Driving to Excel London (Docklands) from the west...

bartman100
bartman100 Posts: 544
edited October 2014 in Commuting chat
Driving to Excel London E16 1DR on Saturday from Bristol. Am I foolish to try and drive through the centre (9am ish)? I really want to avoid M25 so have considered parking somewhere around about Acton and tubing it in from there. Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Ha ha ha...driving through central London at 9AM. Ha ha ha.

I haven't one that good for ages! You bumpkins make me laugh.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    bartman100 wrote:
    Any advice appreciated.
    Get the train. Seriously.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    I hate public transport with a passion, but even I'd get a train.
  • Traffic isn't that bad on the weekend, and the M4 does go a reasonable way into west London, if you can park nr then it might make sence, but since trains to paddington and then tube are fairly painless like others I'd suggest public transport.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    My Dad did the cricket a couple of times at The Oval and Lords and drove up the M4 and parked at Uxbridge and tubed into central London.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • london is one of the biggest cities in the world.... Lords/Oval are nowhere near Excel (ie at least half an hour). If you must drive then use the M25, at that time it will be empty and the M11/A12 will drop you almost at the Excel.

Alternatively get the train.... though Paddington to Excel will take the best part of an hour
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Why are you so desperate to avoid the M25, yet happy to contemplate driving through Central London?

At the weekends, my observation is that loads of people seem to go out for short journeys; motorways tend to be free-flowing, but anything in town is a disaster (made worse by the number of weekend drivers who don't seem to know where they're going, or how to negotiate the junctions efficiently).

The M25 will be 70mph all the way.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    TGOTB wrote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Koncordski wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    No exaggeration. I'm racing every weekend at theis time of year, all over the South East, needing to arrive at venues around 9.15-9.30. The only motorway with any delays at all, at that time on a Saturday morning, is the M23.

For the OP, M25/M11 is a no-brainer. You *might* save 10 mins by driving round the North Circular, but if it goes wrong you'll spend an hour sat in the Arnos Grove traffic jam.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • I can confirm that at 8:00ish on a Saturday morning between M4 and M11 it is relatively empty and you can go as fast as you want
  • thanks for all the tips. I'll be hittng the M25 about 09:25am. So 2 best options:-

1. M4 -> M25 -> M11

2. M4 -> West London tube station -> DLR
  • Go for option 1 - it will be quicker and easier.

Tube/DLR will take the best part of an hour and M4/M25 to a tube station will take half an hour. If you do go for tube aim for a stop on the Central Line (ie Ealing)
  • Anything you want to share with us??

Comic Con!!!!
  • fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    It shouldn't be bad on a Saturday. I reckon 45 minutes from Hammersmith flyover to docklands.
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • Anything you want to share with us??

Comic Con!!!!
    correct! For my daughter + friends. Honest.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    bartman100 wrote:
    Anything you want to share with us??

Comic Con!!!!
    correct! For my daughter + friends. Honest.
    Bearing in mind that this is you're daughter that we are talking about, would it be wrong to say POIDH?
    For those that don't know, Comic Con girls =
    comic_con_girl_ii_s24.jpg

Yeah, I suppose it would be.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!