cost but the full package is decent kit and very good vfm ...
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    Looks good but fit a narrow/wide ring and clutch mech and you won't need a chain guide.
    I wouldn't put a reverb on a hardtail, I know of a few that have died quickly on hardtails.
    Really? Reverb in particular or dropper posts in general?
  • Ferrals wrote:

Mind's been faultless in the 8 months of use I've had ... have heard some people have problems but don't think being a HT is a factor ... TBH, riding a HT, I'm probably off the saddle more than if riding a bouncer ...
  • Nairnster
    There's some pics on the hardcore hardtail thread in the 'Your bikes' section. Haven't got any posted up since its been 1x10 but will try to do so over the weekend. Got mine in the raw finish, which I really like. Go self build if you can do so for a reasonable cost but the full package is decent kit and very good vfm ...

Just seen it and it does look very nice. Does it feel heavy to ride with that spec?

How tall are you and what size frame did you go for?
  • Nairnster wrote:

Does it feel heavy to ride with that spec?

How tall are you and what size frame did you go for?

I guess it IS heavier than some other bikes at that price point but it doesn't feel heavy (to me) to ride; I had a Boardman Team before, prob over 1kg lighter, but can't say the on one has slowed me down. It climbs very capably, descends brilliantly and rolls over the flat stuff well too. I'm reasonably fit (for a 46 year old) but scoring a lot of better strava times on this bike.

If I was buying again, I'd look at other bikes, such as the bird zero, and it would be nice to have something a bit lighter, but it was the best value 650b hardcore HT at a price I could afford at the time, and I'll upgrade it gradually for lighter stuff as parts wear out. I got it as a do it all bike, instead of a used FS ... Its lighter than the kind of FS I could have afforded and pretty much as capable in my view ... Its been brilliant for me, and I have no regrets whatsoever with it.
  • Sorry, forgot to answer the other bit ... I'm 5'9" and mine is the medium (18") frame ...
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Ferrals wrote:

The ones I know of were reverbs. Dropper posts do have a harder life on a hardtail.
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    I'd never really thought of that. I'm planning on buying one imminently for my hardtail, probably a ks lev. I guess there is only one way to find out!