Lakes tyre choice

defride
defride Posts: 277
edited October 2014 in MTB buying advice
Off to The Lakes with a HT shortly and currently running Schwable Snakeskin Racing Ralphs 2.25 f&r. Thinking I might do well to put a Hans Dampf on the front? What do you reckon and what about the rear, will the RR hold up in the rocks?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Depends where you ride but a lot of the trails I did this summer were very rocky, shredded my Rubber Queens. Specialized Purgatory's help up much better.
    Hans Dampfs are enormous and won't fit in a lot of forks if you want any useful mud clearance.
  • defride
    defride Posts: 277
    Depends where you ride but a lot of the trails I did this summer were very rocky, shredded my Rubber Queens. Specialized Purgatory's help up much better.
    Hans Dampfs are enormous and won't fit in a lot of forks if you want any useful mud clearance.

Thanks, that's good to know, expect it'll be rocky natural trails if the weather's not too bad, whatever the weather I'd expect it'll be damp at best.

Forks are Fox Float 100mm travel so the 2.2 HD's might be a better option? Anyone with a view on that?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I had the Float 120 and clearance was a bit tight. I have found that Schwalbe tyres loose knobbles on rocky trails. My Muddy Marys are almost slicks now and I know others have complained of the same with Hans Dampfs.
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    defride wrote:

Thanks, that's good to know, expect it'll be rocky natural trails if the weather's not too bad, whatever the weather I'd expect it'll be damp at best.

Forks are Fox Float 100mm travel so the 2.2 HD's might be a better option? Anyone with a view on that?

Trust me it will be more than damp, in fact it!s way more then damp already (I live in the Lakes :? ).

Currently running High Rollers II which seem to be coping ok so far. Would like to try the Purgatory's though.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive