Octavia v Ceed v Civic V Leon

bartman100
bartman100 Posts: 544
edited October 2014 in The cake stop
I'm after a super economic car - 2013 or 14 model with no more than 15000 on the clock. Any opinions? I'd want integrated sat nav, cruise control and decent audio but economy the main driver. Needs to be diesel. I do >30,000 miles a year. Needs £0 road tax. Octavia (Elegance) the favourite at present as most bang per buck.

Comments

• metronome
    metronome Posts: 670
    I quite like the lexus CT. The sportier models look well and you don't see many about. Nice interior and lots of gadgets.
    tick - tick - tick
  • interesting suggestion. WhatCar give it a bit of a slating however.
  • metronome
    metronome Posts: 670
    I hadn't got as far as looking up reviews. Yes quite the dire write up from What Car. I'll strike that off the list, not that I'm seriously looking at the moment. Have noticed quite a few Audi TDIs are now tax free, or very cheep to tax. 3 series, too. Another car I have been meaning to read up on is the new Mazda 3, saw one the other day and it looked very smart. Doubt it's as zero tax though.
    tick - tick - tick
  • If you are doing 30k pa then that must be nearly 800hours or over 3 weeks pa. Basing any decision on where you spend 3 weeks on saving £200 tax is fallacy. At that sort of mileage tax must be the 10th greatest cost. Economical cars by their nature will be cheap to tax anyway but I'd be wanting somewhere nice to sit rather than worrying about saving 20p/h Max on road tax.
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    Can't believe the previous poster mentioned 'road tax' on a cycling forum :shock:
    I like the look of Leons, but don't know anything about them.
  • Have a look at the Volvo V40 D2 R-Design Lux Nav - £0 VED, should give you 60 - 65 mpg, has all the bits you asked for if you get the model listed above and despite common misperceptions it's not an old mans car. Can't stop driving mine since picking it up but then I did get rid of a Honda CR-V!
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    I used to have the much maligned Prius T-Spirit. I had it for three and half years. Did 110k miles. Went thru one set of tyres and averaged over 60mpg every week without fail. With all the hours spent behind the wheel I never once felt fatigued even after a high mileage journey. I once drove back from Yorkshire to home over 250 miles and got 72mpg !. Plus it's zero rated tax. Auto trans and petrol so quiet.
    All in all the best car I ever had pleasure to drive as a reps car.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    2.0 Litre Golf TDI Bluemotion is the answer (IMHO)
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    I'm a serial VW buyer but am really impressed with the Leon ST. For my needs as a cyclist and windsurfer it's perfect - the completely flat load area, the ability to order a fold=flat passenger seat (tiny extra cost) and the usual range of Volkswagen engines makes it a fabulous car.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I would go for the one with the least gadgets... But thats just me
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm a serial VW buyer but am really impressed with the Leon ST. For my needs as a cyclist and windsurfer it's perfect - the completely flat load area, the ability to order a fold=flat passenger seat (tiny extra cost) and the usual range of Volkswagen engines makes it a fabulous car.

where do you live and where do you windsurf and can I have a lift?

Edit is this you?