anyone use 2 brand new bikes

radiation man
radiation man Posts: 446
edited November 2014 in Road buying advice
guess this idea is mad i bought a cannondale supersix full bike and was going to take parts off it and build it up to my spec but when i got it i liked it the way it was, i like the bike so much that i im even thinking of getting another one before they are sold out, to use 1 for going to work to replace my trek 1.5 and one for best, the price is 1100 for the full bike or a supersix hi mod frame to build up for 1500

Comments

• MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    You'll not get guards, racks or any practical things fitted to a SuperSix, which would rather compromise it's usefulness as a commuter. Would be rather expensive to lose to a crash or the kind of opportunistic theft that could occur to a nice bike that's out of the house 8-9 hours of the day, too.

Surely the whole point of a "best" bike is that it's different from your day to day ride anyway, otherwise just have one bike and maintain it well?
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I had 2 identical Scott Foils at one point. It was a bit boring and I realized that I could only ride one at a time. Save your money.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    come on, we're all waiting to see the mythical new bike, post it up on "your road bikes".
    In the mean time, if you like the cannondale bikes try a caad8 for commuting, it takes guards ok
  • still not sure if to get another cannondale supersix bike as my trek bike isnt as good to ride as my new supersix, i seem to be using the supersix more now but guess it would soon get wrecked with the rain etc , the supersix fits great at size 50 but the other supersix would be a 52, i think my head is cabbaged now lol
  • Grill
    1. Bikes don't melt in the rain. The are not the wicked witch.
    2. If 50 is a great fit, why on earth would you consider a different size?
    3. If you could stop being silly, that would be great.
  • has anyone got 2 brand new bikes exactly the same, one which they use for winter and the other one for summer and racing.
  • Grill
    I had identical Scott Foils for a while. Why?
  • Grill
    Dammit, just realised who's asking...
  • Same answers as the other times you asked the same question. If the fabled cannondale super six exists..... Go on post it in the my bike section...
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Love these threads.....
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Why would you do that ?

Traditionally if you have one bike - ride it all through winter and summer. Save up for new bike.

New bike is now your best bike and the first is now your winter bike.

If you've got the cash now and don't want an upgrade yet - buy a cheaper winter bike - like that blue one from Ribble. Fit it with lights. Get wider tyres and guards on it and it will be comfier for you and you won't be that upset if you slide down the road on it on black ice.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Can i nominate this as "most retarded thread of the year"?

Can I also suggest we hold an award in BB?
  • I think it is one of those question where the answer is Yes and No.

Hope that helps.
  • I think it is one of those question where the answer is Yes and No.

Hope that helps.

Further 7 day ban for being facitious
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Further 7 day ban for being factual

There, fixed it for you. 8)
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    i try to ride 3 times a week so i have 3 identical bikes as i couldn't possibly ride the same one more then once a week.... ;-)
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • Can i nominate this as "most retarded thread of the year"?

I nOminate anything written my manc33..
  • I would have thought it would be perfectly feasable to run two identical frames at the same time if you happened to love that frame to bits and had one with cheaper heavy duty wheels and drivetrain plus guards for winter use, and the other with all the shiny kit for summer/ racing.
    For example, my humble Trek 1.1 takes on a Jeckyll and Hyde role, with light wheels, no guards and a close range cassette for racing, and then the sturdy wheels, ordinary cassette the rest of the time, with full guards bolted on at the end of the season.
    So I could fully imagine having two of those frames permanently set up ready to go.

However:
    Most race rocket frames don't have great clearance for proper mudguards, and why wouldn't you specialize the bikes properly, rather than potentially have two jack of all trades bikes. I would not go out any buy another entry level Trek (or any other!) frame to add to my stable- it wouldn't add anything.
    Why not have one winter cyclocross/ endurance/ bruiser of a frame for training and winter, and a featherlight road racer for summer?

I feel I've wasted too much time typing now anyway... :roll:
  • "I have a silly notion. Please give me affirmation"
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249

Apparently not.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Veronese68 wrote:

Apparently not.

Ssssh! You'll get me into trouble