Cycling holiday next May - ideas, recommendations please

MrsPB
MrsPB Posts: 17
edited November 2014 in Road general
I'm looking for a holiday destination for a week next May (half term) to entertain our kids (8 and 6), my parents (history, local interest), my husband (avid road cyclist) and me (social cyclist) - warm and with a pool will be minimum requirements. Preferably flights from Exeter (Bristol/Cardiff at a push) and where a top spec bike can be hired for husband (as such a faff to fly with his).

I'm thinking Corsica, Sardinia, Cyprus, Crete, Rhodes...

Any ideas/recommendations would be welcome. We'll self cater, probably hire a villa and happy to hire a car and do some driving.

Many thanks!

Comments

• Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Majorca is excellent but not really warm enough for every day on the beach, unless you find a secluded bay. South coasts will work best.

Your choices, as listed, will be unlikely to have anything decent to rent. Crete may be the exception, as may Cyprus. Others will know.

In your situation, I would consider Lanzarote or Tenerife. They ticks all of your boxes, except for the history one. Likely to get a local flight too. It's certainly warm and have good cycling communities, so good bikes to rent.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Crete has several places to rent road bikes now plus there are several places providing winter training camps - and rightly so as I just got back from the south coast on Sunday and the roads were amazing...and brutal. We're already planning a trip for next May.

We stayed in a wee village called Myrtos (population 600) which is built on top of and surrounded my Minoan ruins. It was a fantastic place. So quiet.
  • MrsPB
    Thank you both. We went to Mallorca last year, which was lovely, but as you say Bar Shaker, not as warm as I'd have liked. That's why I was thinking a little further south and east. I'll have a look at Crete - was a bit concerned there may not be much cycling infrastructure (and erratic drivers?) but am happy to be wrong!
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    That looks good Dave. I have bookmarked your links. Thanks!
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Thanks! Anyone else?
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Sicily. Certainly warm enough, and lots of cycling too.

http://www.rentbike.it/en/bikes.html
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Lanzarotte, Gran Canaria?
    M.Rushton
  • feltkuota
    feltkuota Posts: 333
    You could try around Lake Garda. The cycling is great, you're half an hour away from Verona for things cultural, Venice is a couple of hours on the train, there's wine in the region but did I mention the cycling is great! Local climb is Monte Baldo and should the desire take you Stelvio is not so far away 3-4 hours drive.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Lake Annecy, in the French Alps. Hour's drive from Geneva - cheap flights from Bristol on Easyjet.

Annecy has all the history you could want. Plus day trips to Geneva and Lyon.

Annecy-La-vieille-ville-et-le-Thiou.jpg

The lake has stuff for the kids (pools etc).

You're in the Alps for hubby:

http://www.cycling-challenge.com/top-5- ... ke-annecy/

(Semnoz is beside, but worth heading over to Beaufortain for Rosland, Saises, Aravais etc):

7f3a0841f8a6c09529bcaf9d09fe9986_1000x700.jpg
    The Annecy cycle route is great for casual cycling, about 30 miles:

Piste-cyclable-entre-Duingt-et-le-bout-du-lac-d-Annecy_fiche_webzine.jpg
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Lovely. But op stipulated warm. Annecy will still have snow in May around the high peaks
    M.Rushton
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    It'll be warm down by the lake though, Prob mid 20s. I was there first week of June this year - sunblock, shorts and t-shirts. The climbs will be cool at the top, but not down at the bottom.
  • Not to mention it costs a bomb for everything in Annecy (apart from the cycling).
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    Fly to Pisa - base yourself near Grosetto and watch a stage of the Giro. Plus you're near the coast or can then cycle inland
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    mm, Annecy and the Jura area just to the north are great when the sun is shining but the weather can be miserable due to the altitude, etc. Last few days of my last holiday there were constant rain with temps in the mid teens...and that was August.

What about Lake Garda, as per above? Haven't been there yet (planning it for next year). Looks lumpy, some decent bike hire in the area too. Not sure about the history part but Venice isn't a million miles away.

Anyone experience the area?
  • keith57
    keith57 Posts: 164
    We go here for a week or two of road riding in the Spring, super hotel, fantastic routes, right on the beach for the little ones.

http://www.granhotelsolymar.com/index.php
    http://www.fachwen.org
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/303457

Please note: I’ll no longer engage deeply with anonymous forum users :D
  • MrsPB
    Thank you! Have just come back to this and delighted with all the replies - thanks for taking the time. Will have a look at all suggestions. Hadn't thought of Lake Garda or Annecy - may be easier to fly to from here too.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I did some digging. A good flight option to Lake Garda is Ryanair from Bristol to Bergamo. There are a few bike shops in the area that do decent hire bikes so that might be another thing to consider.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    For one week I think the Majorca suggestion is the best. Rhodes is not a great place for cycling. I absolutely loved the French Pyrenees, this summer (took the motorhome) the only problem you will have is transport from airport and not being close to the beach. There are loads of French self catering places and they are easy to book direct.
    15670749941_57baea5fcb_z.jpg
    Also depending how old your kids are (5+) you can take them paragliding for around Euro 70 amazing:
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    FlyBe go to Bergerac from Exeter. Should be warm, plenty of history in the area going right back to cave paintings, kayaking in the Dordogne and Vezere rivers for the kids plus good bike riding.
  • MrsPB
    Thanks to everyone who responded - so much great choice! In the end we've gone with Crete.