Washed out on some wet leaves cracked helmet :-(

sigorman85
sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
edited October 2014 in Road general
My first real off all year ..was my fault as should have known there would be some wet leaves on the road but I'm so used to doing it in the dry
Lucky the helmet to most of the impact but now need a new one as it cracked along with the shifters and pedals taking a battering....was lucky I didn't hurt myself bit sore but il live ...just goes to show that a helmet helps

9926260C-C069-4B7C-B067-92C38D9A9569_zps3a0owljv.jpg

40DD7A69-4F62-4B92-B534-33B582118C5D_zpsdgrs0mdc.jpg

742539AD-6859-4459-949E-D852413ADE37_zpsc4b1kdpa.jpg
When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2

Comments

• ThanksBye
    ThanksBye Posts: 519
    Spesh will do you a discounted helmet if you still have your POP. Hope all heals up soon.
    Cotic Soul
    Pearson Hanzo
    Airborne Zeppelin
  • dilatory
    dilatory Posts: 565
    Something something would've been safer without a helmet. Your head would've taken the impact and you'd be £70 better off!
  • sigorman85 wrote:
    ...just goes to show that a helmet helps...
    You need to be careful with logic and evidence around here.

Get well soon.
  • sigorman85
    Ah true and thanks for some info how would I ho about getting discount???
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

• I used Google. It's an internet-based search engine.
    Helmet crash replacement Policy
    If a helmet is damaged during a crash within 2 years after the purchase date, the
    Specialized dealer will replace this helmet for 50% of the original purchase price.
    Therefore, the dealer needs an original proof of purchase and the damaged helmet.

from

http://cdn.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/pdf ... ww.com.pdf
  • ThanksBye
    ThanksBye Posts: 519
    Thats the american site, in the uk its a fixed price more like 40% off.
    Cotic Soul
    Pearson Hanzo
    Airborne Zeppelin
  • My boy had a spesh helmet which he managed to damage. Sadly we didn't have any POP but spesh uk were excellent and sent him a new one at about 50% off with no hassle. Mind you he was 5 at the time so perhaps that helped...?
  • sigorman85 wrote:
    My first real off all year ..was my fault as should have known there would be some wet leaves on the road but I'm so used to doing it in the dry
    Lucky the helmet to most of the impact but now need a new one as it cracked along with the shifters and pedals taking a battering....was lucky I didn't hurt myself bit sore but il live ...just goes to show that a helmet helps

And the shoes. Had you been riding bare footed the shoe shows you clearly saved your heel a painful GRAZE.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Join the club.

In the space of 2 bike rides I had 1 off and 2 other near misses where the bike was sliding out of control but by some miracle I managed to stay upright.

Building a tarmac cycle path that meanders through woodland /parkland between roads is a nice idea, but a death trap at this time of year. They need some bod to blow the leafs of the cycle path.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    As my wife never listens to me when I moan about my cycling injuries, you guys are going to have to listen!!
    Had a recent off without my hemet, luckily I was able to use my head to stop me damaging my rapha jacket - bike and clothing were ok - now I have a nasty scar, about 3" on my head. Being bald makes the scar really show visable as well.
    Each to their own - I still ride without a helmet when I'm doing my commute. But always wear a helmet when clipped.
    The dislocated shoulder is the real killer - not on topic at all I know!

I'm now just popping to the shops (without my helmet) to stock up on popcorn for the next round of the great helmet debate!
    Ride safe peeps.
  • w00dster wrote:
    I'm now just popping to the shops (without my helmet) to stock up on popcorn for the next round of the great helmet debate!
    There is no debate. The final answer was that while riding with a helmet may reduce the chances of and severity of a head injury in some circumstances, it can't protect riders in all situations from all injuries caused either by themselves or other road users. While some people quote some stats, other people quote others, each not actually proving their point but the increasing vitriol in successive posts eventually leads to the thread being locked.

Riders should wear helmets if they want to, and shouldn't if they don't want to. However, riders that choose to not wear a helmet are forever banned from trying to get sympathy for injuries received while not wearing safety equipment designed to mitigate the risk. Anybody complaining about such an injury is like a whining child that fails to see the link between their actions and the consequences. Thus:
    w00dster wrote:
    Had a recent off without my hemet...now I have a nasty scar, about 3" on my head.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Riders should wear helmets if they want to, and shouldn't if they don't want to. However, riders that choose to not wear a helmet are forever banned from trying to get sympathy for injuries received while not wearing safety equipment designed to mitigate the risk. Anybody complaining about such an injury is like a whining child that fails to see the link between their actions and the consequences. Thus:
    w00dster wrote:
    Had a recent off without my hemet...now I have a nasty scar, about 3" on my head.

That's a bit unfair. If I break my shin, do I get no sympathy because I could have been wearing full body armour? And are you suggesting (as I'm sure insurers and motoring lobby groups would like to think) that even if you are injured entirely due to someone else's negligent or even deliberate act, you should get no sympathy if wearing a helmet might have helped?!

Hell, I fall squarely on the "best to wear one" side of the great helmet debate but even I can see gaping chasms in the logic of your comments.
  • BigMat wrote:
    w00dster wrote:

That's a bit unfair. If I break my shin, do I get no sympathy because I could have been wearing full body armour? And are you suggesting (as I'm sure insurers and motoring lobby groups would like to think) that even if you are injured entirely due to someone else's negligent or even deliberate act, you should get no sympathy if wearing a helmet might have helped?!

Hell, I fall squarely on the "best to wear one" side of the great helmet debate but even I can see gaping chasms in the logic of your comments.
    I don't just make these rules up; they're a consolidation of many thousands of hours of internet debate. Basically, we're all adults and should wear what we like. BUT, if you get injured as a result of not taking all the self-protection measures available to you, have the decency to not whine about it. If you do whine about it, please do it very very quietly so nobody else can hear you.
  • sigorman85
    This isn't a debate about if a helmet saves your life or not!

• This time of year is a nightmare with leaves on the road - I take the British Rail approach and cancel routes worst affected. All it takes is the wrong angle, the wrong type of leaves and too much pressure on the brakes. I had a Giro Atmos which was hit by a car ( don't ask :) ) I was told they were reinforced internally so I continued riding with it without issues until the replacement arrived.

On side note, please try not to start a 'to wear or not to wear' debate.....it's a personal choice for the rider.
  • sigorman85
    Id rather not take the risk in wearing the helmet while its damaged I guess a few days off won't hurt to much

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Pleased you are ok ... Friend of mine had a similar encounter with wet leaves on a descent and ended in a field... Not mentioning the H word
  • Mikey23 wrote:
    Pleased you are ok ... Friend of mine had a similar encounter with wet leaves on a descent and ended in a field... Not mentioning the H word
    Helicopter?
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Yawn...the helmet debate...good bed time reading to help you sleep.
  • DavidJB wrote:
    Yawn...the helmet debate...good bed time reading to help you sleep.
    You're missing the point David. There is no debate. It has been settled, as detailed above.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    The debate will never be settled.
  • Get a new helmet. That one is compromised now.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Wet leaves are one of those risks well understood by regular, all-year cyclists, but not by newbies, summer riders cycle safety advocates, local councils, or drivers.
    Wet leaves are at their most dangerous when combined with camber, corners, white paint and slick metal.
    We should have a bikeforums auto-generated warning for seasonal dangers.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    I think it's good to highlight the hazard of wet leaves, even if it is fairly obvious (it's very easy to become complacent) - how many more leaves are going to be on the roads after the current storms pass through? The main road I came in on (in the car) was thoroughly carpeted with them.

Be careful out there folks, stay safe!
  • Had a similar encounter with wet tram tracks yesterday..and damaged helmet in almost the same spot as OP..maybe that where they are designed to flex, and break if the stresses are too much!!

As for the person saying helmet debate yawn yawn..I can only say…for me there is NO debate…wear one of end up badly hurt..your choice, for me there is no choice..the number of older riders I see with no helmet astounds me….but hey, as people like to say…my life, i will live it…pity the NHS usually picks up the tab after people of that ilk make a mess of their chosen daredevil stunts, or just plain reckless outlook.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Do you put tin foil over the top as well?
  • As for the person saying helmet debate yawn yawn..I can only say…for me there is NO debate…wear one of end up badly hurt..your choice, for me there is no choice..the number of older riders I see with no helmet astounds me….but hey, as people like to say…my life, i will live it…pity the NHS usually picks up the tab after people of that ilk make a mess of their chosen daredevil stunts, or just plain reckless outlook.
    When I nearly electrocuted myself because I ignored basic safety requirements and was working on live electrics, would I have been 'entitled' to treatment in your NHS? Or would a 'stupidity assessor' have guided me to the self-treatment cupboard?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    As for the person saying helmet debate yawn yawn..I can only say…for me there is NO debate…wear one of end up badly hurt..your choice, for me there is no choice..the number of older riders I see with no helmet astounds me….but hey, as people like to say…my life, i will live it…pity the NHS usually picks up the tab after people of that ilk make a mess of their chosen daredevil stunts, or just plain reckless outlook.
    How about the fact that it costs the NHS more to deal with risks associated with lack of exercise so if everybody cycled, even without a helmet, it would save the NHS millions? Shall we just ignore that because it doesn't fit your argument?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    When I nearly electrocuted myself because I ignored basic safety requirements and was working on live electrics, would I have been 'entitled' to treatment in your NHS? Or would a 'stupidity assessor' have guided me to the self-treatment cupboard?

Stupidity assessor.
  • :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The idea of a stupidity assesor made me really chuckle…that's a great idea…don't mention it to any Tory MPs it will happen and there will be a sliding scale of cost dependent on your position on the scale!!!

I get what people say about the NHS thing…but people do seem to take reckless risks without any real idea of the impact/cost if it all goes wrong…but then again…its the human condition, I just wonder if we had same situation as say the USA re medical insurance etc, people in general, when taking part in "dangerous" pastimes might actually take more care and buy correct equipment for what they are going to do…just a thought.
    I have no truck with anyone not wearing helmets etc…i just know if hadn't got the right stuff y/day I could, from the impact on my helmet have easily had a rather nasty swede injury.

And is it a global thing….the moment you know you are not badly hurt…your brain starts calculating the cost of damage to kit!!! Or is that the Yorkshireman in me!!! :D:D:D