Used full sus, budget bike!

Craig24
Craig24 Posts: 150
edited October 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hello everyone,

Currently riding a hardtail Cannondale Trail SL and looking to add a full sus to the mix.

Only have around a £600 budget and looking at used stuff. Any suggestions? I mostly ride trail centres such as Gisburn, Llandgela, Lee Quarry. Doing the reds, little bit of the black stuff.

Been looking at the Trek Fuel Ex 8, but it seems there a little over my budget still.

Comments

• Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    The Boardman Team FS comes in around that price for the 26" on ebay. Highly regarded bike.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Craig24
    Craig24 Posts: 150
    Thanks, I never considered that bike, I will check it out.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    More of a left field choice (and less crop up) but the Rockrider 9.2 is a good bike and just shades the Boardman on the slightly tougher trail centres. Less well known as well so go a little cheaper.

Also keep an eye out for a slightly older (not to old) Anthem/Trance or Stumpy FSR which will hit your budget.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I'd be looking at bikes like Specialized Stumpjumper, Specialized Epic, Specialized Enduro, Giant Reign, Giant Trance, Trek Fuel etc.

Should find a few of each in the Pinkbike Classifieds for £600 or under.

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/list/?r ... rice=..600

Having said that, regardless of what bike you decide on, if buying 2nd hand try and buy local so you can check out all the linkages and pivots to make sure there's no play or cracks etc.

Speaking from experience, buying a bike that turns out to have a crack in it introduces cost and hassle most of us could do without.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Rad2474
    Rad2474 Posts: 162
    I have the DL version of this bike with the sector air fork and it's great off road. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kona-Tanuki-2 ... 43d11b3822
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    The Rookie wrote:

Also keep an eye out for a slightly older (not to old) Anthem/Trance or Stumpy FSR which will hit your budget.
    Yeah I've got a Stumpy from 2007 and it's an awesome bike, they come really cheap second hand too. That said, I would get a more modern one of I were you as they'll probably be in better condition