The cure for insomnia lies within...

pinno
pinno Posts: 51,321
edited October 2014 in The bottom bracket
In case you missed Billy Graham, here it is:

Scroll 2/3rds of the way down and look for the bit in bold - it might stop you snoring.

I just squeezed it in. Didn't know the maximum number of characters is 60,000
Cody wrote:
Hi everyone, just need some advice. I purchased a Boardman Comp HT 650b from Halfords on 28th August 2014 for £590 and spent £75 on a service plan and accessories from eBay like a Madison Flux bike saddle, Kryptonite Bike Lock and Mudguards. Now I have only ridden it I'd say approximately 3-4 times since I've had it, and I've had a week off work and not done much except relax but not gone anywhere near the bike once except yesterday on Saturday I rode it round the block and put it back in the garage and once during the week on a Thursday I took it to town to Halfords to get the gears checked out and rode it back home. I found that I don't really have much time for it except on weekends because I work 5 days during the week till 6pm and after work I don't ride it. I was just wondering if I should sell it, would now be a good time to try to get my money back on it or shall I wait till Spring/Summer next year come 2015 and then try or will it have reduced further in price by then. I'm looking to get around £550-600 for it, it's in immaculate condition except the tyres have dry mud on them as I rode it through a local forest on first day and the chain has been lubed. So really it's only a month old, and still new. I have with it a full years worth of service, with receipts and a service manual that came with the bike. I bought the bike so I could start riding on the Leeds canal all way to Leeds which is a 13/14 mile trek but just have never got round to it. I have another week off work in December I guess I could give it a go then but the only reason I bought the bike was so I could get in to riding more often but during the cold months it will only be on the weekend and during summer it will be some occasional evenings but mostly weekends. Should I wait and not sell it or should I sell to avoid losing more money or should I just keep it? I had a bike before and had more time then to ride I use to ride more or less everyday but now I don't.

Please advise, thanks.
Cody wrote:
Thanks Supersonic, Rockmonkey sc, Paul skibum, the Rookie, Dirkpitt 74.

I'd just like to say, the above advice is really appreciated. The more the better, helps me with making decisions and really puts things in to perspective. I use to ride at night a couple of times when I was living away from home for a couple of months but without lights, and mainly on pavements and not on roads. But back then I felt as though I had to do it because I didn't have a car, and I had a rucksack in which I use to wear on my journeys to Leeds and local town centre and put shopping in and cycle all way home. But the fact that I stopped going to Leeds was because I became a little ill after losing far to much weight in less/little time. But now I have a car, I don't really use it. I just go to work 5 days and car is either parked up during the day or younger brother takes it to work at 4pm in evening and comes back at 10-12 at night. I'm putting on weight aswell sitting in the office, I don't eat much, just a salad sandwhich and lots of water and a small evening meal. So when I just come home I have a wash and prepare myself for my evening prayers and then have a cup of tea and sit and talk to my dad afterwards. But I don't go cycling in evenings, I don't have any lights I can't afford any at the moment or even a pair of cycling shorts. Well I can but I just think do I need 3/4 quarter MTB shorts or can I just get away with jogging bottoms for the duration of the winter and then buy a pair of MTB shorts in spring or should I just buy a pair? Well actually I can afford to buy the lights I just feel as though they're too expensive for a good set of lights. I've seen some on ebay for £35-40 and their called Lezyne the small ones, macro I think but I don't know whats a good price to pay. I have time in the mornings I don't start work till 11am. So if I can maybe start a routine to either go jogging in the mornings or cycling I will do. I only weigh 12 stones, 79 kgs, so with a bit of exercise during the week I'm hoping to shed a lot of weight maybe to 11 stone or slightly less, but unsure wether to eat more meals to lose weight, but fact is, I don't like eating a lot and excessive eating is against my religious beliefs. Plus I can't do much after I've eaten I feel lazy. But I'll have to develop some sort of routine if I want to get in to biking but for now it will have to be on weekends only until I get some energy. Anyway, much appreciated for the advice. Any further advice would be appreciated.
Cody wrote:
Thanks dirkpitt, yh I'll probs have to keep recharging them all the time, I want something ideally which will last me more than 3 hours. but it looks decent. I've saved it in my watch list.

Thanks rockmonkey sc. My commute to work is only 15 mins walk there and back from where I live, so it's no use me taking bike to work, wish I could though if distance was only longer. It's been a month now since I've had the bike, a month and 2 weeks today, my bike was due in for a 6 week service today but I've only done 2 mile on it so far, so they at Halfords said it doesn't need a service, and because I've got a bike care plan for £30 they said I can bring it in anytime over the next few months and they'll give it a quick run over and service it but they said any parts needed in the service would have to be at extra cost.

I've got a pretty good motor which doesn't cost me much to run. It's a Toyota Corolla last of old shape, before the Auris came out. My road tax costs me about £175 for the year, cars due a service at 76,000 miles in January 2015 which will set me at £80 and needs an oil change so looking at extra £30 and possibly new brake pads around £75. Petrol I only put about £20 in every week, my brother does short journeys on it 5-6 times a week to work and back which is around 25 mins in car there and back. So, I'm more of a bike person than driving a car, all I do is clean and wash it and wax it every 2 weeks but younger brother drives it all the time lol

I'm popping down to SportsDirect tomorrow to get meself a pair of tracksuit bottoms for commuting in cold weather. I know I know I haven't started yet but I know once I do I will ride a lot then. Only might pay a tenner for them if I can find a pretty cheap pair. I didn't go for the 3/4 MTB Enduro shorts, thought because it's winter is there really a point in buying them, my legs will freeze.

Yh, my work place doesn't have showers to get rid of sweat and odour from cycling, so it's a no go. Besides it's 15 mins walk so it's a form of exercise for me. Plus I'm going back to eating minimal again, I'm trying to be a minimalist, living simple, simple food and valuing the most of what I have in my life and getting rid of things I don't need. I think between 1-2 meals a day is sufficient for me and when I start cycling on weekends and running in mornings I will feel a lot better. I'm putting too much weight on.

I noticed you're an admin, do you have any advice on what to wear during cold days, under a karrimor running jacket or a regatta fleece. I got a yellow running jacket cos I can't afford a cycling one, cost me £8.00 from SportsDirect.
I was wanting to wear some sort of a long sleeve loose fit t-shirt under a thin fleece or cycling jacket. What kind of fleeces do cyclists wear for long distance? I don't want anything too flimsy or tight, something baggy and loose. and casual.[/quote]
Cody wrote:
People, to be honest, I am going to start riding, it's not a matter of how and where, it's when!
I'm trying to find the right routine for myself. I tend to wake up quite late in mornings around 9/10am for work and finish at 6pm. It gets dark early so I'm just wondering, would it be better to ride mornings or late evenings. Plus I don't have the right kind of gear to ride in this weather. I don't have lights, don't have a thin fleece, don't have a pair of tracksuit bottoms but I do have a yellow jacket. Got some running gloves in yellow high visibility ones by karrimor but might need to get some MTB ones instead. I don't know where to get cycling clothing from cheap. I always thought ebay was best place but might need to shop around.

I guess it's a little harder when you're pre-occupied at work as you get older, but like you lot have said above it's about finding the time and making the effort.

I wish I waited till Spring 2015 and then got a bike. Spent £650 and ridden it 2 times!

I will do it, don't you worry, just a little motivation and enthusiasm needed :)
Cody wrote:
Hi Scoi, well I'm thinking that if and when I get in to regular riding and as Spring time approaches and as weather warms up a bit, I'll invest in a nice pair of shorts, possibly those Europa Deka 2, 3/4 calf length shorts for about £35, I'm hoping they come down by then significantly. I couldn't commute in work trousers, I have no where to shower at work to rid the smell, and no where to put the bike we don't have a garden. It's just a roadside office joined on to other shops facing more shops on other side. Well this is what I've got to begin with, I've got a Karrimor bright yellow running jacket, which I paid £8 for and looks very similar to a cycling jacket, except the cut at the bottom is differrent, otherwise you can't tell the difference. I use to wear a pair of 3/4 cut short denim jeans couple of year back when I did a bit of cycling but I do own jogging bottoms baggy type, but I think I prefer to wear the other sort with cuffed bottoms and less baggier, I will aim to get a pair this weekend from SportsDirect for around a tenner. I've got a pair of Karrimor running gloves in bright yellow, very thin with a built in key pouch but I'll save up a few bobs and buy a decent set of MTB gloves. As for lights, I don't need something too bright, the admin Supersonic said some lights to be seen or see with are ideal and I thought lights to be seen with are great way to let other cars and people know you are there and let the presence be seen. I'll probs want a nice set of easy to take on and off lights so I'll look for a good cheap set online ebay or something. Sorry to hear about your better half hope she is doing fine and going strong and hope she regains strength cycling :)

Thanks everyone for your help, I didn't realise there was a second page of posts and replies from you all.
I might try the early morning 30 minute ride, I have a local park I could go there every morning, on some days I might go jogging and on some days I might go cycling. I'm just struggling with diet at the moment, I just have a very very small breakfast at 10am and water throughout the day and an evening meal at 6pm. Jesus (peace be upon him) said, "you will not enter the kingdom of heaven, he who fills his stomach". Eating little and less is key to god consciousness in my religious beliefs. I'll give some cycling a go this weekend and let you know how it goes.
Cody wrote:
Got a bit of time to myself this evening. I suppose I eat a healthy but moderate diet for my way of life. Today I had in the morning a slice of toast, cup of tea and 1 egg. Then, throughout the day I had water and this evening at 6.30pm I had a medium sized vegetarian meal and 1 meat samosa. I think, my breakfast is too small and my evening meal is too much and maybe I should swap the two round, eat bit more for breakfast and little less for evening meal. It's adequate for what I do, 30 mins of walking each day and car cleaning/washing on the weekend and the occasional bike ride round the block. No you won't go to hell for eating Shreddies but I believe you will if you overeat, but my imaginary friend is what keeps me going in life. Every morning pre-dawn and every night I pray for salvation, so what I eat I believe is adequate for me. Maybe if I was doing miles and miles like more than 14 miles a day I suppose eating 2-3 good but small meals is ideal, but at the moment and for over a year now I just cannot eat that much. I have a small belly which has developed but god knows that it was not because of my laziness but because of what we are being fed in todays society, things like processed meat and factory farmed goods and chemically grown food and veg. This is against the natural earthly laws which we have discredited and abandoned. We are inclining more and more towards illness and corruption and less towards peace and forgiveness which is the solution for humanity. We care less what we say and do but focus on the mistakes of others without feeling the need to address them and make them aware of their wrong doings. The kingdom of heaven is only for those who de-code the meaning of life within their own personal lives and within the lives of others or at least help others to and to attain or have that special link with their creator and the reality is, in this world, to get to paradise it is surrounded by hardships whilst hell is easy, it's surrounded by desires.

So yeah, this world for me is like the battle of Somme. Prayer is for soldiers :)

Truth hurts doesn't it folks.
Cody wrote:
I'm glad I'm no longer an Atheist, it was a miserable life. But god is found in sad hearts. Many are called, few are chosen :) and now, it's can only go one way from here, up and up and up. Our return is to him and he will remind us of what we use to do. The end of all journeys is back to god.

I rode my bike this evening at 9.30pm, put on my jacket, fleece and trainers and cycled up hill for about 5 mins, then it was all downhill from there rest of the way home. Then reached bottom of hill which leads all way up to my house and cycled all way up then reached home. The end of a cycle journey is the destination which we intended to. I'm going to give it another go tomorrow night. For now, my legs need a rest. My sleeptime was at 10pm.

After praising the lord, I will retire to my bed.

Life is good :)
Cody wrote:
Yeah, I wake up around 5am to wash and then pray, then go back to sleep at 5.30.

Just like some people drink to forget, I pray to remember :)
Cody wrote:
Angus, god does not kill people otherwise, he can't be a just god. He loves us. In the final revelation, god teaches us that, he created life and death to test us. The final revelation which is the Noble Quran it states, He Who created Death and Life, that He may try which of you is best in deed: and He is the Exalted in Might, Oft-Forgiving; For those who reject their Lord (and Cherisher) is the Penalty of Hell: and evil is (such), Destination. When they are cast therein, they will hear the (terrible) drawing in of its breath even as it blazes forth, Almost bursting with fury: Every time a Group is cast therein, its Keepers will ask, "Did no Warner come to you?" They will say: "Yes indeed; a Warner did come to us, but we rejected him and said, '(God) never sent down any (Message): ye are nothing but an egregious delusion!'" They will further say: "Had we but listened or used our intelligence, we should not (now) be among the Companions of the Blazing Fire!" They will then confess their sins: but far will be (Forgiveness) from the Companions of the Blazing Fire!

So, that is just one small excerpt from the Noble Qur'an, the final revelation. We should strive to do good in this life and we will be blessed in this life and in the hereafter. This world is a cultivation ground for the hereafter. God has asked us to not associate partners with him in worship, to not worship men or mortals, but worship the unseen god alone.

Religious leaders of today have strayed far from the truth. But the scholars of the religions seem to know the real truth because they know the real truth isin't being taught in schools and to society. But when it comes to Christianity, we should determine with 50,000 errors in the Bible, what really is there in there which is truth? You're right a lot of things in the Bible didn't really happen, but a lot of things did. But we should realise that, what is the meaning of a prophet? he came to send a message, it was a continuation of the message of previous prophets. Each message was the same, to worship god alone and not to associate any partners with him.

But for those who fear their lord, is a great reward, the reward of paradise.

RockMonkey, to fear the lord is to hate evil. Men should not sleep together. It's not natural and it's a sin. Men should control their desires and get married and have children, with women only.

Thanks DirkPitt74, I really appreciate the advice. I will try it tomorrow. I only eat something small in the morning, and an evening meal of small proportion. Otherwise if I eat a lot I feel lazy and miss my prayers. I need to buy a bottle holder and a rucksack so I can hold my lunch in it and extra water bottles, just something cheap from ebay will do. I'm going to go riding tonight. Looking forward to it after my evening meal. Need to wait for British Gas to come out to one of my dads propertys to reset the meter and then will go and do some riding. I had a headache from last nights riding, don't know why. I've tried losing the weight for a long time, nothing seems to work. I weigh 12 stones, which is 78-79kgs, and I'm hoping cycling will help or aid in weight loss. I think losing weight over 2 months is a long time especially if you're cycling all the time, but I suppose fitness increases. I haven't drank coke for more than 3 years, I drink a glass of soda every couple of months but I just drink water now and eat more veg and less meat, only kosher/halal meat. My morning prayer is at 6.30am tomorrow so I'll get up and pray and go for a walk or a ride in park, thanks for the suggestion.

I'm finishing work shortly, pay day today :)
Cody wrote:
Thanks. My aim is not to convert anyone, I'm merely expressing an opinion subject to some statements made by others. Believe or don't believe, it's up to you, but my advice is, don't just believe in deluded nothingness and the Theory of Evolution which is just a theory and has been refuted and proven wrong so many times, and is the basis for the prevalence of the disbelief in the oneness of god.

Like I said in response to your statement, my imaginary friend is what keeps me going. Just like cycling may keep some of you occupied and is way of life for some of you, this is my chosen way of life, and I believe is the only natural way of life which is a systematical system and complete code for ethics and behaviour and everything else.

I guess being a good person is not just the point, you can't be good and want to live a life free from obligation of worship. Unless you didn't know about god and religion then you have a temporary excuse not to, but Jesus (peace be upon him) and all the prophets said the message of god will reach everyone so on the day of judgement they can't say they were never told.

Revelation reveals the truth.

Anyway, I hope you all have a nice weekend. Thanks so much for all the advice, really appreciated.

I will need plenty more bike advice in the coming few months, so watch out, codys about :)
Cody wrote:
Hi, I rode my bike today, woke up this morning with a flu though and catarrgh in my throat. Still managed to do 30 mins of riding in the park. Came home, had a shower, my diet was good today. lemon and water twice today, waffle and scrambled egg for breakfast, 1 piece of breast chicken at 3pm and a salmon fish at 7pm. Oh and some fruit in between, after cycling. Nice and light does it for me :)

The fossil of the snow leopard aged 4.8 million years is exactly the same with the snow leopards of our day.

Darwin said in his book which was the basis of his life long work, the origin of species that, "it was god, not chance, which created the universe." Charles Darwin was very religious in his younger days. He turned away from religion because as god says in his holy book, "those who are arrogant we harden their hearts and who is there that can guide them except me".

Scholars of religion also tell us that, man cannot create even a fly or give it life. This is more evidence that a supreme being exists.

Religion doesn't cause wars, it's people who don't believe in it and who believe the affairs of the state as their religion, they cause wars. David Cameron, Tony Blair and all the other murders who have killed thousands of innocents in Iraq and Afghanistan and in many other countries, these are the real killers. They are as Atheist as you can get. They don't believe in god, they call it what Richard Dawkins calls it, 'the god delusion'. These people god calls, 'compounded ignorance', where they think they actually know something but they don't.

The theory of evolution has collapsed in the first place, in the face of the question, “How did life begin?” Evolutionists, who tell pages of stories and create countless speculations about fossils and origins of species, cannot produce an imaginary scenarios to answer the question “How did life begin?” and fall into a deep silence: This is because it is not possible to explain how even a single protein molecule came into existence by itself through blind coincidences. There is no answer to explain how inanimate molecules came to life and turned into living organisms.

Evolution is not science, it is a pagan religion.

Science is the enemy of darwinism. Science is against atheism. Science has destroyed the foundation of the atheist philosophy. Science anhiliates and destroys Darwinism wherever it goes, wherever it becomes a current issue and wherever it shows itself. Therefore, SCIENCE IS ANTI-PAGAN. Science eradicated pagan thoughts, superstitious religions, and false ideologies. Therefore, science is one of the greatest pains for darwinists.

Lastly, the final revelation mentions the big bang and the formation of the universe. it was revealed to a prophet 1400 years ago who could not read or write. Yet, astonishingly well before telescopes were even invented and well before Hubble published his Law, Prophet Muhammad used to recite a verse of the Quran to his companions that ultimately stated that the universe is expanding.

“And the heaven We created with might, and indeed We are (its) expander.” (Quran 51:47)

I will reiterate yet again, I'm not trying to convert anyone, I'm merely expressing an opinion.

Thanks.
Cody wrote:
Right people, I'd just like to say to those who have felt offended by my words that I mean no offence to anyone who is atheist or is a non believer. Not every cycle enthusiast I come across is an atheist. A while back I met some rreally interesting people I.e cyclist who had his life turned around after finding God. I just felt it a little necessary to share some of my experience and some of you don't want to hear it as it pains you does the truth, but, praise good I feel so much better being a believer as opposed to an atheist. I came out of that shell years ago. I believe God is the light and is the way to success in life. The key to God is belief in the unseen, not spaghetti monsters but things like what God has created which we can only see in the next life like angels and spirits etc. My religion teaches that as a believer in the oneness of the divine, I must be nice to those who are not so nice, kind to those who are cruel, forgive those who are evil and so on.I'm just saying I've bettered myself as a young lad through faith. And I will pray for those who have no religion to be guided by the most merciful. I made it, so can you. And anyone else who hated being an atheist and believing in nothing which totals pain and misery for some.

And the servants of the most merciful are those who walk upon the earth easily, and when the ignorant address them (harshly) they say (words of) peace. [Qur'an 25:63]

Good night, got busy day tomorrow. Need to help my dad with his new investment property, need to get it ready to sell on. Back to bike talk tomorrow folks :)
Cody wrote:
Morning folks.

Red Devil Ghost, how can I be offended by your words, when you have been misguided? Practice patience and perseverance and you will prosper. But listen my friend, Israel is a creation of the British State, a result of the Balfour Declaration. Originally the state was to be created in Sudan or Ghana but because of a heavy religious Jewish presence in Palestine who were living peacefully among Muslims and Christians, the British decided to intervene. Three wars later and half a century later, thousands of Muslim Palestinians have either fled, or had no where to flee or have been killed by the enemies, the Zionist Jews of Israel. These Zionists are not Jews by blood, they have a political agenda and do anything to push their agenda in this particular part of the world. The original Jews who lived in Palestine prior to the creation, no longer exist. They are religious Jews and lived a very long time ago in the Middle East at a time during the dark ages and before that during the time of Moses. So, whilst Palestinians are being driven out for occupation of land, illegal occupation of land that is and being killed by the dozens, this begs the question, do we as LOGICAL HUMAN BEINGS have a right to hold a rational belief that it's ok to be against the creation of the state of Israel and to defend Palestine by any means necessary? the answer is decide for yourself.

Lord Rothschild the leader of the Jewish community in Britain at the time of around 1917 said in a letter to the government the following words, "His Majesty's Government view with favour the establishment in Palestine of a national home for the Jewish people, and will use their best endeavours to facilitate the achievement of this object, it being clearly understood that nothing shall be done which may prejudice the civil and religious rights of existing non-Jewish communities in Palestine. Source >> (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/mid ... 682961.stm)

Facilitate the achievement of this object? by killing thousands of innocents? imprisoning thousands of innocents? taking over land? bulldozing houses? cutting off water supplies and food? raping respectable Muslim women dressed in pilgrim garbs which was their sign of modesty ... all as a result of the creation of a Jewish state my friend, all in the name of Judaism and Zionism. And, then you wonder why so many people are against them, even me. But even non-religious modern day Jews are beginning to speak out against Israels code of conduct towards Palestinians. I know there are some good Jews out there who say to Israel, "not in my name", when it comes to what Israel are doing to the Palestinians, the inhumane treatment. The territory defined as the land of Israel in the Bible promised to the religious Jews, was a stone throw away from the red sea, but not where it currently is today.

The truth is that the Jewish faith and Zionism are two very different philosophies. They are as opposite as day and night. The Jewish people have existed for thousands of years. In their two thousand years of Divinely decreed exile no Jew ever sought to end this exile and establish independent political sovereignty anywhere. The Zionist movement created the Israeli state. It is less than 100 years old. Its essential goal was and is to change the nature of the Jewish people from that of a religious entity to a political movement and many Jewish spiritual leaders objected to this at the time. Zionists want the world to believe that they are the representatives of the entire Jewish people. This is false. Whoever tries to ridicule the Zionists puts his/her livelihood and, at times, his very life in danger.

The creation of Taliban was by the C.I.A and possibly ISIS OR ISIL. Russia lost the war in Afghanistan in 90's and so did America, they haven't won the war, they just don't know how to win. I could go on and on about that but I won't.

Isis aren't Muslims, they are a creation of western powers and are terror-ists. They do not represent Islam and never will. They kill innocent people and have no right to take life. If you want to know about Islam, read the Qur'an.

Just want to state the obvious on Darwinism and Evolution. Have you seen the disasters darwinisms evolution theory brought to humanity in the past 100 years? amounts of blood were spilled and people subjected to the most terrible fear and oppression. Such dictators as Hitler, Stalin inflicted genocide on millions. Hitler had those whom he regarded as useless exterminated in the gas chambers. Hundreds of thousands of people in many Western countries from Great Britain to Germany, from the USA to Sweden were by force sterilized or left to die just for being sick, crippled or old. All over the world, people were oppressed and exploited because of ruthless competition. Racism became the ideology of certain states, and some races were not even regarded as human at all. They proposed the notion or thought that life is a battlefield, that the oppression and even extermination of the poor and those races whom they regarded as inferior was justified. That as a result of that pitiless struggle, the fittest would survive and the rest would be eliminated and that all this would lead to human progress. With his theory of evolution, Darwin sought to apply this philosophy of selfishness to the natural sciences. Ignoring the examples of solidarity and cooperation created by God in nature, he maintained that all living things were engaged in a ruthless struggle for survival. On the basis of no scientific evidence whatsoever, he even claimed that this same ruthlessness applied to human societies. So basically to sum some of it up, he regarded the lives of the poor, the sick, the ill, the disabled and the weak as unimportant. Hitler and Stalin adopted this ideology seriously and it caused major catastrophes.

Yes Rookie. You must believe in the 6 day creation if you want to be a believer, but god didn't rest on the 7th day, god doesn't need rest or he isin't god :) In the final revelation, god tells us, he "created life in stages", and the creation of the embryo in the mothers womb is in there too step by step. God can do anything he wants, all he has to say is, be and it is.

Remember I'm not trying to convert anyone, I'm merely expressing an opinion :)

Right I got to go get a haircut and do some work.
Cody wrote:
I'm not deluded, was just in a rush to write what I wrote above which wasn't concise, it's what happens when you're rushing. Yes in 1989 the Russians tried to force communism on to the country's population, but the Afghans with the Americans support fought back the Russians with the support of Mullah Omar as the religious leader of the Mujahideen soldiers, but his main desire was to lead the Taliban which at the time was a powerful movement raised to bring stability to a country ripped apart by the Russian war. But instead of the Islamic world which Omar had a vision for, the Taliban turns Afghanistan in to a humanitarian disaster. If you go back 10 years before, around 1973 which was when King Zaheer Shah was in power and fell from power in to exile from a power struggle which ruined international relations. This made Afghanistan an inviting target from one of the most or the only most powerful force in the region, the Soviet Union. The kremlin feared that the Unites States could have used Afghanistan to threaten the Soviet mainland, according to a C.I.A officer. But the Soviets knew they couldn't afford to lose Afgghanistan due to it's resources and opium and the lesson was never learned when the British was in Afghanistan during the late 1800's and were defeated by warriors even then, so how could the Soviet defeat the Afghans if Afghanistan has never been defeated, even Genghis Khans army and Alexander the Great couldn't do it.
The Russians supposedly left not only thinking they couldn't defeat but they had no money left in the reserve for to fund the war, or so I'm led to believe.

Why did you work in the region, what role did you play?

Cooldad, yes I meant to say Balfour wrote the letter to Rothchild, we make a mistake sometimes, when we're rushing.

Rockmonkey, you're right. It's been about oil and if you watch Zeitgeist the movie, it's written and narrated by some Christian or whatever you call them, I don't know the name for them but they're some guys who know everything about the hidden powers in the world and behind the governments which dictate to us what to do and these guys they say that the last war, armageddon will be Islam vs the world, and Islam will prevail all over the world and Jesus will return and fight the devil and convert to the biggest religion at that time and lead by example. But it's not just a war on oil, it's a war on religion, to stop the spread of Islam which will conquer the world and it's been prophecised by many of the worlds greats like George Bernard Shaw, Thomas Carlysle, Napoleon and much much more, but what they tell you in the media is it's a war against propoganda and the spread of terrorism. They are going in to Islamic countries and have been doing since Islam spread in the 7th Century. The first country to be attacked by Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand was Andalusia, Spain. They feared Islam would spread in to Britain and Europe, not radical Islam but the beautiful Islam we don't see in the media. Guess what they did, it was called the Spanish Inquisition, they killed thousands of Muslims, exiled the Jews and Tortured the Christians for refusing to leave the land. Grenada was the last to fall in Spain. So even at a time when Muslims were living peacefully in Europe, British kings and Queens were intent on causing havoc. Even Jerusalem was conquered by the Crusades. It's always been a war against Islam, they will just never tell you in the media. Islam is always in the media, not even money can buy that amount of publicity.

I'm not saying all of this to impress anyone on this forum. I'm merely expressing a fact or an opinion :)

Not sure if I've missed anything out.

I've been for a bike ride yesterday, did 3 laps around park. Just had a bit to eat today, some waffles in morning and some soup at 3pm and hot fluids in between. Got work tomorrow, once I've recovered from this flu I'll make an effort to do some jogging this week, early mornings just as the other guy suggested I should make use of my mornings wisely.
Cody wrote:
What has been written (prophecised) will surely come to pass. We're not stupid if we knew it wasn't going to happen. Think about it, why would we spend our whole lifes worshipping something we can't see? we would be wasting our times if we knew there wasn't going to be something at the end of it i.e paradise. and I think we would be wasting our time in frivolity in this world knowing there is hell at the end of a life free from the obligation of worship. Those who have no purpose in this life thinking that their only purpose is to believe nothing, they are the losers. Believe in something, it gives you hope to live.

Anyway, I've gone through 2 weeks so far of eating 1 meal a day and the occasional breakfast and snack in between and plenty of fluids e.g tea and water. I hope to keep it up. I am feeling a bit tired maybe because of lack of calories or calorie deficit. But I couldn't be too sure. Doctors advise us to eat between 2-4 or 6 small meals a day. That's dangerous because dangerous toxins are produced in the body as a result. I'm not very comfortble with eating more than 2 small meals a day, I can't do anything otherwise.

I woke up this morning, very windy, didn't go cycling or running, been really windy and stormy all night.

What was it like in your part of the country guys?
Cody wrote:
Thanks Chunkers for putting it in to context.

Well Jody P, I'm religious and want to increase in spirituality and from what I've researched and from what I know about eating is that, our bodies are designed to be food deprived. This is exactly what the Caveman Diet entails and so does the China Study. Our bodies are designed to fast for many days at a time. Although I don't believe in man developing from apes and certain aspects of evolution, I agree with it's eating habit where the diet of a caveman is such that they need to feel the hunger and only eat when they are really hungry and not because they think they should just eat when they feel like. My spirituality increases when I eat light, less and the right food. I develop anger problems when I consume meat which is why I now eat meat once every 2-3 weeks, and only a small bit and it has to be Halal or Kosher, can't be anything like Swine or Beef or whatever, it's forbidden in both Bible and Qur'an. I don't drink alcahol as it's forbidden in my religion, but that's out of the question anyway it's not good for you full stop.

Yeah, I have a medical condition. I've suffered from an overactive Thyroid when I was 7 and an underactive Thyroid at 11. Since then my metabollism has slowed down immensely and have gained weight. Was super slim at 16 until I moved house at 17 and just put on 3 stone in weight. I use to cycle to and from my old house to my new house every day whilst I was renovating it but stopped once I moved in. I have it reviewed every 6 months but doctors advice is always the same, he thinks it's fine. I don't think it's just fine. I think there is a natural way to heal a Thyroid problem but I haven't researched it and if I do, my parent's won't believe me and they'll just keep forcing me to take medication for rest of my life. The thyroid is a small butterfly shaped organ in the middle of the neck which produces 50% of the bodys energy levels, and that's about all I know. I watched a video last night on Tyroid problems and it was an American girl explaining that a good diet should be followed, no processed food, less meat more vegetables, low sugar drinks, plenty of water and so on.

I personally believe that we shouldn't eat too much and only a little but then again, my lifestyle is not cycling. My diet is based on the lifestyle I'm living. Working in office from 11-6pm, 5 days a week. so If I just eat and eat, I'm going to get fat. I didn't go out this morning as it was very windy all night long, WISE DECISIONS.
Cody wrote:
However, my brother is the total opposite. Let me just give you a brief of my life when I was younger. I played cricket and football everyday and ate a lot, I was super slim or I looked anorexic, but now I don't have energy to do sports, I just feel as though I don't have the energy. My brother graduated from uni as a sports physiotherapist and nutritionist. he goes gym 4 times a week, doesn't like walking and hates running outside in the park. He goes running on a treadmill and does cardio, he weighs 10 stones with less than 10% body fat.

Paul Skibum, don't you think 2000-3000 calories is too much, and 1000 or less is too little, so, somewhere in between that would be ideal wouldn't it?

At the moment I'm at work, drinking a bottle of Ribena light which is an awesome 20 calories.

I'm trying to lose weight through three things, cycling, running and walking. I walk 30 mins each day, which is not enough, I go running 2-3 times a month in park and cycling twice a week. But that will change so as I find out why my energy levels are so low.
Cody wrote:
Hi, I decided to have an additional meal today. An hour ago I had a tuna and sweetcorn sandwich and a packet of crisps from my local co-op and another bottle of ribena light. I am quite full now and don't think I could eat a 3rd meal in evening, even though it's a long way off. I might just have a soup and a whittards caramel hot chocolate and go bike riding for a bit after 8pm, just locally. Or, if I can I will try to eat a 3rd meal maybe a chicken burger with chips.

Rockmonkey, don't gain the world and lose your soul.
Cody wrote:
Well it was in a brown oatmeal bread with low fat mayonaise and the ribena was 20 calories, that's what it said on the bottle. The sandwich was 340 cals.

I don't know what else to eat. My brother eats really healthy everyday but he eats fresh breast chicken which we buy from our uncles meat shop in manchester every month. We get it at cost price. He eats brown rice and pasta and chicken, that's his diet. and some vegetables.

yh its a fried burger with fried chips. we also have option to have grilled but costs bit more. it's £2.50 for a burger meal but for a grilled its about £3.50.

I'm finishing work now and it's sunset so it's prayer time and then home time.
Cody wrote:
Well in England, eating beef is more likely to harm you than eating pork. Chickens contain all kinds of diseases partly because of mass production practices which we loudly fail to denounce. But Allah (god) our heavenly father wants us to see wether we can hold our hands back, it's a partial fast, we fast from all forms of food during Ramadan, and we fast from some kinds of foods throughout our lives, that's the distinction between the halal (lawful) and haram (unlawful) legislation, that the benefits of fasting are available to us even when we're not fasting, because we abstain from certain types of foods and certain types of pleasures which intrinsically given that gods creation is so pure, and that it's his creation. our own contingent and not absolute. There's nothing wrong with the absolute consumption of pork. It's only wrong because Allah (god) our heavenly father has said, to test us, don't consume it. His command is a word and his punishment is a word.

Jesus never ate pork, Mary never ate pork. All 124,000 prophets who walked the earth from Adam to Muhammad (peace be upon them) never ate pork, it's a documented fact.

I'm going to aim to eat a bit more tomorrow, 2 meals and a snack and plenty of fluids.

I rushed home today it was freezing cold, so I decided to get a grilled peri burger from a local shop and ate it on my way home, missed my prayer though. I commited a sin yesterday by lusting at a woman who was married and I sinned today so I have to repent, I need to spend rest of the night repenting along with some sleep. Yes I'm ashamed if you ask me, it's not a nice feeling and it makes you feel guilty when you lower yourself to that level and the only solution to these problems is marriage. Too many women and girls in society dressed almost naked, how can a man of god walk these streets? we are living in the end times my brothers, wake up and realise. I must go now I delayed my prayer earlier on so want to go pray it.
Cody wrote:
Yh I sinned, I was sat face to face with a woman in my office, showing her cleavage and I lusted with my eyes and heart. That's like commiting adultery right there. She was smiling and staring back at me. A couple of months back I was with a girl younger than me and the dangers of being alone with the opposite sex is not good. She held my hand and said she wanted to kiss me so I kissed her. Then I touched her bum and did that couple of times, and then it was over, so she comes in to my office now and then and likes to wink at me to arouse my feelings, but I try to ignore her. Women are just corrupt, the girls of today think covering up is being oppressed whereas in fact it's the other way round, those who like to have pre-marital sex and show their cleavage and go clubbing and drinking and have boyfriends, they are the losers. They have unsucessful marriages, it's a fact. Look at the statistics, divorce rates are climbing amongst non-religious familys.

I'm just at work. On lunch break. Well here's a little something I could find from books I read, or have read, but there's diferrent versions and editions of the Bible and unfortunately I'm not a scholar so I couldn't distinguish who follows what and which to be true. It's because of interpolation which took place over a period of 2000 years, 100 years after Christ up until the present day and still ongoing.

The Gospels show Jesus breaking the laws of the Torah. According to Matthew and Mark, Jesus said that all foods are clean, but the Jewish Law clearly prohibits the consumption of pork.

Jesus was a Jew by blood, but he was actually a Muslim (A Muslim is anyone who submits his will to the will of god and believes in the message of peace and in the oneness of the divine, not the trinity).

The Gospels were written under the influence of Paul, who rejected the Jewish Law (Hebrews 5:13, Galatians 3:13)

The Gentile writers fabricated these words to make Jesus say that all foods are clean, thus supporting the Pauline doctrine. According to Matthew 5:17-20, 23:23, Jesus came to preach the Jewish Law, and what does the Jewish Law say about eating pork?

And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be clovenfooted, yet he cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you.
Of their flesh shall ye not eat, and their carcase shall ye not touch; they [are] unclean to you. (Leviticus 11:7-8)

And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud, it is unclean unto you: ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcase. These ye shall eat of all that [are] in the waters: all that have fins and scales shall ye eat: (Deuteronomy 14:8-9)

The Bible prohibits the eating of pork. Jesus never made permissible the consumption of "all" foods, it was a Pauline innovation by the Gospel writers.

Do you see the point I'm trying to make? if not, at least try or read your Bible whichever copy you've got.

What I'm trying to say is, Jesus only ate kosher meat and was forbidden to eat pig’s flesh. Jesus said that he had come to uphold the law and not to destroy it, the original law of god. Jesus was educated in the synagogue in Jerusalem from the age of twelve. He preached in the synagogue. He used to keep the synagogue clean. No Christian today can be found performing these actions. How many Christians have been even been circumcised in the manner that Jesus was? The services now held in today’s churches were developed long after Jesus had disappeared. Many of them come directly from the pagan Graeco-Roman mythological rites. The prayers they use are not the prayers which Jesus made. The hymns they sing are not the praises which Jesus sung. Due to the innovations of Paul and his followers, there is no revealed teaching left as to what to eat and what not to eat. Anyone given a “Christian education” today eats what he feels like. Yet Jesus and his true followers only ate kosher meat and were forbidden to eat pig’s flesh”.

The Gospels imply that eating pork is forbidden, since Jesus murdered over 2,000 pigs by drowning them in the sea, and he will destroy the pigs on his Second Coming.

And he said unto them, Go. And when they were come out, they went into the herd of swine: and, behold, the whole herd of swine ran violently down a steep place into the sea, and perished in the waters. (Matthew 8:32, Mark 5:13)

So yeah that's just some of it, there is plenty of verses in the Qur'an aswell which prohibit swine flesh and alcahol or wine. The Bible also prohibits wine and I can back it up with statements too.
Cody wrote:
Yeah I am genuine briggio, if I wasn't then why would I seek sincere advice from people on here. Did I start this religious conflict on this thread, or was it cooldad who lost his cool when I mentioned evolution! and then it lead to religious hardtalk. Anyway, no thanks for the pork, I've never eaten it, pretty sure I never will. I'm probably the youngest bike enthusiast on this forum yet I have common sense. Don't be in 2 minds and doubt, doubters won't get anywhere or be successful in life. Everything I said has been in my own words and I can vouch for it. I know from experience and from users on this thread that most of you are atheists and most or predominantly Caucasian people in this country have turned their backs on religion and good morals and refined character. I haven't got a problem with that, I just don't want to see anyone burn in hell even if they've been good people but they refuse to believe in god. It's our job as believers to advise others of the almightys presence. In the final revelation it is written that, He the lord is nearer to us than our jugular vein. When I say 'HE' I don't mean he is a man, I mean the most high. Jesus said, "not everyone who says to me lord lord will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my father who is in heaven". So some Christians should realise that Jesus is not god or god incarnate but merely a messenger of god or gods agent on earth.

As for me sinning and some people choosing not to believe, I don't really confess my sins anyway otherwise I will be punished for it in the hereafter and on the day of recompense. But I shared it because I was feeling guilty and had to overcome which I did through patience and prayer. Seeking forgiveness takes a lot of weight off your heart. So does forgiving your enemies and those who do bad to you and insult you, sometimes it's a hard thing to do but we got to realise that those individuals don't know god and his blessed teachings. God has hardened some of your hearts, but god also says, from rocks rivers flow so hard hearts can be softened. Everything I say religiously someone on here has a problem with it of some sort. But no one so far has been able to test my cool :) because, I am endowed with knowledge from my lord who has increased me in knowledge, and the ability to keep calm and collective with the ungodly.

I plan on getting married next year to someone religious. My life only gets better and better as each day goes by, the only thing I'm lacking now is cycling and making the most use of my bike. I know I will I can do it, it's just a matter of trying.
Cody wrote:
Rockmonkey - have you had a bad experience with estate agents?

Paul.Skibum - I've met someone, introduced to me through extended family, but talks and negotiations still ongoing. I get a chance to meet the girl soon and get to know her and if she agrees, we can take things further. The parents do all the negotiations, In my religion, marriage is considered half of the religion, then the other half is worshipping god and fulfilling the rights of a husband to the wife. The religious function or wedding I will have is called a Nikah where it's just a simple, not lavish wedding and I have to sign a contract. Both parties mutually agree and enter into this contract. Both bride and groom have the liberty to define various terms and conditions of their liking and make them a part of this contract. Marriage (nikah) is considered as an act of worship. It is virtuous to conduct it in a Mosque keeping the ceremony simple. The marriage ceremony is a social as well as a religious activity. Islam advocates simplicity in ceremonies and celebrations. Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) considered simple weddings the best weddings. He said, "The best wedding is that upon which the least trouble and expense is bestowed". Also, after the consummation of the marriage, the groom holds a banquet called a walima. The relatives, neighbors, and friends are invited in order to make them aware of the marriage. Both rich and poor of the family and community are invited to the marriage feasts. Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said, "The worst of the feasts are those marriage feasts to which the rich are invited and the poor are left out".

That's pretty much a basic outline, of what I have to go through, there's a lot more but I'm just at work so will get a chance to elaborate more on it later if you want me to.

Oh and I'm 25, didn't say I was youngest, I said I'm probbably the youngest.
Cody wrote:
I get a chance to meet the girl soon and get to know her
One of us is confused. You do know what 'met' means?
Cody wrote:
Also, after the consummation of the marriage, the groom holds a banquet called a walima. The relatives, neighbors, and friends are invited in order to make them aware of the marriage.
[/quote]
So a street party to celebrate your first shag. Subtle. Afterwards you'll be a cruddie.

Is She Hot?
Cody wrote:
Religious beauty is something everyone adores, but the beauty of the woman and her body is only for the husband to be seen in private and not for the enjoyment of anyone else wether in public or at home. Unlike some Caucasian girls in this country, religious girls are modest and humble. Religious girls differ from the western concept. Modesty as a sense of shame or shyness in human beings is a shrinking of the soul from foul conduct, a quality that prevents one from behaving badly towards others or encouraging others to behave badly towards you. Islamic ethics considers modesty as more than just a question of how a person dresses, and more than just modesty in front of people. Rather it is reflected in a Muslim’s speech, dress, and conduct, in public in regards to people, and in private in regards to God. Any talk of modesty, therefore, must begin with the heart, as the Prophet of Mercy said, ‘Modesty is part of faith', and that part of faith must lie in the heart. According to the Qur'an, when Adam and Eve ate from the fruit of the forbidden tree, they became aware that their private parts were exposed, and they began to cover themselves with the leaves of Paradise, a natural result of their modesty.

Have I met her?
I meant to say, I've met her and will be meeting her again and god willing, if things work out I'll be going down often to see her, but we can't do anything before marriage or do vain and idle talk.

The witnessing of the marriage is so that, when you go out somewhere together in public, people then know you are legally married and not commiting adultery or fornication. Unlike some Caucasian girls in this country they are most likely to do the wrong things before marriage and date and have estranged relationships before marriage, and sometimes never get married even after being with that guy for a while.
Cody wrote:
You see, I can't help but inform you Pesky,

You see I don't know what comes to your mind when you think of a Muslim woman? A mysterious, veiled victim of male oppression, awaiting Western liberation? A slogan shouting terrorist? An uneducated foreigner with whom you have little or nothing in common? Unless your social circle includes Muslim friends and acquaintances, the chances are that your impressions of Muslim women have largely been formed by negative media stereotypes e.g images that usually have little to do with real life, and may have been designed to attract more viewers, sell more products, or gain support for someone's political agenda. Ain't that right :)
Cody wrote:
Stop editing my posts Pesky, I know my words hurt your feminine feelings, tickle tickle :)

Those of you with little or no understanding, and Pesky, how much do you really know about Muslim women's lives or views, and why does it matter? Well, for one thing, Muslims account for 20-25% of the people on this planet, and Islam has become the second main religion in Europe and United Kingdom. But did you know that the majority of European and American and British converts to Islam are women, not men? Would it surprise you to learn that many women in the Muslim world feel sorry for Western women and view them as being victimised? Have you ever stopped to consider why Muslim women who immigrate to the West usually maintain their identity and strive to pass it on to their children? A thinking person may well ask, if Islam is as oppressive to women as some journalists would have us believe, why aren't Muslim women running away in droves? What it is about Islam that attracts any followers outside its heartlands?

The truth, like real life, is beyond propaganda and stereotypes :)
Cody wrote:
GT's younger.

Seriously - arranged marriage!!. That's the most fukked up thing I know. "Talks and negotiations still ongoing" Massive WTF.

Arranged marriage is not wrong, what you are probabbly referring to is forced marriage. You have the wrong notion, yet you are putting the onus on something which works for many people and people like the Victorians had arranged marriages and so did the Edwardians.

THE ROYAL FAMILY even had an arranged marriage. When I use to attend college in Leeds a few year back, I saw pictures of Williams wife, Kate and her Royal ancestry in the City Library. I couldn't believe it, they were related to the Queen and everyone thinks he met his wife at uni :shock:

Arranged marriage should not be confused with the practice of forced marriage. In an arranged marriage, while the meeting of the spouses is arranged by family members, relatives or friends, the spouses agree of their own free will to marry. By contrast, in a forced marriage, one or both spouses are coerced into the marriage, the union takes place without their freely given consent (under duress, threats, psychological pressure etc.)

8)
Cody wrote:
welshkev wrote:
Serious question. My friends wife is a Muslim. She's White and I'm sure they had sex before marriage. What's yiur take on that?

My reply to that would be.

Sometimes, we make mistakes before we attain the heights of woman or manhood. Making these mistakes is a vital part of life in order to ensure our ongoing journey of learning. I'm assuming she is a revert right? How could you be sure they had pre-marital relations or intercourse? if so and if that was the case then they have the chance to repent to god for making these mistakes and to make a vow to god they will never do that again outside of marriage. It will impact on the behaviour of the child when he/she is born and when they grow up, they can become promiscuous as a result of the parents behaviour in the past. If hey decided to get married and ARE PRACTICING their religion faithfully, their marriage will last, god willing. If however they are just a married couple and have no intention of practicing, their marriage won't last and they will never know peace, or even attain it. Their children will grow up confused e.g the son will wan't to be of a different religious belief and the daughter wants to be of the other, they will rebel against their parents if they try to teach their children religious morals and grounding. In todays society, we are forced to accept the fact that it's ok to let our sisters and daughters to go out late at night, make friends with men of whom we do not approve of or have single unmarried men as friends, and to have relationships with strange men and be involved in a life which totals misery. This is wrong, so we should aim to correct our mistakes, if the girl has done bad in the past she should aim to rectify herself because if she's religious, she will know that one day she will face her creator and answer for her mistakes. So she should reform her character to such an extent which when she meets god, he will be pleased and will have mercy on her and forgive her, and admit her in to one of the gardens of paradise.
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• qube
    qube Posts: 1,899
    Awww, does this mean this thread is finished?
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,861
    Piña way too much time on your hands to copy all of that! :)
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Is the bike still for sale?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    tim wand wrote:
    Is the bike still for sale?
    Negotiations are ongoing.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.