Overshoes Advice

jfrankland1991
jfrankland1991 Posts: 100
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
Recently bought some Endura Neoprene Overshoes and found them really good, kept my feet really warm and a good fit. However, after just a couple of rides the neoprene on the inside of the right overshoe was completely worn through. I am assuming this was due to teh overshoe rubbing against the pedal arm.

Has anyone else had a similar experience and if so does anyone have any reccommendations for suitable replacements that wont wear? I am ideally looking for neoprene overshoes for the additional warmth.

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    If you aren't using clipless pedals, then I can't see any overshoe lasting for long. If the overshoes are rubbing and you are using clipless, then you could try moving the cleats towards the inside edge of the shoes to create a bit more clearance.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Endura

There's your problem right there. Utter rubbish. My first pair lasted 2 weeks. They replaced them and the second pair lasted 3 weeks.

I'd recommend BBB - soooo much better. In fact, pretty much anything other than Endura will be OK but BBB seem to be widely regarded as good. Read the reviews because I think some are slightly better than others but I don't remember which. I can get at least one winter season out of them. They are a wear item but you should expect a season out of them provided they aren't abused.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    I've experienced exactly the same problem with those overshoes.

I find Endura product's quality a bit hit and miss, same as the sizing which can vary wildly between different items.
  • I am using clipless pedals (mtb ones though on a road bike) so I will have a fiddle about with those to see if that helps. I have also heard BBB are good so I will have a look into those, thanks.
  • Elfed wrote:
    I've experienced exactly the same problem with those overshoes.

I find Endura product's quality a bit hit and miss, same as the sizing which can vary wildly between different items.

Have you gone with anything else then with this is mind?
  • Planet-X

Don't spend more than £10 on overshoes- they get trashed. And at the end of the day, it's just neoprene...
  • The Prendas overshoes are £30 and exceptional. The Assos S7 overshoes are good but pricey at £60.

Forget Endura, Shimano etc. The Planet-X are like flippers but they are cheap.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • I would say it's possibly your setup rather than a lack of quality with the overshoes, i had the same with a paid of BBB heavy duty Overshoes but it was because i didnt have the cleats setup properly which caused the rubbing.
  • Dippydog3
    Dippydog3 Posts: 414
    Complete waste of money. They all wear out too quickly.

Get a decent pair of winter cycling boots.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Although there are better overshoes than Endura (mind you I had one set last a couple of years) if the wear is due to them rubbing your pedal arm then other neoprene overshoes will have the same issue. One suggestion has already been made, move your cleats to try and create a gap - although if you're currently niggle-free when riding you might end up with knee pain through such a change so keep an eye on things. The only other suggestion I can make is put some duct tape on the overshoe where it's rubbing and let that be a sacrificial layer you can keep replacing, no clue if it would even last a ride though as have not needed to do it myself.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    +1 to above. I would agree that Endura are a poor choice for overshoes but that isn't the problem in this case. BBB overshoes won't last five minutes either if you rub them against the crank at every pedal stroke and you wouldn't want them if they did (because if you aren't wearing the overshoe away, you are probably wearing the crank away instead!).
    Faster than a tent.......