Finding trails

red17racing
red17racing Posts: 25
edited October 2014 in MTB beginners
Just bought my 1st off road bike which I pick up at the weekend but was wondering on the best sources for finding the local off road trails / bridleways etc - I've found a few on google maps to get started but is there a more complete list / map source that may be worth a look (I'm based in Croydon so looking at the area just south of that / top edge of the North Downs)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The easiest way is to get in contact with local riders that already know them, otherwise the OS maps are good (free online) as they tell you what rights of way exist (which GM doesn't) for open common land you can use GM in satelite view to look for tell tail lines indicating a trail.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No idea about Croydon, but you have the whole of the Surrey Hills.

Regular rides in London Calling (link in my sig) or

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/joinaraide/
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Hi

I love finding new trails and the few i use are

www.opencyclemap.org

and

www.strava.com

Open Cycle Map shows you the Byways/Bridal Paths and Foot Paths, then go to Strava and click Explore at the top, then Segments, find your area, see what segments get highlighted round the paths on Open Cycle Maps.

if there are some, you can click it and it will show you who as ridden down it, you can then also click there ride and see what loop they did to then find more bits that dot have segments on them.

if you find something good, then i always create my own segment for other people to do the same to find new routes them self. also sometimes just go for a ride and Explore, see whats in all directions in a forest and once you have knowledge of basic area and dont feel lost, you can then link it up into a big ride.
  • thanks for that. Found a few routes for the weekend.
  • iwilldoit
    iwilldoit Posts: 710
    I like using something like Multimap and search on their OS map and then you can flick to satellite view and then you can see if the track is visible on the ground, so you know when you go to ride it that it's still there and you have a track to follow.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Just bought my 1st off road bike which I pick up at the weekend but was wondering on the best sources for finding the local off road trails / bridleways etc - I've found a few on google maps to get started but is there a more complete list / map source that may be worth a look (I'm based in Croydon so looking at the area just south of that / top edge of the North Downs)
    viewforum.php?f=20007
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I use the Viewranger app on my phone, downloaded the OS Landranger 1:50k. Very good if you're looking for footpaths that you can link up for a day's ride. It also tracks your route, speed and elevation throughout the day.
    Is a bit battery thirsty, especially if you keep checking the map. But you can buy a USB charger for your phone for a tenner which suited me :-)
  • I have Endomondo sports tracker installed on my phone which has several trails on the South Downs, you can add your own too. I have to say though the best rides I have ever had have been cycle to the top of the hill without a map and follow your nose having conversations like "we have never been that way before I wonder what is that way?". You tend to find you cover a lot more ground than when you stick to trails you know. Also club rides are fun and can help you build confidence and knowledge whilst meeting some like minded people.