Advice on new bike

keithbereal
keithbereal Posts: 12
edited October 2014 in Road beginners
I am newish to biking and have decided to upgrade from my second hand shed as am enjoying the biking.
I have a £600 budget and I have been looking at both these bikes.
The names don't mean much to me and I really don't know if they are good starter bikes or just rubbish.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitu ... prod107031
or
http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/focus-va ... 75565.html

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Keith

Comments

• navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Neither link works.
  • Navrig2 wrote:
    Neither link works.
    think i have done it right now
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    If it's between those two only I'd go for the Vitus as it has 10 on the rear and a good range in those gears.
    The Focus is a triple which may be what you're after but they're not really most people's cup of tea.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Gethinceri wrote:
    .....The Focus is a triple which may be what you're after but they're not really most people's cup of tea.
    Do you mean the Focus or the triple?

Nothing wrong with a triple. Nothing generally wrong with Focus either.
    However the groupset is at least a couple of years old. I think Tiagra went to 10 speed in 2012, maybe it was 2013, so it's not the current groupset and hasn't been for a coupel of years. The same possibly goes for the bike. I'm not sure as I'm not familair with the Variado. That doesn't make it a bad bike and that version of Tiagra is perfectly good (I use it myself on my #2 bike) but it may not be quite the bargain it looks. Is suspect you may find an equally good bike from 2013 or this years outgoing model with the current groupset but still marked down due to frame model.
  • gethinceri
    I mean that triples are not most people's cup of tea.
  • ai_1
    Gethinceri wrote:
    I mean that triples are not most people's cup of tea.
    There is a common opinion that they're no longer relevant due to the advent of compact double with wide range cassettes. Many talk about triples being heavier and more difficult to maintain. I think these cons are largely nonsense. The weight difference is very minor (maybe 2% of bike weight at most and usually less) and maintenance is almost non existent just like other modern groupsets. I've ridden a triple for nearly 4 years and bought a new bike with a compact earlier this year. Both work great. I'm glad I had the triple as a beginner. It's more flexible. Now I'm fine with the compact and an appropriate cassette. The groupset is better but not because it's a compact. I'd have no problem recommending a triple to a beginner (or anyone else).
  • gethinceri
    I would be quite happy to argue the toss with you but I am not against triples. I pointed out that the Focus is a triple is all.
  • ai_1
    Gethinceri wrote:
    .... I pointed out that the Focus is a triple is all.
    In that case I agree with you :wink:
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Vitus - triple butted tubes vs double butted and full carbon fork. It's actually a cracking spec for the money . There is not wrong with 9sp Tiagra on the focus, but the newer 10 sp on the Vitus will be marginally better, plus it comes with 25mm which are the latest fashion and allegedly make for a comfier ride.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • cheers for all your help guys