As per title.

Not quite...BBC4
    Amended :)
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Thanks for the heads up! On record now
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Seen it before and clashed with Grayson Perry...now that would be interesting, get Grayson to interview and do a portrait of Lance.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    It's a brilliant documentary and well worth seeing by anyone who wants to have the whole Armstrong story summarised in 90 mins. A good reminder of what a socio-path he was in the way he tried to destroy the lives and characters of the Lemonds O'Reilly and the Andreus.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Seen it before, but it didn't stop me from absolutely hating the muppet. What a revolting piece of work.
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Enjoyed it as a good summary, and until the last couple of minutes didn't learn anything new. Until Betsy revealed how even in LA's confessional interview he still twisted the "hospital scene" - guess he couldn't bring himself to allow the link between PED use and cancer to be made as he still feels he has some mileage in the cancer survivor story. As always his truth isn't the actual truth
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    mr_poll wrote:
    As always his truth isn't the actual truth

True dat.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • As a heads up. If you want to search for it on iplayer, then you will need to search for "Storyville". Took me 5 mins just searching for The Lance Armstrong Story
  • einriba
    einriba Posts: 319
    that lad lance is such a nice chap...he's just misunderstood!! :shock:
    Getting up is the second hardest thing in the morning
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    USADA trying to stop him riding Georgie Boy's Gran Fondo now.

Think it might be time for a new bone Mr. Tygart...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Watched it with Mrs Goo, who only knew of his doping. She couldn't believe what a bar steward he was to have ruined the lives and reputations of decent people. Nor can I.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    It's a brilliant documentary and well worth seeing by anyone who wants to have the whole Armstrong story summarised in 90 mins. A good reminder of what a socio-path he was in the way he tried to destroy the lives and characters of the Lemonds O'Reilly and the Andreus.
    My wife came to tell me she was watching it and did I know a Doctor spectating him in 1999 could tell immediately he was on some sort of Juice.
    I said that, at that precise moment I must have exploded the same words (whatever) and that I knew he was boll**ks, so fer Fecks sake go away the subject is dead and Trust the BBC to dig it up again as the film is not new.

Now you (and the family) know what I've been going on about for 15 years and longer with that Sh*thouse Deutsche Telekom Team who employed Bjarne Riss and a load of cheating lying german scum who did exactly the same in 1996/97 and then allegedly won 6 Green Jersey's and much more.

When I finally joined her (with her offer to switch it off) she told me about the wife of a team mate etc, etc and just then a woman appeared on the screen and I said "That's Betsey who has stood her ground while he put her through Hell". The wife said "that's her" but obviously I knew that.
    I found it comforting to see so many people downing him and that Betsey can lead a better life now.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • I actually think he should be allowed to ride the Hincapie Sportive. Its not like its a race is it ? ;)
  • Yellow Peril
    I actually think he should be allowed to ride the Hincapie Sportive. Its not like its a race is it ? ;)

Should he be Strava banned?!
    @JaunePeril

• Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Only if he takes one of my KOMs
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    This documentary should be compulory viewing for all those who say he was unfairly cheated and they were all at it. It's not just the drug cheating that earned him so much hatred, many / most were probably doing the same albeit on a less indutrial scale in most cases. However, I'm not aware of anyone else who was involved so heavily in conspiracy and intimidation to protect themselves. When I watched it I was shocked at just how disgusting he actually was even though I thought I knew the basics of the story!
  • Yellow Peril
    Pross wrote:
    This documentary should be compulory viewing for all those who say he was unfairly cheated and they were all at it. It's not just the drug cheating that earned him so much hatred, many / most were probably doing the same albeit on a less indutrial scale in most cases. However, I'm not aware of anyone else who was involved so heavily in conspiracy and intimidation to protect themselves. When I watched it I was shocked at just how disgusting he actually was even though I thought I knew the basics of the story!

Agreed. There was a clip of Big Mig and I related to Mrs Peril the episode where Mig blows past LA in that time trial. she asked if Mig was on the gear and I said he was but he was a better patron and not such a tw@t.
    @JaunePeril

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Having watched this there was only one bit that genuinely made me angry. And that's the section about when he got cancer and Betsy Andreu said 'how can so young fit guy get cancer?'
    Well I've Betsy I've played hockey with three people who have had testicular cancer. Two are just fine, but one fought against it for ten years on and off, lost a leg and died aged 36 in the very week Armstrong got banned.
    So go f*ck yourself Betsy you ignorant cow.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Yellow Peril
    RichN95 wrote:
    Having watched this there was only one bit that genuinely made me angry. And that's the section about when he got cancer and Betsy Andreu said 'how can so young fit guy get cancer?'
    Well I've Betsy I've played hockey with three people who have had testicular cancer. Two are just fine, but one fought against it for ten years on and off, lost a leg and died aged 36 in the very week Armstrong got banned.

Testicular cancer is truly a terrible disease. I remember in the TV series "Cold Feet" the character played by James Nesbitt having testicular cancer and in one scene he's chased down the street by a giant bollock. I turned to Mrs Peril and asked if it there would have been so much hilarity if it had been about a woman suffering with breast cancer.

I had a scare myself about 15 years ago. I can remember sitting in Queens Hospital Nottingham in a corridor with nothing but a gown on with a line of others waiting for a scan. I remember thinking some of us are going to get some bad news today. As it was I was clear but the consultant still offered to chop one of my nuts off. I declined on the basis that we were still trying for the Perilettes but I did think about giving up cycling.

Back on topic the saddest thing about LA is that he won the cancer survival lottery and could have been a role model just as a rider in the pro peleton. In Betsy's words "he dropped the ball" there.
    @JaunePeril

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Think it was more she was explaining her own gut reaction to hearing terrible news.

That's how I took it anyway.

It's not the first time I've heard that kind of reaction either.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95 wrote:

+1

I must admit I'm not a huge fan of Betsy in this whole thing.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    Betsy's presence throughout those early years shows her as someone who wanted to share in the limelight of the team and was willing to accept a downright lie from her future husband rather than lose that. It's no coincidence that she's the only non-Armstrong wag we know anything about.

She was wronged, certainly, but just doesn't come across well as a person.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    iainf72 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

+1

I must admit I'm not a huge fan of Betsy in this whole thing.

Currently being turned upon in the clinic and on Twitter because Frankie thinks cycling is cleaner - apparently he's omerta now.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    ddraver wrote:

Apparently the Gran Fondo is a USAC sanctioned event and is therefore covered by the ban.

Several US Postal/Discovery riders were due to ride. As someone remarked they were getting the banned back together
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver wrote:

Apparently the Gran Fondo is a USAC sanctioned event and is therefore covered by the ban.

Several US Postal/Discovery riders were due to ride. As someone remarked they were getting the banned back together

Its a joke. I mean its allowing some doped riders to ride and not Armstrong. Same crime. Doping. I know all the issues around it but as we have heard before most riders understand that everyone was doping at that time.
    Do you think if Betsy's Husband was not kicked off the team she would have made a fuss? I mean she knew Armstrong was doping, she knew her husband was doping yet she never said a thing until he got kicked off the Armstrong Money Train. That's her issue ,money, anger and bitterness.
    Armstrong did get carried away but it's been blown completely over the top in my view. I doubt many team leaders were saints. We have heard far worse bulling story's than Armstrongs
    His name his back in the records for his tour wins as it should be in my view
    I'll get me coat :lol:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    ddraver wrote:

:lol:

Ok well that's slightly fair enough but there are more important things for USADA to worry about surely...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    RichN95 wrote:
    Woah, that's a bit OTT! Her reaction is typical of someone who has not had the misfortune to come face-to-face with it. Doesn't make her a cow but, on this specific issue, she may have been ignorant (in the correct sense of the word).

It's a bit like someone expressing shock that highly intelligent, well educated people from caring families end up homeless or in a psychiatric hospital.

My very active, sporty teenage nephew has been diagnosed with liver cancer and educated people have asked "How?" and "Why?" but I don't feel a need to slag them off. But if you're looking for reasons to dislike her...
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    edited October 2014
    Simon E wrote:
    Woah, that's a bit OTT! Her reaction is typical of someone who has not had the misfortune to come face-to-face with it. Doesn't make her a cow but, on this specific issue, she may have been ignorant (in the correct sense of the word).

It's a bit like someone expressing shock that highly intelligent, well educated people from caring families end up homeless or in a psychiatric hospital.

My very active, sporty teenage nephew has been diagnosed with liver cancer and educated people have asked "How?" and "Why?" but I don't feel a need to slag them off. But if you're looking for reasons to dislike her...
    This isn't an event that happened last week. It happened 18 years ago. That's a hell of a long time to stay ignorant. It almost looks like willful and purposeful ignorance.

Also, with regard to your nephew, 'how' is a legitimate question - they are trying to understand. Had they suggested that it had been caused by some sort of behaviour by him or his parents I'm guessing you would have reacted differently.
    Twitter: @RichN95