Ched Evans.

tim_wand
tim_wand Posts: 2,552
edited October 2014 in The bottom bracket
I don't want to debate the right or wrong of Ched Evans possible return to the profession of playing football.

What does surprise me is this.

Mr Evans maintains his innocence and in a statement today goes on to say he will establish this position.

However for the last two and a half years, Mr Evans status has been that of a convicted rapist. Convicted in a court of his peers and sentenced by a Judge.

Subject to any up coming or previous appeals we must consider this conviction as Valid.

As a sentenced offender Mr Evans would have been expected to participate in Offender Behaviour programs to reduce his risk of reoffending and to rehabilitate him.

Sex offender treatment programs and Enhanced thinking skills (S.O.T.P and E.T.S) would have been identified as appropriate interventions for Mr Evans to participate in.

However by maintaining a position of Innocence or denial of offences, Mr Evans would have not been able to undertake any of these courses as he would not have fit the treatment criteria.

How then has Mr Evans been successful in achieving release under licence at what must have been his first Parole Board hearing.

Or to cut a long story short, how has he demonstrated that he has reduced his risk?

Comments

• slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    1 Release Provisions in England and Wales
    1.1 Release framework for determinate and indeterminate sentences
    Determinate sentences
    The notes that follow are a simplified summary and should not be relied upon for establishing release dates for individual prisoners.
    The legislation in respect of the release of prisoners has changed a number of times, most recently as a result of the Legal Aid, Sentencing and Punishment of Offenders Act 2012, where relevant provisions commenced on 3 December 2012.
    Generally speaking, most adult prisoners with determinate (in other words, fixed) sentences are now released at the half-way point, in line with the Criminal Justice Act 2003 (the 2003 Act), taking into account time spent on remand and the eligibility of the prisoner for Home Detention Curfew. Prisoners serving sentences of 12 months or more will be subject to a conditional licence upon release which will be in place until the end of the sentence. The offender will be subject to probation supervision whilst on a licence, which will require them to comply with the supervision requirements, be of good behaviour, plus whatever other specific conditions might be required in the particular case, eg contact and exclusion zone conditions. Release from sentences of less than 12 months is unconditional at the half-way point.

Prison and rehabilitation aren't usual words used in the same sentence.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,717
    Oh come on!

You have just killed a highly potential thread using logic, fact and being serious.

How dare you!

If he was a plumber would there be this issue?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    My Knowledge is pre 2009.

Has he been ask to complete SOTP and ETS in the community as a condition of licence.

He would have definitely have to sign up to the SOREG (sex offenders register) and I would imagine this would make his reemployment in a public arena problematic at least.

It used to be that any determinant sentence over 4 years became parole eligible at the 1/2 way point, but still conditions of a parole board had to be meet, the key one reduction of risk, and as I ve highlighted the key determinant in this for sex offenders was completion on SOTP and ETS.

I know a lot of Offenders went to human rights lawyers to complain that lack of resources and places meant that they were unlikely to be progressed through their sentence plans within a time frame which could present them as having reduced their risk at first parole hearing.

So have we bottled it and removed this criteria through fear of legislation? As I still don't see how a Convicted Offender in denial of Offences has been released at halfway point. How has he reduced his risk?

He hasn't as yet won any appeal, therefore the conviction must be viewed as Sound.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,717
    That's just how it is. Innit?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.