Brake Bleed Screw Up

Newb2014
Newb2014 Posts: 4
edited October 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I literally screwed up. I have never bled brakes before so I figured I would give it a try. I couldn't get the bleed screw off easily so I applied more force and snapped the screw...... half still in the calliper housing.

The brakes are shimano deore lx. The brakes were already giving my trouble with a sticky calliper and I popped the other calliper part way so some fluid came out when trying to fix the stuck calliper. This was the reason behind the bleed.

Complete rookie mistakes. What are my options. Replace the calliper?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Do you mean the bleed nipple? That takes some doing to snap it and never even had one stiff, you shouldn't be removing it anyway, just loosening it.

It is possible to use an 'easy out' in the centre hole, otherwise, yes, it's new calliper time.

Did you read the manual before starting at all?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yeah the bleed nipple. I couldn't get it to budge. I know I only needed it to quarter turn. The bike is second hand so its possible it hasn't been done for awhile.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Well it may come out with an easy out, if not it's a new calliper, of course the seal may be damaged where the piston came out to far anyway.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Went to LBS and got a used calliper from them for a discount price. Easier than fixing the existing calliper than may have messed up seals and the broken bleed nipple