You're a bunch of bankers

Sleeper Cell
Sleeper Cell Posts: 105
edited October 2014 in The bottom bracket
There were a couple of programmes on TV recently about 'day traders' who dabble on the foreign exchange markets as a full-time job. I thought it looked quite interesting so I now have a demo account (I won't name the company in case I break some unwritten rules) which allows me to pretend to be investing my own money.

I started off with 10,000 Euros, went down pretty quickly to 7,700 and now I'm back up to 10,800 or so. It's strangely addictive watching the bars rise and fall and my balance creep up or down while I try to judge the best time to buy or sell.

Anybody else spend their time making out they're a city banker?

For info, Oil-20Nov14 is overpriced at the moment and I'm waiting for it to drop so the short-selling I did this morning pays me back (currently 90 Euros down while the market bobbles around before the drop). Made a killing on NDAQ100 yesterday and just waiting for silver to drop further (was down 200, now down 35 so it should go positive soon).

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Come on share the link to the website then we can all join in and we can have a league table of top bankers.....there's a few on here :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • I'm using trading212.com, but others are available. Just make sure you don't accidentally open a real trading account and blow 10,000 while you get to grips with it.

As predicted, Oil is dropping, just waiting to sell.
  • Out of oil with a 100 euro profit and silver with a 60 euro profit.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,303
    I do believe the collective noun for bankers is 'wunch' as in "a wunch of bankers".
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    Out of oil with a 100 euro profit and silver with a 60 euro profit.
    There is a high chance that you are doing it wrong, although with a little profit.
    The main idea is to buy low, sell high.
    Oil is at a two year low and likely to go up once people start burning fuel for winter heat.

But then, if I knew what I was talking about, I wouldn't have to work for a living.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    The trouble with demo accounts it's easy, no stress when a stock falls and you just wait a while. Not like that when it's your hard earned and your hairs falling out by the handful you panic and sell, and the price goes up, stick with the demo. :D
  • That happened to one of the people on the programme. Made a killing on the demo then lost her own money.

I just think that I'm destined to be the world's best ever trader and make so much money I can buy BikeRadar. Just need a couple of billion.
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    Sounds a lot like a poker site :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It is. You don't pay tax on some of the revenues (esp if spread betting) as it is gambling.

Gold should be going up, oil is down at the mo, GBP up and down like a whore's drawers, EUR to plummet - would be interested to see in May 2015.
  • Just opened a "dummy account" on Monday just to see if I can make a better go of this as my share account is down £6k which is way better than it was at the start of the year (down £16k)!