Tell me about Armwarmers

j_mcd
j_mcd Posts: 473
edited October 2014 in Commuting chat
So, it's that time of year where it's too warm for long sleeved tops but still a little chilly at 6:45. So, arm warmers could be the solution.

Never seen any in the shops so how on earth do you decide what size to buy? Also, any pointers on good/bad ones would also be greatly appreciated.
Giant Defy Advanced 0 - Best
Planet X London Road - Wet
Montague Fit - Foldy thing that rarely gets used these days

Comments

• planet x have them on sale fairly often and are fine. I run coolmax ones if its dry and cold and merino if wet and cold. Merino likely more often as it gets colder in the mornings.

size wise, length is never an issue tbh but width might be. I run smalls but have monkey long arms. Unless you're a giant beefcake unlikely to need bigger than mediums I would have thought. Rower might need xl's from what I hear...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • I've been using some Torm arm warmers for the past couple of years. They're lovely.
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    Sportful no rain are excellent;medium ones ok for my Froome-like scrawny arms.
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    I, too, have been using Sportful no-rain. They've been good down to about 8 degrees, or for short rides, but, on longer rides in lower temperatures, I suffer frozen arms as a result of windchill. I've just ordered a pair of Gore Windstoppers, to see if they provide the solution.
  • rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867
    Following some advice on here about a month ago, I invested in some of these:

http://www.prendas.co.uk/prendas-ciclis ... rmers.html

For the price, I don't think they can be beaten! They don't keep you dry, but they certainly keep you warm - perfect for this time of year.
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I've got DHB ones for when it's cold, Craft ones for when it's not quite as cold and Sportful ones for when it's raining.

I don't own and LS Jersey's any more. I find Roubaix lined arm warmers warmer than LS jersey sleeves so I don't see the need. If it gets too cold for them I'll put a base or a jacket on.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Drew123
    Drew123 Posts: 61
    Aren't they a bit of a faff though? I don't mind riding in the cold and dark, but it's all the extra clothing that is the biggest pain. Overshoes are a pain but essential, arm warmers? Just wear long sleeves...
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    edited October 2014
    Then I'd need long and short sleeve jerseys and swapping between the two mid ride if I got too hot would be a pain.

I don't see how they are a faff. I wore my arm warmers on the way in this morning and took them off when I got to town as the temp goes up a couple of degrees when you cross Richmond Park.

I didn't bother with them on the way home as it was warmer.

I wouldn't be able to do that if I had long sleeves.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    Arm warmers are really flexible and that is where there value lies. I do own ls jerseys but more often than not I go for the warmers.
  • Drew123
    Drew123 Posts: 61
    I get the flexibility thing - especially at this time of year... Wear them in the morning when it is chilly, not on the way home when it has warmed up, but I just know that next morning I'd go to put them on and then realise I'd left them at work... n+1 for arm warmers maybe? but I'd just end up with 20 pairs of arm warmers at the office, and cold arms on the way in... I need some kind of support vehicle, it's the only way.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    vermin wrote:
    I, too, have been using Sportful no-rain. They've been good down to about 8 degrees, or for short rides, but, on longer rides in lower temperatures, I suffer frozen arms as a result of windchill. I've just ordered a pair of Gore Windstoppers, to see if they provide the solution.

Below that you're not going to go bare arms so why go for the warmers?

Curious, not rhetorical.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Drew123 wrote:
    I get the flexibility thing - especially at this time of year... Wear them in the morning when it is chilly, not on the way home when it has warmed up, but I just know that next morning I'd go to put them on and then realise I'd left them at work... n+1 for arm warmers maybe? but I'd just end up with 20 pairs of arm warmers at the office, and cold arms on the way in... I need some kind of support vehicle, it's the only way.

or just roll them up and keep them handy in your jersey pocket...the real problem is colour matching them properly with your tops,thats when you end up with n+1 :)

Ive got some decent dhb Roubaix ones,which seem to suit the current temps quite nicely, and some plain Castelli ones which are better for spring and are quite good in showery weather and if Morvelo hurry up and release their autumn/winter range Id probably grab some more of theirs too.

but they arent the most expensive piece of cycling kit so you can try a few sizes out and see which are the most comfortable fit and theyll more than likely be at least a size under what you expected.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    J_MCD wrote:
    So, it's that time of year where it's too warm for long sleeved tops but still a little chilly at 6:45. So, arm warmers could be the solution.

Never seen any in the shops so how on earth do you decide what size to buy? Also, any pointers on good/bad ones would also be greatly appreciated.

You are kidding, right? What kind of LBS do you go to :?: :?:

Halfords stock them
    Evans stock them
    Any vaguely passable bike shop that has, you know, cycling-specific clothing will stock them.

So, where do you shop? Name and shame these places that don't have them? I'm genuinely intrigued...

Spesh market decent ones, Pearl Izumi are ok, Mavic, Assos, Castelli, are all good etc etc etc etc etc.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • I've got a few different brands but always revert back to my Prendas. Very easy to put on and off too!
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    vermin wrote:

Below that you're not going to go bare arms so why go for the warmers?

Curious, not rhetorical.

The normal use of arm-warmers is to convert a ss to a ls and back again, so that one can go bare-arms, as you say. This supposes that the torso is the part that requires greater coverage. I want things the other way around. My torso is never cold, probably, at least in part, because I wear a fakenger bag, but my arms get really cold, even in a LS jersey. Were I to wear a windproof shell over the top, to keep my arms warm, my torso would overheat, so my solution is to wear a lightweight LS top with extra arm-warmers underneath.

TLDR: My arms need to be better insulated than my torso, particularly from windchill.