Mallorca Recommendations

katiebob
katiebob Posts: 208
edited January 2015 in Road beginners
Hi,

Hubby and I have booked a trip to Mallorca (Pollensa) in April next year. Looking for recommendations for:

Restaurants
Bike hire places (looking at pollensa cycling as they have X-Small frames)
Routes for beginners
Anythig else we should be aware of

Thanks

Comments

• whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    If you go the Tour, Routes and Audax section and then Tour and Expendition put Majorca in the search there will be enough threads to keep you going until next April.
  • Katiebob wrote:
    Hi,

Hubby and I have booked a trip to Mallorca (Pollensa) in April next year. Looking for recommendations for:

Very nice! I assume you mean Port de Pollenca rather than Pollenca town?
    Restaurants

If you go to the pedestrianised part which is just to the North of the roundabout in the middle of town there's loads of restaurants all along the strip, you can't really go far wrong. Worthy of mention is the posh restaurant out on the pier, expensive but really nice food, worth a try for a romantic meal out.
    Bike hire places (looking at pollensa cycling as they have X-Small frames)

Them, Pro Cycle Hire and Rent March, all pretty decent.
    Routes for beginners

First place to start is South out of the town along the bike path to Alcudia. Then try some of the back lanes that connect Port de Pollenca with Pollenca town.

But; you have to ride out to the Cap de Formentor lighthouse, you can see the first climb from everywhere in PdP. It's a bit hilly but very doable, but most of all it's the law ;)

Best tip I can give is that in April it can vary between 25C and hot to 15C cool and rainy, so take arm warmers etc.
  • Regular visitor to Pollensa for a number of years and particularly happy to advise on restaurants.

The restaurant on the pier that has been referred to is either La LLonja or Stay depending on which pier they mean. Both are great and both are expensive

This is a good forum for all things PP

http://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    This was good when we had an extended family holiday there:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant ... lands.html

It was 2000 however.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    whoof wrote:
    If you go the Tour, Routes and Audax section and then Tour and Expendition put Majorca in the search there will be enough threads to keep you going until next April.

This^^^

Loads of advice and suggestions here.
    Nothing else to add except I am extremely jealous. Mallorca is cycling heaven. Enjoy 8)
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • katiebob
    katiebob Posts: 208
    Missed all these replies! Fab thanks all :-)
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Went in June - loved it.

Loads of places to eat. Try Frito Mallorquin and Tumbet - yum!
  • fnb1
    fnb1 Posts: 591
    what dates are you going?

if you have not booked a bike hire best get on it as the availability was scarce just last week. Pollensa Cycling Center, Max Huezleur (sp?) and Procyclehire are the most prolific operators, all have good bikes and decent customer service (can be stretched a bit when busy).
    What dates are you there? PM me, I am out with a large group that ride out with a number of groups/ability level, you would be welcome to tag on a ride or tw.
    fay ce que voudres
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    We've rented these for May. http://bikehead.se/bikes/cannondale-sup ... trega-di2/

The company were really helpful to deal with and are delivering the bikes to our hotel.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    If you use Procycle I'd recommend emailing them to confirm your booking. I reserved a nice bike with them in April 2013 via their website (about the busiest month of the year). Turned up to collect it to be told my reservation wasn't logged. They eventually found it in some sort of junk folder, meaning it had failed (their website's fault not mine). Guy there didn't seem too bothered or apologetic ("yeah, this happens all the time"), just went and got me what they had left in the back - a sh*t 10yr old Giant - and still charged me full whack for it. Be warned!!
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Tolo's is a great place to eat, on the front in port de pollenca.

Whereabouts are you staying? Likely to be load of Brits out there in April (indeed I'm out there myself for a fortnight with the Ciclosol training camp), it should be fairly easy to tag onto a group to find some nice routes around the island.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    La Cabana tapas restaurant in Puerta Pollenca is fantastic. Superb fixed price menus and a lovely little terrace out the back.

We hired bikes from Pro Cycle Hire and found the service was generally good although my Van Nicholas didn't have a computer on it which was a little annoying as I didn't notice until we were a few miles up the road!
  • April is a very popular time for cycling here and organised rides leave from a number of bike shops as well as from Tolo's restaurant on the seafront (worth eating here also).

I would suggest having a look at our route section to see if there are any highlights you wish to schedule in (Cap Formentor with its new surface is a must). If you are fit, Sa Calobra is always high on bucket lists and the route via the lanes to Col de Sa Batalla always gets rave reviews.

Make sure you take care with the sun, sweat removes suntan cream as well as the essential salts your body needs. Additional electrolytes and fluids are a must. From experience, at least 30% of cyclists coming here miss at least one day of their holiday due to a mild or not so mild sunstroke.

Enjoy! It's going to be brilliant!
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    I would avoid pro cycle hire. I worked there and rogers experience was an almost daily embarrassment occurring which when things get bad the management just get the car and drive away leaving it with the staff. Quite easily ruin your trip. Go with balear reisen for a nice canyon, or max hurzeler are opening a brand new station in the port to service the english holiday maker. Great bikes and more importantly faultless reliable service.
  • I would avoid pro cycle hire. I worked there and rogers experience was an almost daily embarrassment occurring which when things get bad the management just get the car and drive away leaving it with the staff. Quite easily ruin your trip. Go with balear reisen for a nice canyon, or max hurzeler are opening a brand new station in the port to service the english holiday maker. Great bikes and more importantly faultless reliable service.

Agree with this experience, nice guys there but customer service leave a lot to be desired.

Recommend Sport Becqui in Alcudia. Really helpful guys, decent hire bikes and they'll sort out most problems while you wait.
  • I'm off there for a couple of weeks in May staying at Cala D'Or.

Others have mentioned Canyon Base there. Are they any good?
  • foxydan
    foxydan Posts: 83
    I was there in November and have to agree with a few of the comments for Pro cycle hire. Although I didn't have any problems once there I did chase up my order through there website which initially they didn't see but found eventually. I'm going again in summer but think I will try another supplier.