1 1/2 tablespoons skimmed milk
    70ml Flora Cuisine
    90g self-raising flour
    90g soft brown sugar
    1 pinch salt

1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1 large egg, beaten
    3 chocolate fudge bars, diced into small pieces
    50g dried banana chips, broken in half (reserve a few whole ones for decoration)
    50g dark chocolate, broken into pieces, for decoration

Preheat the oven to 170 C / Gas 3.
    In a large mixing bowl, mash the banana and milk together. Add the Flora Cuisine, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and egg and whisk well together using an electric mixer. Fold in the broken banana chips and diced fudge (keeping a little fudge back for decoration).
    Transfer to a greased, lined 450g/1lb loaf tin or 20cm (8 inch) cake tin and level the top using the back of a damp spoon.
    Bake in the preheated oven for 40–45 minutes until the cake is golden-brown, well-risen and spongy to the touch. Allow the cake to cool for around 10 minutes before removing it from the tin and leaving it to cool on a wire rack.
    To decorate when cool, melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of hot water. Drizzle the melted chocolate over the top of the cake and top with banana and fudge pieces.
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    If we're talking celebrity cooks I'll have Lorraine Pascale please :D

shyXlo.jpg

Dk3k00.jpg
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    arran77 wrote:
    If we're talking celebrity cooks I'll have Lorraine Pascale please :D

shyXlo.jpg

Dk3k00.jpg

Can she bake though?

As opposed to just dressing in bac-o-foil...
  • arran77
    I wouldn't be getting her to do any baking :twisted:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    arran77 wrote:
    I wouldn't be getting her to do any baking :twisted:

What about a bit of roasting? :lol:
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • RideOnTime
    Getting a bit unsavory. Time for another recipe;

Eccles Cake

Ingredients

Serves: 8

30g butter
    150g dried currants
    2 tablespoons chopped candied mixed fruit peel
    50g demerara sugar
    3/4 teaspoon mixed spice
    1/2 (500g) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
    1 egg white, beaten
    4 tablespoons caster sugar for decoration
    Add to shopping list
    Print, email, send to mobile, or buy with online supermarkets.
    Method

Prep:20min › Cook:25min › Ready in:45min

Preheat oven to 220 C / Gas mark 7. Sprinkle a baking tray with water.
    In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in currants, mixed peel, demerara sugar and mixed spice. Stir until sugar is dissolved and fruit is well coated. Remove from heat.
    On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry to a 5mm thickness. Cut out eight 13cm circles, using a saucer as a guide. Divide the fruit mixture evenly between the circles. Moisten the edges of the pastry, pull the edges to the centre and pinch to seal. Invert filled cakes on the floured surface and roll out gently to make a wider, flatter circle, but do not break the pastry.
    Brush each cake with egg white and sprinkle generously with caster sugar. Make three parallel cuts across the top of each cake, then place them on the prepared baking tray.
    Bake in preheated oven 15 minutes, until golden.

mmmmm
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    years since i've had a real eccles cake, am off to lakes for a few days might have to hunt out a good cake shop!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • RideOnTime
    just remember the recipe is for 8
  • RideOnTime
    TFL_small5.jpg

Get it down...
  • arran77
    Ingrid Hoffmann

mNIsgX.jpg

Rachel Ray

n1fxTG.jpg

Giada de Laurentis

fCscLR.jpg

My kind of celebrity chefs 8)

seanoconn
  • RideOnTime
    two-fat-ladies.jpg

Take a cold shower.
  • RideOnTime
    I made the Eccles Cakes. Very successful.

Followed this;

Eccles cakes

This is how I made them for St John when it opened in 1994, with a simple butter and lard flaky pastry that can also be used for a modern banbury.

For the pastry
    400g strong white flour
    1 tsp salt
    25g caster sugar
    175g cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
    50g lard (or more butter), cut into small cubes
    1 medium egg, separated
    100ml cold water
    75ml cold milk

For the filling
    500g currants
    Finely grated zest of 2 lemons (or the best-quality lemon extract)
    50g dark soft brown sugar
    100g unsalted butter
    25ml brandy (optional)
    Granulated or demerara sugar

Put the flour, salt and sugar in a bowl and add the butter and lard. Whisk the egg yolk with the water and milk, and mix with the flour to a firm dough. Wrap, chill for 30-60 minutes, then, with a little flour, roll into a 2cm-thick rectangle. Fold in by thirds, then re-roll to the same size and fold again. Wrap and chill for 30-60 minutes. Repeat the double roll, fold and chill twice more.

Put the currants in a bowl, pour on 500ml boiling water and leave for five minutes. Drain thoroughly, then mix with the lemon, sugar, butter and brandy, and chill.

Roll the pastry to 2cm thick, cut in two and keep one piece chilled while you roll the other into a 0.25cm-thick rectangle and cut into six squares. Place a 50-60g ball of currants in the centre of each one, dampen the edges and bring together to seal. Flip it over, round the shape with your fingers, roll out slightly to flatten and place seam down on a baking tray lined with nonstick paper. Repeat with the other pastry and filling. Brush with beaten egg white, sprinkle with sugar, slash the tops and bake at 200C (180C fan-assisted)/390F/gas mark 6 for about 30 minutes.

Eccles-cakes-007.jpg
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    couldn't find any eccles cakes in cake shop while I was away at the weekend, they look ideal to take on longer rides, will give that recipe a shot at the weekend - cheers
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    A recipe so simple even I could do it:

1 cup of rolled/porridge oats per two (over)ripe bananas. Thats the base, then add anything else to taste - I have put in crushed almonds, maple syrup and cocoa. Dark chocolate chips are also good, as are dried fruit such as apricots or raisins.

Mash the bananas to a paste - the riper the better, add everything else, stir for a bit. Place in a bar-shape or cookie shape onto greaseproof paper, cook on 200 for about 20 mins or until crisping up, depending on preferred size (larger will take longer obv.), leave to cool then scoff. Or wrap in cling-film to take on ride. Great results from sod all effort.
  • RideOnTime
    I don't think there Bake Off winners though....