Froome :- I don't think I will Play

deejay
deejay Posts: 3,138
edited December 2014 in Pro race
Chris Froome (Sky) said the 2015 Tour de France presented Wednesday “is about the mountains” and that he could skip the race in favor of the time trial-heavy Giro d’Italia and the Vuelta a España.

“There’s no two ways about it, next year’s Tour is going to be about the mountains,” Froome said in a press statement.
“There’s very little emphasis on time trialling which means the race will be decided up in the high mountains,” Froome said. “With six mountaintop finishes it is going to be an aggressive and massively demanding race.”

Froome said the race suits Spain’s Alberto Contador (Tinkoff-Saxo), but he also mentioned Colombia’s Nairo Quintana (Movistar) and 2014 winner and Italian Vincenzo Nibali (Astana). Contador and Quintana have already put the 2015 Tour, slated for July 4-26, on their program

Yer gotta Laugh. :lol:

Re: Giro 2015
RichN95 wrote:
sjmclean wrote:
If there is a huge TT could Froome be tempted to do the double?
No.
Err, make that very much a yes.

23 maja - etap 14: Treviso - Valdobbiadene, 59,2 (ITT) *****

Of course it's irrelevant.
A 60km ITT is not going to influence Froome's goal one little bit.
Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Froome will do the Tour. Don't worry about that. And he won't do the Giro either.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    edited October 2014
    Why?

Edit - Rich - FastFingerz - N95 beat me with his post...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    ddraver wrote:
    Why?

If Nibbles and Quintana go to the Tour then he'll look a bit like he's ducking them. Whether this should be a consideration for him is another matter.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    ddraver wrote:
    Why?

'Cos it's perceived (by the public) as the biggest race of the year and Sky will want him there, not some second rate GC wannabe leading the team.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    He'll do the Tour. Don't see why he shouldn't sound off a bit about potentially missing it though, its a pretty unbalanced route they have picked clearly with the intention of favouring the "pure" climbers over the likes of Froome and even Contador.
  • ddraver wrote:
    Why?
    Because the Tour is everything and the Giro is only for reserve teams and Italians.
    © Rich 2014

:wink:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    However, having said that he will definitely do the Tour, that was with a solely sporting view.

From a commercial point of view Sky will want to be big in Italy next season. They have just bought Sky Italia from Fox and have the Serie A football rights from next season, so they are on a big commercial push there. A visible Giro is important
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    RichN95 wrote:
    However, having said that he will definitely do the Tour, that was with a solely sporting view.

From a commercial point of view Sky will want to be big in Italy next season. They have just bought Sky Italia from Fox and have the Serie A football rights from next season, so they are on a big commercial push there. A visible Giro is important

But to recap you're saying he won't do the Giro but will do the Tour?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

But to recap you're saying he won't do the Giro but will do the Tour?
    Yes.

(But with the get out clause that if he was ever tempted to skip the Tour in favour of the Giro, next year would be the best year to do it).
  • So it's just a tantrum?
    left the forum March 2023
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Whatever Froomie does is ok by me, his job is to WIN, not make up the numbers.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • Be nice to see him at the Giro... I think he got scared of the Pave'... :lol::lol:
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    Be nice to see him at the Giro... I think he got scared of the Pave'... :lol::lol:

He didn't make it as far as the Pave!
  • I think its just Froome covering his backside, he did the same at this years Vuelta quite a bit.

Having said that my money is on the little Bruce Lee fella (Quintana)
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Be nice to see him at the Giro... I think he got scared of the Pave'... :lol::lol:

I'd be scared of the Pave if I was riding with a broken wrist too !!!
  • deejay
    I did the OP for a laugh because I thought he had done a Duffield with his size 13 in his mouth.

I did realise that (like Nibali this month) he will do what the Sponsors say and their man Sir D B as the go between.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    I wonder how much might be read into the fact that there was no one significant from Team Sky at today's launch? The team were sailing on a team building event and Wiggo was at the Q Awards with Johnny Marr. Maybe they don't give a hoot?
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    We re still labouring under the misapprehension that Wiggo is a GT contender then? Ok, noted
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • carbonclem
    ddraver wrote:
    We re still labouring under the misapprehension that Wiggo is a GT contender then? Ok, noted

No, I just mentioned it as an aside really. Wiggins not participating in team building speaks volumes ... what does Team Sky's non attendance at the Tour say? Anything?
  • ddraver wrote:
    Why?

'Cos it's perceived (by the public) as the biggest race of the year and Sky will want him there, not some second rate GC wannabe leading the team.

That's Sir Bradley to you son!!
  • Konig did much better than Froome at the Tour this year.
  • deejay
    That's Sir Bradley to you son!!
    He might be to you but to some of us, he is still the Street Urchin of Herne Hill Track.
    That Title now allows him to go his own way and good luck to him.
  • CarbonClem wrote:
    what does Team Sky's non attendance at the Tour say? Anything?

To be honest... why do you have to be there? A few minutes later everything is available online... it's just bollox for the press, innit?
  • carbonclem
    CarbonClem wrote:
    what does Team Sky's non attendance at the Tour say? Anything?

To be honest... why do you have to be there? A few minutes later everything is available online... it's just bollox for the press, innit?

I guess so, but many others attend and they have in the past as I recall. Maybe they should cut it all back to a You Tube link via Twitter? :D
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Neal Rogers retweeted

UK Cycling Expert @ukcyclingexpert · 24h 24 hours ago

Confirmed, then, that the Le Tour de France will NOT visit Great Britain in 2015. Doesn't seem the same somehow!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    What's better for Sky: Winning the Giro or Vuelta - or another no podium finish in the Tour (but having their best rider there)?
  • RichN95.
    Pokerface wrote:
    What's better for Sky: Winning the Giro or Vuelta - or another no podium finish in the Tour (but having their best rider there)?
    Winning the Giro or Vuelta.

But I don't think they actually get to make that choice.
  • ddraver wrote:

They invite all the tour winners to the presentation each year, no? Evans was there yesterday and I don't think he'll be up there either
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • CarbonClem wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

No, I just mentioned it as an aside really. Wiggins not participating in team building speaks volumes ... what does Team Sky's non attendance at the Tour say? Anything?
    After the Spring Classics next year Wiggins effectively won't be riding for Sky.
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    CarbonClem wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Kennaugh couldn't go because he was going away to Vegas. What of it?

I think it's far too easy to criticise Brad, but he's as much a team player as most.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.